Mowing in the rain

/ Mowing in the rain #31  
We could use some rain. My strawberries are about ready to form berries on the blossoms and it's too dry. Have to get the water hose out tomorrow.
Dave.

You can have some of ours. I just wish it would quit raining and warm up. Our garden started and then the weather cooled back off and the garden has stalled. We've been getting the kind of weather we should be getting in late March.

/ Mowing in the rain #32  
You can have some of ours. I just wish it would quit raining and warm up. Our garden started and then the weather cooled back off and the garden has stalled. We've been getting the kind of weather we should be getting in late March.

Evening Cyril,

I'd like some of your rain. We had one rainy afternoon about two weeks back, that was the only rain for all of May. April was dry too. Just had three days of 90* temps, then a high of 73* today. Strange weather.

What became of FallbrookFarmer, is he back on his meds? :)
Dave.

/ Mowing in the rain
It's been hot and humid here since it stopped raining last week. My tomatoes woke up and started to grow, along with every weed known to man and lots of grass. Some stuff liked the cool and wet, other stuff likes the hot and humid. I've had bush beans up for what seems like a month, going nowhere. They should have shaded out the grass and weeds, but that didn't happen. This weekend is mowing time again. I'm working on remembering why I wanted a few acres in the country.....Ah yes....for retirement fun! Four years to go.

Chuck

/ Mowing in the rain
Dave,

If you read FallB's self-description, it says he likes to irritate liberals. I thought I satisfied his desires, but maybe I was not sufficiently demonstrative!

Chuck

/ Mowing in the rain #35  
It's been hot and humid here since it stopped raining last week. My tomatoes woke up and started to grow, along with every weed known to man and lots of grass. Some stuff liked the cool and wet, other stuff likes the hot and humid. I've had bush beans up for what seems like a month, going nowhere. They should have shaded out the grass and weeds, but that didn't happen. This weekend is mowing time again. I'm working on remembering why I wanted a few acres in the country.....Ah yes....for retirement fun! Four years to go.

Chuck

You have to get over this mowing thing while you are ahead :p Four acres is a lot to keep mowed. If we had poisonous snakes around here, I could see keeping a good buffer of open lawn around the house and garage. I have completely forsaken the mower this year. Mowing is a state of mind.

The weather is way off this Spring. I saw a few fireflies the other night when it was warm after dark. Also saw dragon flies last week. That is about a month too early. My pond looks like it's August.
Dave.

/ Mowing in the rain #36  
You have to get over this mowing thing while you are ahead :p Four acres is a lot to keep mowed. If we had poisonous snakes around here, I could see keeping a good buffer of open lawn around the house and garage. I have completely forsaken the mower this year. Mowing is a state of mind.

The weather is way off this Spring. I saw a few fireflies the other night when it was warm after dark. Also saw dragon flies last week. That is about a month too early. My pond looks like it's August.
Dave.

I agree, time to trade weather. If I remember correctly, I told you a while back that I was sending the sun your way. Time to give it back now.

I have to keep up on the mowing. Not an option. If I don't, then it begins to short out the electric fence and then I have cattle running loose. BTDT.

Last weekend, we went to our spring meeting of the Northwest Highland Cattle Assoc at a farm in Eastern Washington near the Idaho border. Even over there it wasn't all that warm. Saturday was actually cold, wet, and windy. Sunday and Monday were better, but not great. It should have been in the 80s by now, but was in the low to mid 60s. We made a camping trip out of it and stayed through Monday.

My daughter found a new pet to bring home. Here is a picture of the new pet.
Scorpion_1.jpg

...and some pix from the trip.
Camping_001.jpg
This pic was Saturday afternoon.

Camping_014.jpg
Camping_20_21_22.jpg
Camping_27_28_29_30_31_32.jpg
These we from sunday.

Grand Coulee Dam.jpg
This was Monday at Grand Coulee Dam.

...and, of course, to keep it tractor related, we had to stop by a John Deere dealer on Sunday to look at what kind of impliments are sold in REAL farm country.

This is one serious rototiller!
Tractor Pix_002.jpg
My wife found a tractor she liked. She said it goes with the rototiller she wants.:laughing:
Tractor Pix_006.jpg

Some other attachments.
Tractor Pix_003.jpg
Tractor Pix_004.jpg
Tractor Pix_005.jpg

/ Mowing in the rain #37  
Evening Cyril,

So, is that last pic a potato harvester or what? I don't think potatoes, maybe something that grows in close drilled rows?

Sounds like you had a nice weekend trip even if the weather was spotty.

Dave.

/ Mowing in the rain #38  
Evening Cyril,

So, is that last pic a potato harvester or what? I don't think potatoes, maybe something that grows in close drilled rows?

Sounds like you had a nice weekend trip even if the weather was spotty.

Dave.

I've had several people tell me that it is a potato harvester. Personally, I have no idea so I have to accept what others have said.

The weekend was good, but I have conflicting feelings about it as the budget is nonexistant this year and it probably would have been better not to have spent the money. Even so, I really did need the break. My real fear is that I'm afraid that we will end up loosing the house this comming winter.

/ Mowing in the rain #39  
I've had several people tell me that it is a potato harvester. Personally, I have no idea so I have to accept what others have said.

The weekend was good, but I have conflicting feelings about it as the budget is nonexistant this year and it probably would have been better not to have spent the money. Even so, I really did need the break. My real fear is that I'm afraid that we will end up loosing the house this comming winter.

Ouch, sorry to hear that. Hopefully, you have time to work on it and maybe find a solution.

If you want, throw out some scenarios and let TBN folks say what they might do or not do. Good sounding board at least and different perspectives to share. Don't sit and fret alone about it.
Dave.

/ Mowing in the rain #40  
Ouch, sorry to hear that. Hopefully, you have time to work on it and maybe find a solution.

If you want, throw out some scenarios and let TBN folks say what they might do or not do. Good sounding board at least and different perspectives to share. Don't sit and fret alone about it.
Dave.

In years past, I have always made $20-40K in overtime. With the current economy and the lag which government sees, we have had all noncritical overtime suspended. The result is that I will make about $40K less this year than last. With buying the tractor and having to replace my car which died, my bills have increased by about $700/month. As I have always overpaid my federal taxes, I stopped paying taxes in March and currently have around $100 left after bills each check right now. I will need to start paying taxes again by July, then things will start getting interesting. I also have $4K in half taxes left due on the ranch in October.

I figure I can sell my boom flail mower to cover the property taxes, but I'm still going to be going downhill once I start paying federal taxes. It's going to come down to what I'm willing to give up.

Well, my wife wants me to come watch a movie with them so I'm going to go for now.

Have a good evening Dave.