Mowing Mowing Just the Edges of a Field

/ Mowing Just the Edges of a Field #11  
I mow the perimeter of my field for several reasons.
Like said earlier, to keep the encroaching woodland growth down.
To provide a walking and UTV path around perimeter.
To mow around property stakes so neighbor doesn't hit them when he hays our field.

/ Mowing Just the Edges of a Field #12  
Notice some will take one cut thru mid of field. :confused3: around edges cleaning up falling tree parts mostly.

/ Mowing Just the Edges of a Field #13  
If he is a real farmer (not hobby), then he may have some of his land in a government program that pays him NOT to plant crops. The land is not to be touched in any way, except that it is supposed to be bush hogged or burned off every 5 years. My sisters neighbor has 80 acres in that program and he hasn't touched it in many years (much more than 5) and there are trees and large bushes 20 feet high in it. Several deer make it their home according to my brother-in-law. Probably several other animals also.

/ Mowing Just the Edges of a Field #14  
Gary Fowler,

Your presumption is incorrect. My farm is enrolled in a USDA encyclical conservation program. No hay restrictions whatsoever. Crop production limited to less than 50 percent of previous max production acres.

Government payment = minuscule. Incentive is Agricultural Exemption. A property tax reduction in NYS, a partial reduction only.

EDIT: Pallets mystery was solved years ago!!!!!

Last edited:
   / Mowing Just the Edges of a Field #15  
For me, in hay fields the edges were where the tree "stuff" fell and was hard on for the mower & bailer so a trip around the edges ground that stuff up, kept the underbrush & saplings under control and also imo, gave it a looked after appearance as a bonus. It also was access without flattening a bunch of hay prior to cutting.