Mowing Mowing Pattern / Discharge help

/ Mowing Pattern / Discharge help #1  

Climber

Tractor
Kubota B7300HSD
I will soon need to mow a rectangular field for the first time. The field is relatively free of obstructions. I am having trouble deciding on the best mowing pattern, and where to aim the discharge chute.

Is it better to:

1) Mow in a rectangular pattern, starting at the outside perimeter, and working your way towards the center?

2) Just go back and forth along the long side of the rectangle?

3) Start down the middle and work to the outside?

4) Some other pattern?

I want to minimize the number of 180 degree turns I have to make, since I cant’ turn tightly enough to take successive swipes without backing up and repositioning.

Also, is it generally agreed upon to discharge to the side that is already mowed? (I found one thread addressing the issue, and that seemed to be the consensus.

Thanks,

--Chris

/ Mowing Pattern / Discharge help #2  
I tried posting a drawing for you but it didn't work, so I'll try to explain the method we used for making ice with a Zamboni on a rectangular rink. This method allowed us to do the entire rink without backing up. I don't think that will be entirely possible with a CUT, but it should reduce the number of times you'd have to do a 180.

Make one or two passes all the way around the outside perimeter of the field. On the next pass, when you're coming across a short end of the rectangle, turn and go down the center of the field. When you get to the other short end, turn whichever way you want, back up, and then turn and go back up to the first short end. When you get to that end, turn to go back down the along the first center cut you made. I would think you could make this turn without backing up. Now just keep mowing in the same direction so that you're always making the turns in the same direction. You will end up driving over previously mowed areas as you come across the short ends, but you won't be backing up at all.

/ Mowing Pattern / Discharge help #3  
Golfgar,

Like this? (see attachment). That's how I do mine. I alternate the pattern 90 degrees every other week.

Attachments

• 2-135398-lawn.jpg
    2-135398-lawn.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 252
   / Mowing Pattern / Discharge help #4  
If I'm reading your diagram properly, not quite. After the one or two outside passes are made, the next pass goes down the middle and you will continue back and forth (maybe it's better to say around and around) from the center back toward the outside. Basically, you're just driving around in a big circle (rectangle). You'll always be making either left turns or right turns, depending on which you started.

This might be a stretch, but think of how after throwing a stone into a pond has the rings in the water going out from the center getting larger and larger. Kind of like that. /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif

Is that clear as mud?/w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

This could be alternated also, just by changing which side of the rectangle you decide to turn down into the middle from.

/ Mowing Pattern / Discharge help #5  
Golfgar4,

Are you describing a square figure eight pattern? That's mostly what I do. At least until I get bored and just start mowing this-away and that-away to break the monotony. Ever tried to write your initials?

Chuck

/ Mowing Pattern / Discharge help #6  
I guess you can't tell by my feeble attempt at a diagram, but that's what I was trying to get accross. Essentially, after cleaning up the perimeter, you make a rectangle half the size of the total area to be mowed, starting from one end. Just move the rectangle over by the width of your mowing deck on each subsequent pass.

/ Mowing Pattern / Discharge help #7  
<font color=blue>"Are you describing a square figure eight pattern?"</font color=blue>

Not really, but that would work too. Actually, it probably would be more interesting than my pattern, because at least you'd turning in different directions!

I'm at work and I don't have the ability to do a drawing for you, but I'll try to do one when I get home and post it a little later this evening.

/ Mowing Pattern / Discharge help #8  
O.K. I see you're idea now. After you mowed the first rectangle, then you'd go back over to do the other half rectangle, right? That would work too.

Actually, you could use all these patterns just to help relieve the boredom factor. Variety is the spice of life!/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Mowing Pattern / Discharge help #9  
The mowing pattern you are talking about is like what a zamboni does at a hockey game! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Right?!

Kevin

/ Mowing Pattern / Discharge help #10  
Kevin, you got it! That's exactly the pattern I'm talking about.

Now I've been trying to attach a drawing I made of the pattern, but I can't get it. I drew the pattern in Microsoft Word, so its' been saved as a <font color=red>.doc</font color=red>, not as a graphic file. I can't figure out how to get it attached/w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif. sorry about that guys! Since Kevin understands it, maybe he can attach something. I'll keep trying!