Mt Pilot, North Carolina

/ Mt Pilot, North Carolina #1  

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
Always take this road for work when I go up to Pilot Mountain (AKA Mt. Pilot), always liked the scenery, and sometimes take a very simple drive for granted from my home per the scenery.

On Weds night, coming home after an 11 hour drive from Pennsylvania, finally got to take a picture on the road where I always would of liked to take a picture.

Told my wife on the way home that I thought the lighting wouldn't be too bad and I finally had to get a picture. Took with my cell phone.

PM.png

/ Mt Pilot, North Carolina
For a frame of reference, looking at the view from the bombardier seat of a B-17 that my father was lucky enough to fly in years ago when he visited (and irony would have it, us coming back to get his house in Pa ready to sell while he's living with us now in NC at least 10 years later when this pic was taken...)

PM1.png

/ Mt Pilot, North Carolina #3  
Neat pictures. That's a nice area.

/ Mt Pilot, North Carolina #4  
Very picturesque. Got to see a bit of NC a few years back, when we made a trip to Myrtle Beach and parts North. I had always wondered about NC, partly because of Andy Griffith and partly for a strange reason. The strange reason being, an antique mirror I bought at an antique store probably 40 years ago. I took it home, and removed the frame in order to refinish it. On the back, it was marked "Mount Airy, North Carolina, 1924". Something about that name I never forgot. Some of the friendliest people in the world there.

/ Mt Pilot, North Carolina #5  
Stationed in NC in the early 70s. Loved riding dirt bikes in the woods (except for the ticks). Beautiful country and friendly folks.

/ Mt Pilot, North Carolina #7  
Pretty picture. I am amused by what is considered a mountain in the east. Around here that's just a small hill.
Had a fun discussion with the aerial photographer for Tuck aerial surveys (located in South Carolina) about what a proper mountain is, I maintained that a real mountain has snow and ice on it year round.:D
Although I have to admit that the Rockies in Colorado are real mountains and most of them just have snow in the winter. Pikes peak is around 15k elevation with no glaciers, but man oh man you get really short of breath on top of it.

/ Mt Pilot, North Carolina #8  
Pretty picture. I am amused by what is considered a mountain in the east. Around here that's just a small hill.
Had a fun discussion with the aerial photographer for Tuck aerial surveys (located in South Carolina) about what a proper mountain is, I maintained that a real mountain has snow and ice on it year round.:D
Most of the rockies wouldnt qualify to that definition of a mountain.

/ Mt Pilot, North Carolina #9  
Please see my edited post. You are right, it is a bit sad to see how many of the glaciers have disappeared from Glacier National park since the 1930's.
We may see most of the glaciers in the lower 48 disappear in our lifetime. They are receding at an ever increasing pace.

/ Mt Pilot, North Carolina
Around here that's just a small hill.

Ironic that's exactly what I thought of the Wichita Mountains when I asked what the hills were called in Oklahoma when I first saw them:laughing:

Western NC has some decent elevation like WV, NY and Vermont IMO. Coming back from Pa couple of days ago, got sidetracked off I-81 due to an accident, and I told my wife if it wouldn't take so long, would love to drive SW Virginia off I-81 or at least the Blue Ridge parkway. Took one side road for 30 minutes running parallel to I-81 and was amazed at the scenery that I never really noticed on I-81.