Mt Pilot, North Carolina

/ Mt Pilot, North Carolina #11  
Used to live halfway up Mt Pilot, one of many we have here, ours was even smaller than yours.
I don't know where the name comes from but I am guessing it would be a local reference point, travelling in the outback many years ago we were looking for a 'gorge' on the map, couldn't find it and finally asked a farmer we found, he told us we had bee through it, we were looking for a huge ravine, this was just a floodway in the sand that was about 100' wide and 1' deep.

/ Mt Pilot, North Carolina #12  
Ironic that's exactly what I thought of the Wichita Mountains when I asked what the hills were called in Oklahoma when I first saw them:laughing:

Western NC has some decent elevation like WV, NY and Vermont IMO. Coming back from Pa couple of days ago, got sidetracked off I-81 due to an accident, and I told my wife if it wouldn't take so long, would love to drive SW Virginia off I-81 or at least the Blue Ridge parkway. Took one side road for 30 minutes running parallel to I-81 and was amazed at the scenery that I never really noticed on I-81.

Check out US-340 which parallels I-81 in VA from Frederick MD through Greenville, VA. Beautiful scenery. You can also do Skyline Drive through Shenandoah National Park from Front Royal, VA to Rockfish Gap (Between I-66 and I-64), where it then joins the Blue Ridge Parkway which then continues south to US-441 in North Carolina.

/ Mt Pilot, North Carolina #13  
Check out US-340 which parallels I-81 in VA from Frederick MD through Greenville, VA. Beautiful scenery. You can also do Skyline Drive through Shenandoah National Park from Front Royal, VA to Rockfish Gap (Between I-66 and I-64), where it then joins the Blue Ridge Parkway which then continues south to US-441 in North Carolina.
Beautiful, but very slow.

Rt 11, next to I81 is a great road that is from the era of Rt66, yet rt 11 is virtually all there and original. 1645 miles from canada to new orleans. It has many old motels, gas stations from the past, is main st in many small towns.