MT240HE 50hr service - Hydraulic & HST filter change - how to?

Underdog57

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS R4041H
Hey guys. What's with the shop vac to prevent hydraulic fluid loss? I though the break-in service called for the hydraulic fluid being changed? Will be doing the 50 hour on my MT357 and it would be great if I didn't have to replace the hydraulic fluid.
Use the shop-vac trick when you change the filter, otherwise you'll lose a lot of fluid! (Been there, done that)

hammick

Silver Member
Tractor
LS MT357HC
Use the shop-vac trick when you change the filter, otherwise you'll lose a lot of fluid! (Been there, done that)
What kind of adapter is needed for that? Does fluid get sucked into the shop vac?

Ddh1961

Tractor
LS MT225E
Something like a piece of pvc pipe that will fit into the hyd oil filler neck. I used a piece of steel pipe about 3/4” around, put it in the end of the hose, and duct taped around it to prevent air leaks. Stuck it in the filler neck and sealed that with duct tape too. You might get a misting of hyd fluid in the shop vac hose, but when you’re done just hang the hose vertically for awhile and it’ll drip out. Sure beats losing a few gallons of hyd oil! 😉

OP
JCoastie

JCoastie

Silver Member
Tractor
LS MT240
had my wife just hold the shop vac hose onto the fill port, no adapter, no tape, nothing.
No fluid was sucked into the hose, though I could hear it sucking in air from the filter side once I removed the filter and bubbling into the reservoir. I thought it was filling the vacuum with hydraulic fluid, but it wasn't, nothing entered the shop vac. It's a good tip!

Bearsixty7

Gold Member
Tractor
LS MT240HE. JD LA145.
had my wife just hold the shop vac hose onto the fill port, no adapter, no tape, nothing.
No fluid was sucked into the hose, though I could hear it sucking in air from the filter side once I removed the filter and bubbling into the reservoir. I thought it was filling the vacuum with hydraulic fluid, but it wasn't, nothing entered the shop vac. It's a good tip!
My shop Vac hose end fit loosely around the oil filler neck so I thought that would be about right. Mine did similar as what you said, when the filter came off, I could see fluid in the housing and it wanted to drain but was held back. However my old Craftsman shopvac was still strong enough to pull out some fluid and it drained down the filler neck, I'd guess about a cup if memory serves.

Underdog57

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS R4041H
What kind of adapter is needed for that? Does fluid get sucked into the shop vac?
61a2DQYj1OL._AC_SX679_PIbundle-6,TopRight,0,0_SH20_.jpg

This is what I used, as long as you have an air gap between the vacuum and the oil it shouldn't suck up any oil, mine didn't! ;)61a2DQYj1OL._AC_SX679_PIbundle-6,TopRight,0,0_SH20_.jpg

PCABE5

Platinum Member
Tractor
LS MT3 57 Cab and loader
Curious what size shop vac you guys are using. Since these come in so many sizes you guys should make a thread just for the shop vac trick.