MT240HE 50hr service - Hydraulic & HST filter change - how to?

/ MT240HE 50hr service - Hydraulic & HST filter change - how to? #21  
Hey guys. What's with the shop vac to prevent hydraulic fluid loss? I though the break-in service called for the hydraulic fluid being changed? Will be doing the 50 hour on my MT357 and it would be great if I didn't have to replace the hydraulic fluid.
Use the shop-vac trick when you change the filter, otherwise you'll lose a lot of fluid! (Been there, done that)

/ MT240HE 50hr service - Hydraulic & HST filter change - how to? #22  
Use the shop-vac trick when you change the filter, otherwise you'll lose a lot of fluid! (Been there, done that)
What kind of adapter is needed for that? Does fluid get sucked into the shop vac?

/ MT240HE 50hr service - Hydraulic & HST filter change - how to? #23  
Something like a piece of pvc pipe that will fit into the hyd oil filler neck. I used a piece of steel pipe about 3/4” around, put it in the end of the hose, and duct taped around it to prevent air leaks. Stuck it in the filler neck and sealed that with duct tape too. You might get a misting of hyd fluid in the shop vac hose, but when you’re done just hang the hose vertically for awhile and it’ll drip out. Sure beats losing a few gallons of hyd oil! 😉

/ MT240HE 50hr service - Hydraulic & HST filter change - how to?
had my wife just hold the shop vac hose onto the fill port, no adapter, no tape, nothing.
No fluid was sucked into the hose, though I could hear it sucking in air from the filter side once I removed the filter and bubbling into the reservoir. I thought it was filling the vacuum with hydraulic fluid, but it wasn't, nothing entered the shop vac. It's a good tip!

/ MT240HE 50hr service - Hydraulic & HST filter change - how to? #25  
had my wife just hold the shop vac hose onto the fill port, no adapter, no tape, nothing.
No fluid was sucked into the hose, though I could hear it sucking in air from the filter side once I removed the filter and bubbling into the reservoir. I thought it was filling the vacuum with hydraulic fluid, but it wasn't, nothing entered the shop vac. It's a good tip!
My shop Vac hose end fit loosely around the oil filler neck so I thought that would be about right. Mine did similar as what you said, when the filter came off, I could see fluid in the housing and it wanted to drain but was held back. However my old Craftsman shopvac was still strong enough to pull out some fluid and it drained down the filler neck, I'd guess about a cup if memory serves.

/ MT240HE 50hr service - Hydraulic & HST filter change - how to? #26  
What kind of adapter is needed for that? Does fluid get sucked into the shop vac?
61a2DQYj1OL._AC_SX679_PIbundle-6,TopRight,0,0_SH20_.jpg

This is what I used, as long as you have an air gap between the vacuum and the oil it shouldn't suck up any oil, mine didn't! ;)61a2DQYj1OL._AC_SX679_PIbundle-6,TopRight,0,0_SH20_.jpg

/ MT240HE 50hr service - Hydraulic & HST filter change - how to? #27  
Curious what size shop vac you guys are using. Since these come in so many sizes you guys should make a thread just for the shop vac trick.