MT357HC 50 hour service

/ MT357HC 50 hour service #1  

hammick

Silver Member
Tractor
LS MT357HC
Getting ready to change my hydraulic filter and plan to use the shop vac trick. I see in my manual that I also need to change my HST filter. I assume the hydraulics and HST share the same fluid. Do I need to also use the shop vac trick when changing the HST filter?

Also can anyone confirm that the HST filter is the same part no. as the hydro filter?

Thanks!

/ MT357HC 50 hour service #2  
I would assume that both refer to the same filter.

Your manual should list the filter numbers.

/ MT357HC 50 hour service
Well I crawled under my tractor. The HST filter is quite a bit smaller. But my more pressing problem now is that I cannot get the hydraulic filter to budge. My biggest wrench isn't big enough to get any real leverage.

What do you guys recommend I purchase for removing large hydraulic filters?

/ MT357HC 50 hour service #5  
Normally, the first filter change is the bear. Being painted and installed without obvious gasket lube makes removal difficult. 15" channel-loc pliars got-er-done!

Normally, the first filter change is the bear. Being painted and installed without obvious gasket lube makes removal difficult. 15" channel-loc pliars got-er-done!
Thanks. Shopping up here requires a minimum 3 hour round trip to Billings. Usually closer to 6 hours hitting Wally World and Costco. Being in AK I'm guessing your shopping trips are even more of a hassle.

/ MT357HC 50 hour service #7  
The years have been kind for the amassing of tools. Being a diy and maintenance orientated person, I can solve almost any problem with the tools on hand.

/ MT357HC 50 hour service #8  
Check my thread on my 50 hour service. That filter will come loose if you step on the wrench from the outside. Get ready for the fluid gush, so have the new one ready to go immediately.

the HST filter only leaks a few cups of fluid and stops. No major issue there.

I needed the following filters for my MT347HC:
40409065 oil
40007638 large trans oil
LS 40383187 or Donaldson P164381 HST filter

The Donaldson is the factory filter. I paid double for LS to sell it to me, and the box had the big orange Donaldson in it. Make sure your dealer sells you the LS/Donaldson filter for the S-HST units. There are two filter part numbers and the other is not going to fit.

I once tried the Shop Vac (5.5 HP) on my kubota and the vac sucked out a lot of fluid. You might want to watch it as soon as the filter is loose, as it may do the same. I know others did not have this issue.

/ MT357HC 50 hour service #9  
Check my thread on my 50 hour service. That filter will come loose if you step on the wrench from the outside. Get ready for the fluid gush, so have the new one ready to go immediately.

the HST filter only leaks a few cups of fluid and stops. No major issue there.

I needed the following filters for my MT347HC:
40409065 oil
40007638 large trans oil
LS 40383187 or Donaldson P164381 HST filter

The Donaldson is the factory filter. I paid double for LS to sell it to me, and the box had the big orange Donaldson in it. Make sure your dealer sells you the LS/Donaldson filter for the S-HST units. There are two filter part numbers and the other is not going to fit.

I once tried the Shop Vac (5.5 HP) on my kubota and the vac sucked out a lot of fluid. You might want to watch it as soon as the filter is loose, as it may do the same. I know others did not have this issue.
Yes, my ls dealer sold me a non Donaldson filter. took some time for them to figure out “there are two different filters listed”. Get the Donaldson.

/ MT357HC 50 hour service #10  
The vacuum trick worked great for me but it takes 2 people, one to loosen the filter and one to operate the vacuum.
got all three filters from my LS dealer for $100. They are LS filters.
the new engine oil filter is a smaller diameter than the factory filter.
All the original filters were difficult to remove, I bought steel strap type filter wrenches from Fleet Farm and felt lucky to get the filters off without smashing them, that would have been a big mess.
The only oil lost was the oil in the filters.
Good luck with your project !