MTL grapple reviews anyone?

/ MTL grapple reviews anyone? #1  

Hiptfarms

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800 with BH FEL, Kubota L4400 HST with FEL, Polaris Ranger, BCS 720
I'm wondering if any of you guys who have owned a MTL grapple for a while can give me your impressions on the implement. Any problems, likes/dislikes, etc. I'm leaning heavily towards buying one from those guys in January. Their price is very tempting and their build quality looks good to me.

What do you guys think?

/ MTL grapple reviews anyone? #2  
I can't give you an impression yet. I bought an MTL Grapple, hope to pick it up after Christmas. I bought a 66 inch for my 3550 Mahindra. Now I have to figure out how to connect the third function kit, it came in a few days back. I looked at the valve block/blocks and its a maze of hoses, made my eyes roll back in my head trying to figure out which is Power Beyond and which hose is return. I better get a service manual. I probably should get someone smarter than me!!!

Not a lot of room to run the new hoses and mount the valve block with Solenoid valves.

/ MTL grapple reviews anyone? #3  
How big is your tractor? They make heavy and medium duty grapples. How are you going to use it?

/ MTL grapple reviews anyone? #4  
I love mine for the price.

Are their stronger units available? Yes. Will I ever abuse one or commercially use one to justify 3x the cost- never.

I reviewed all that I could find, and for the money, cannot be beat. Hidden/protected hoses, one piece tines and greasable jaws were the strong points that weren't on other budget grapples costing $300-$800 more.

Depends ALOT on usage. I only planned on moving brush and tree debris a handful of times a year.

BTW- I got the 60" double jaw unit delivered for $925.

/ MTL grapple reviews anyone? #5  
I do not have an MTL but looked at them when I bought my 3rd Grapple. Their website was more lacking then but has improved now. I am curious myself.

/ MTL grapple reviews anyone? #6  
For those that are curious, as stated earlier some vendors (Titan and MTL) both have ebay sites as well. I have purchased from both of their ebay fronts using general 10-15% off EVERYTHING coupons provided by ebay. These usually only come out once a month and say for today only. I was able to utilize these for both my grapple and pallet forks delivered to my door for free. Just dropped my bucket and picked them each up right off the back of the truck. I love SSQA. :dance1:

/ MTL grapple reviews anyone? #7  
For those that are curious, as stated earlier some vendors (Titan and MTL) both have ebay sites as well. I have purchased from both of their ebay fronts using general 10-15% off EVERYTHING coupons provided by ebay. These usually only come out once a month and say for today only. I was able to utilize these for both my grapple and pallet forks delivered to my door for free. Just dropped my bucket and picked them each up right off the back of the truck. I love SSQA. :dance1:

I don't think I've ever seen these discounts. If you don't mind would you post or PM me when you see one again?

/ MTL grapple reviews anyone?
I have a Kubota M6800 2wd. They claim its 68 hp, 64 at the pto. I have a Bush Hog brand FEL that is actually supposed to be capable of lifting over 4000 lbs, but the tractor only weighs around 5000 lbs! (I once nearly pulled the tractor over lifting a stack of lumber that was way too heavy - next time I shortened the load and put a set of disks on the rear for a ballast. Scared the heck out of me:eek: ) I know those numbers sound a little crazy but I swear that is what the specs say.

Anyway, I have an outdoor wood furnace so I burn a bunch of wood. I plan on using the grapple mostly for bringing in logs for firewood and for cleaning up brush around the farm. Although I am very tempted to buy the rock bucket version to help clear out the millions of golf ball size and larger rocks that I dig up every year in my garden plots. I see how that could get clogged up with debris while.using it for regular chores though.

The FEL I have is the obsolete BH bbrandM446 quick connect so I've spoken with Cliff about fabricating an adapter plate to make it accept SSQA. Also, I dont have the third function on my setup and just plan on using my rear remotes to operate the grapple. I'm too cheap to justify the 800 bucks to buy it. I suppose if I find it too cumbersome to operate with the rear remotes, I could always add the diverter valve with a solenoid and switch.

I don't think I've ever seen these discounts. If you don't mind would you post or PM me when you see one again?

I haven't seen those discounts either.

Anybody else ever buy the x series grapple from MTL? Looking at the root versus the rock grapple. They recommended the x series 66" over the rk for my particular tractor - 1/2" instead of 3/8". I'm debating whether I need the beefier version for just cleaning brush piles and moving logs for firewood. My bucket is a 72". Any reason to buy the same size grapple as the bucket? My reasoning for considering the rock bucket style is sifting out the thousands of fist size rocks from my garden plots. Otherwise, the root grapple with the solid back plate would be my choice.
Does anybody have any regrets about what they purchased?