MX5100 steering problem

/ MX5100 steering problem #1  

Peacock

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Just noticed on Sunday that while bush hogging along the road with the left side on the edge of the pavement the tractor wouldn't hold it's line. What I mean is that it requires steering pressure to keep from steering to the right, like with road crown. During the .5 mile I was driving like that I turned the wheel a total of 4 complete revolutions in order to keep the steering pressure high enough to keep the left side tires on the road.

After stopping at the end of the the cut I investigated to find that I have no hard stop to the left in the steering like the right has. It will hit the mechanical stop, but the steering wheel will keep turning with little change in resistance. Plus, if I turn the steering wheel to the left and hold it, the wheels will then straighten on their own.

The tractor steers normally to the right. Has ~420hrs on it now and the 400hr service was done on time with SUDT2 fluid.

I'm thinking that the hydraulic cylinder(like a steering rack) is bad.

/ MX5100 steering problem #2  
It appears like the the left steer pressure is leaking inside of the valve, check with dealer and see if they can cover it under warranty. if you have no leaks externally I wound suspect it to be the stear pressure valve rather than steering cylinder..

/ MX5100 steering problem
Well called the dealer and he had never heard of it on our size of tractor. Was going to call tech support in Georgia.

The valve is over $1000!!! I sure hope Kubota steps and helps at that price. The tractor isn't 4 yrs old yet.

/ MX5100 steering problem #4  
Can it be rebuilt?

/ MX5100 steering problem
I'd hope so!

/ MX5100 steering problem #6  
Peacock,
I just purchased a Kubota MX 5100 2016 and driving down the road I had the exact same problem you did you have to hold the steering and it just keeps slowly turning around. In my case counterclockwise. Did you find out what the issue was and could you share with me.
Thanks
Peter

/ MX5100 steering problem #7  
Peacock,
I just purchased a Kubota MX 5100 2016 and driving down the road I had the exact same problem you did you have to hold the steering and it just keeps slowly turning around. In my case counterclockwise. Did you find out what the issue was and could you share with me.
Thanks
Peter

Though I am not experiencing this issue, I would be curious to know as well since my model is the same minus the turbo. It is an old post though and Peacock has not been on this site since 2015, hopefully he will respond.

Please keep us posted on what you find with yours!!

/ MX5100 steering problem #8  
Hydrostatic steering will keep turning if you hold it against the stop the whole time once you reach full turn you need to back off otherwise it will open relief valve the whole time you are turning
Some do have valves for shock reliefs which have orings but most cases they are not rebuildable just resealable