MX5400 cab compared to L5460 cab

/ MX5400 cab compared to L5460 cab #1  

kthompson

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubotas B2710, M6800, L6060 cab, Volvo EC excavator, 2 ZTRs and various implements.
I have been looking at tractor in this size range for a few weeks and now doing final consideration on these two tractors. For some odd reason my local dealer does not carry either one in the 60 hp range. Was comparing the L6060 to JD 4066r and Yanmar YT359. Will admit the Yanmar is my first choice as tractor. However as I will tell anyone look at the dealership and if that one were fr to close what about other dealerships. I am concerned about how little tractor experience and how short of time they have been selling tractors and if something happened to them next one then is two hours away where within about an hour of me there is 1 yanmar, 3 Kubota if not 4 and at least 6 JD.

At the local Kubota dealership yesterday and they had the L5460 and Mx5400 sitting beside each other on their lot. There is no room to do any testing there, just way tight. It gets hot here in the summer and if sunny in the winter with cab you may need a little heat but not much. Cab blocking the wind and the sun normally works for me. Had really read up on the L series tractor and was pleased with what had found but the dealer is really pushing or strongly recommending the MX. About $5,000 with cab and front end loader difference. What I like about the MX..i do like less electronics, really like the front wheels, like the lift arms. Like the price.

What I either don't like or have questions on: must add arm rest, rear view mirrors and no way to open the right door from the outside. Little concerned there for odd chance something were to happen and needing any level or rescue from the right side door may have to be busted. But if you needed to move the tractor or lift arm to connect to implement no way from the ground without opening door from the inside, believe that would get tiring. Do not like the side glasses are fixed, one reason I don't like the JD cab, only way you get side ventilation is open the doors. How is the operation of the joy stick on the MX compared to the L, to me looks like good bit more travel in the joy stick. Also would have two rear remotes added and on the MX looks like it wold not be easy to work the controls for those compared to the L model. The salesman either got the specs backwards yesterday or I did but thought he said the MX was heavier and better lift capacity and if I am reading the brochures correctly the L is the heavier and more lift capacity both on fel and 3 pth.

I realize much of my likes and dislikes are personal but looking for experience of anyone with either of these two models especially the cab model.

PLEASE NO MORE YOUTUBE videos on them. Have watch think them all but some of those points have not been touched in I have seen. They can do good job hitting some points and to me miss many.

/ MX5400 cab compared to L5460 cab #2  
I had a chance to sit in the MX6000 at the Farm Show. I have a L3560 HSTC.

As you pointed out, some of the nice features are missing from the MX that I have gotten use to in the Grand series, but that is where the cost savings comes in. The front tires on the MX6000 looked a little bigger to me, but I didn't have a Grand parked next to it to actually compare. The rear looks the same. The cab room felt the same and one thing I liked about the cab is that they moved the PTO switch. I hit that stupid thing on occasion with my arm in my Grand.

I would miss the HST+ transmission. I use that all the time. It is something I didn't realize I would use and now, I would hate to give it up. I thought the loader was the same on both, but I would have to actually look at the specs, yet I did notice that the Grand was able to lift more on the 3pt. IF I had to pick right now, I would go with the Grand series, but that is because I got spoiled with all the nice features right out the door and in my mind there isn't enough of a cost savings to give those up.

Just my two cents.

/ MX5400 cab compared to L5460 cab #3  
In my opinion the only advantage to the MX over the Grand L is the larger front tires, and the cheaper price. I actually swapped out my front tires to the 12-16.5 size, but I had to go with BKT Skidpower (95" rolling circumference) to stay within the 0-5% lead ratio. They're basically like a size in between 10-16.5 and the larger 12-16.5. I mainly wanted the wider front tires so they don't sink into soft ground as bad, especially when using the FEL. The swap was definitely worth it. If Kubota would just put the larger front tires on the Grand L series from the factory, they would be near perfect. I also use the HST+ all the time. It's basically like having six ranges instead of three, with the ability to shift between H/L ranges in each of the three main ranges while moving. One example is when I'm pulling my trailer loaded with firewood up the hill on my road. There's a fairly steep section that I can't quite do in high/high range, so I just tap the shifter on the steering column down to high/low to make it up the hill, and then back up to high/high when it flattens out. No need to stop and shift the main range selector down into medium range, which would be quite slow on the road. I normally use my snow blower in medium/high range, but if I get into deep drifts, I tap the selector on the column down to medium/low, then back up once I'm through the thick stuff. When using the front end loader, I'm usually in medium/high range when moving about, and I'll tap the shifter down to medium/low prior to driving into the pile, then back up after I've scooped a bucket full. I rarely ever use low range on the main selector for anything, since this tractor has so much power it will easily lose traction in mid range prior to stalling. The 3-point hitch on the Grand L can lift more due to it's design. The Grand L has two large external hydraulic cylinders doing the lifting, instead of internal on the MX. I would imagine that people who have never used the HST+ transmission wouldn't miss it, but once you have it, I think it would be a hard option to give up.

/ MX5400 cab compared to L5460 cab #4  
I'm in to same debate of l6060 or mx6000 u can see that post here . I'm leaning to the l6060 because the 3 point lift is stronger and front end loader . and the extra hst+ stuff I feel may be worth it . Just little cons on both like door handles loader disconnect locations and maybe even third function locations and in cab controls are cons and pros on the two . $7000 different in price on the l6060 and mx6000. And I have looked them both over side by side at dealer .

/ MX5400 cab compared to L5460 cab
7879fordman, have fully read your thread before posting my question. Your reference to $7,000 is not what a dealer gave me yesterday here. Don't remember the exact number but think it was about $5,000.

greenrider and brmeyers thanks so much. I agree with what each of you have said.

One thing I think is missed, is difference between them is resell value. Unless the L6060 really turns out to be lemon would expect it to be much better for resell than the MX. I do find it interesting there is such a price difference when you really consider the difference. My understanding is same engine, same rear end, same loader, yes some other differences such as no handle on the right door so are they saying there is about $4,000 difference in the two transmissions?

/ MX5400 cab compared to L5460 cab #6  
By your first post, I think you've already decided. :D

All of the little things you listed as deficiencies with the MX will be huge things six months from now.

I pay very close attention to instant deficiencies that I notice within a couple minutes. Those are warning sirens. To accept them you will have to lower your standards...… :(

/ MX5400 cab compared to L5460 cab #7  
The price difference may be $5000-$7000 up front, but over the life of the tractor that's pretty small. I shopped around and saved that much by buying out of state.

/ MX5400 cab compared to L5460 cab #8  
When I bought this summer I somewhat looked at the MX and it seems like a great tractor. After owning the Grand L for a few months, the feature I find most useful is the ability to change from high to low within each range. I use this feature multiple times each time I use the tractor. I have yet to figure out many of the HST plus features but the high/low feature alone makes HST plus a winner.

/ MX5400 cab compared to L5460 cab
ovrszd, I was trying to justify buying the MX I guess but could not.

Went on Kubota's web site last night to "build" a MX and was really surprised there is no option for right door latch for the outside of the door. Can not believe Kubota has no one who understands how much not being able to open the right door from outside the cab can affect using the tractor. Even on Messicks review of the MX he comments something along the line of maybe a $10 savings with dropping that latch.

Thanks for each one's thoughts.

/ MX5400 cab compared to L5460 cab #10  
I think the door latch will end up being much more important than a $10 savings. :)

Again, I pay attention to those instant deficiencies. They'll be the ones you will struggle with for the duration of ownership. And their cost savings will become insignificant. :)