My 30x40x12' Pole Barn Thread

/ My 30x40x12' Pole Barn Thread #51  
Tyler, great thread. I've enjoyed the posts and pics. I think you did good going with the wainscoting. Adds a few pains but worth it in the end.

I can relate to the wife's adventure. When I first read how you were working on the roof it reminded me of a similar adventure of my own. Those roof gets pretty slick with dust, metal shards, etc.! I was once "re-skinning" a building for my FIL and lost traction on the roof. I remember sliding and no way to stop myself until finally came to a few screw heads right on the edge and caught my boot on them right before taking the 12' plunge over the edge!

Stay safe!

/ My 30x40x12' Pole Barn Thread #52  
Really a very nice job. It is great to see you getting the banker involved.

/ My 30x40x12' Pole Barn Thread #54  
Tyler, great thread. I've enjoyed the posts and pics. I think you did good going with the wainscoting. Adds a few pains but worth it in the end.

+1:thumbsup:

I can relate to the wife's adventure. When I first read how you were working on the roof it reminded me of a similar adventure of my own. Those roof gets pretty slick with dust, metal shards, etc.! I was once "re-skinning" a building for my FIL and lost traction on the roof. I remember sliding and no way to stop myself until finally came to a few screw heads right on the edge and caught my boot on them right before taking the 12' plunge over the edge!

Stay safe!

BTDT, but I didn't have the luck to catch on anything. Took the 13 foot plunge into a mud puddle. Now I teather any time I'm on the roof. I figure I got lucky once, not going to tempt fate and try it twice.

/ My 30x40x12' Pole Barn Thread
We got the trim put on last Monday and the contractor came out to install the garage door that same day. It took them all of only 2 hours. Great to see professionals at work. The door only cost me $592, so I was pleased. This company was based out of Houston, TX, but has a sales office/warehouse here in OKC. They had installed the OHD on my house when we built it, so I new they did a great job at a wonderful price. They beat everyone by $100+.

I'm going to try to get a few last screws up on the trim and then silicone some screw holes on the roof. I got a can of spray-foam to seal up some gaps, so I will try to conquer all that this afternoon.

As far as the floor goes, I'm looking at concreting the floor, a small apron out front, a sidewalk to the porch, and then some of the porch. Which I can't decide on the porch portion. I'm torn between concreting the entire 10x40' porch area and only doing the first 10x10' end section by the walk door and then putting down gravel on the other 10x30' portion. I just plan to store my implements and a trailer under the far end of the porch.

I got a quote for concrete work for the floor. The first guy was recommended by the local concrete company and quoted only $2800 for concrete and finish for a 1200sqft, 4" 3500 PSI slab w/o reinforcement. I kept checking b/c of course you never go with your first bid or your lowest. The next guy was a fireman who does it on the side. I got him to bid the floor, apron, sidewalk, and porch area (1800 sqft total), w/rebar, a concrete pump truck and he was $9600. Another contractor on the local better business bureau website bid that same job at $6500. I kept shopping and checked into the first contractor. He actually has been doing concrete here in town for 33 yrs, has lived in town since the main street was dirt (we now have 90,000 people), has done work for the schools/churches/municipal lake/university, provided a reference list of over 30+ names, and has many videos on youtube website. So after checking on the references, I've got him coming out this afternoon to give me a revised quote. I will supply the sand and spread it and buy the rebar; he'll compact the sand and then tie the rebar for no additional charge. Stay tuned for his latest quote.

Attachments

• 10-11-10 #4.jpg
    10-11-10 #4.jpg
    551.5 KB · Views: 1,233
  • 10-11-10 #1.jpg
    10-11-10 #1.jpg
    712.7 KB · Views: 474
  • 10-11-10 #3.jpg
    10-11-10 #3.jpg
    837.5 KB · Views: 794
   / My 30x40x12' Pole Barn Thread #56  
Looking good. I can't wait until my wife and I have enough liquid cash for our down payment on a construction loan. I've got the wife to agree to downsize the square footage on the house a little and upsize on a pole barn/shop. It will net me more "man" space and be taxed a little less with respect to property taxes which are absurd in our town. I can't wait until I'm getting to post some pictures of my shop. Hopefully in another year or so.

/ My 30x40x12' Pole Barn Thread #57  
Great thread! Love watching your progress.:thumbsup:
Your last post about the concrete guy shows the importance of:
1) Always getting multiple quotes.
2) Always checking references.

Just because someone says they're the best or cheapest doesn't mean they're the best. "Cheap" often ends up costing much more in future repairs. Checking out previous work, talking to previous customers, comparing prices and quality of materials/workmanship...it seems like a lot of work, but it always pays off in the long haul. Great job! Keep the pics coming!:thumbsup: I love TBN!

By the way, got an estimate of how much you are saving by doing so much work yourself?

I've chosen my concrete contractor and I went with the cheapest guy, who's final project quote was $3500 for barn, porch pad (10x10), and a 4' wide strip/apron along the front of the barn. I purchased all the sand (four 14 cu.yd trucks of fill sand for $115 each) and the steel (#3 3/8" rebar, wire ties, and chairs, totaling $300) for the job separately, therefore there was no "additional markup" and my costs remained fairly transparent.

I got the sand spread in the barn and thought perhaps he had recommended too much sand be purchased. After he showed up with the plate compactor (which I had to request) it compacted the sand so much that I had to add the remainder of the sand. He offered to spread it for me but I declined b/c it would have cost me and additional $150. I thought it was an excellent opportunity for more "night seat time", which went uncontested by my wife (I mean banker :laughing:). Unfortunately, I had to fit that task into my already loaded work schedule and had to hop on the tractor at 10:30pm on Wednesday night. I finished the last part of the sand at 1:20am, which left me dragging at work the next day. We were in a rush b/c I had Friday off and we were trying to get it prepared to pour on Friday morning. They returned on Thursday and compacted the sand again. After installing most of the rebar and forms, the weather has halted the Friday morning pour until Monday morning. They did come out on Friday morning though and finish the rebar. Unfortunately I have to work on Monday, so I believe my wife and my mother will keep an eye on the project and contractors that day.

Attachments

• 10-20-10 #1.jpg
    10-20-10 #1.jpg
    518.1 KB · Views: 512
  • 10-20-10 #3.jpg
    10-20-10 #3.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 714
  • 10-21-10 #3.jpg
    10-21-10 #3.jpg
    539.1 KB · Views: 498
  • 10-21-10 #4.jpg
    10-21-10 #4.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 688
   / My 30x40x12' Pole Barn Thread #59  
Looking good :thumbsup:

You'll love having that concrete floor in there - makes life so much easier ;)

(Good move on the wainscoating BTW - wish I had done it myself)

By the way, got an estimate of how much you are saving by doing so much work yourself?

77TA -- I figured that I'm saving several thousands of dollars, probably $3-5k. As far as building goes, I've priced larger buildings(30x50) for about the same price as mine w/o porch, windows, OHD, nice walk door, wainscot, heavier gauge roof, & insulation. That works out to 1500sq.ft without frills and thrills, and I've got 1600sq.ft with all the goodies and add-ons. It that aspect it's obvious that I'm coming out further ahead than I would have. I know that I'm saving several of thousands alone by using this concrete guy and buying his materials myself.

However, when asked if my time invested was worth it and if I'd do it again (while I was doing the roof framing) I told everyone "No!". I explained that I've loved the project and the experience but my time with family was worth more. I think that in the end, I would have rather spent the few days with my wife, son, & baby girl during the construction process and watched a crew of 6 build it in 3 days.:D