MY 955 GRAPPLE CONVERSION COMPLETE

/ MY 955 GRAPPLE CONVERSION COMPLETE #1  

bama7

Tractor
John Deere 855
I finally got my pin on to skid steer conversion finished on my JD 955. I got the mechanism from a guy in New York. I am happy with the way it all worked out. I still need to keep an eye out for hose positioning.

Attachments

• 20211018_131849_HDR.jpg
    20211018_131849_HDR.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 130
  • 20211016_150208.jpg
    20211016_150208.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 129
  • 20211018_145046_HDR.jpg
    20211018_145046_HDR.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 122
  • 20211014_130953_HDR (2).jpg
    20211014_130953_HDR (2).jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 116
  • 20211009_130521.jpg
    20211009_130521.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 113
  • 20211013_120628.jpg
    20211013_120628.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 123
   / MY 955 GRAPPLE CONVERSION COMPLETE #2  
Looks pretty good except for the hoses almost dragging the ground. How much lift capacity do you have left? The 70A didn't have a lot to start with.

/ MY 955 GRAPPLE CONVERSION COMPLETE
Looks pretty good except for the hoses almost dragging the ground. How much lift capacity do you have left? The 70A didn't have a lot to start with.
I had them made long because I did not want them to be too short. I plan to work on that problem today. I will probably go to NAPA and have some short ones made. As far as capacity goes I will find out when the tractor says no. I think it will do what I need though.

/ MY 955 GRAPPLE CONVERSION COMPLETE #4  
latch pin.jpg

This is the first QA that I have seen without a lever for the latch pin.

The spring does not look strong enough to keep the pin down.

There are many threads about attachments coming off on one side, hope it does not happen to you.

/ MY 955 GRAPPLE CONVERSION COMPLETE #5  
I had them made long because I did not want them to be too short. I plan to work on that problem today. I will probably go to NAPA and have some short ones made. As far as capacity goes I will find out when the tractor says no. I think it will do what I need though.
You might can just put a coil in the hoses and zip tie them. Won't look as neat but probably keep from tearing them off.

If you are lacking in lift you might be able to upgrade to some 2 inch bore generic cylinders. You would have to bush the ends and possibly need different hoses.

Be sure to add an appropriate amount of ballast on the 3 point.

/ MY 955 GRAPPLE CONVERSION COMPLETE #6  
I am intrigued about the QA setup myself.

As far as the hoses, make sure you fully dump and fully close the grapple to get a length. Your hoses may not be as long as you think when you do that.

What grapple did you end up getting? Whats the specs on it like how much it weighs?

I am intrigued about the QA setup myself.

As far as the hoses, make sure you fully dump and fully close the grapple to get a length. Your hoses may not be as long as you think when you do that.

What grapple did you end up getting? Whats the specs on it like how much it weighs?
I went to the NAPA store and they did not have the fittings I needed. That was a stroke of luck. It appears my hoses are about the correct length for opening and lifting. I got the 54 inch MTL Grapple. It weighs around 350 lbs. I moved a small pile of limbs and stuff and it worked great. I really need a way to keep those hoses out of the way. I just read some posts on using bungee cord or springs. I guess that is what I will do tomorrow.

View attachment 717604
This is the first QA that I have seen without a lever for the latch pin.

The spring does not look strong enough to keep the pin down.

There are many threads about attachments coming off on one side, hope it does not happen to you.
The springs actually keep the pins up. There are no springs to hold them down. I am thinking of cutting a notch to slide the "handle" in to hold it in place, similat to the top piece that holds it up.

/ MY 955 GRAPPLE CONVERSION COMPLETE #9  
Hey bama - I have loooong hydraulic hoses on my Land Pride grapple. They are held up and out of the way with bungee cords. I replace the bungee cords every two or three years. The cords work great. The two cords go from the hoses up to the bracket that was intended for the bucket level indicator rod. You can see them in these two pics. See how I've had the grill guard modified with expanded metal. You should consider this mod also. Grills, radiators & batteries ARE darn expensive.

IMG_0001.jpeg
IMG_0002.jpeg

Last edited: