My backhoe LW8 cylinder replace or rebuild tough in Canada

/ My backhoe LW8 cylinder replace or rebuild tough in Canada #1  

DonRina

Tractor
Jinma 354
Sooo, my new to me my 2005 LW8 backhoe has one cylinder which has a leaky seal. The cylinder rod had some spotty rust which upon cleaning up still had finger nail noticable abrasion. On the time sucking vortex it seems the cylinder rod could be brazed and cleaned up, with new seals then installed. OR, do I try to get a new cylinder. I know I can get a cylinder from the Jinma dealers but of course shipping of such a large part to Vancouver Island would be crazy expensive. Option three seems to be to get a new cylinder but I understand the metric fittings are a problem.

So any viable options for this repair are what Would be helpful. We do have a Princess Auto nearby which does have a selection of cylinders.

Amazingly, Canada really is metric in name only so o rings and seal…imperial. My local hydraulic shop looked at me like I was a nut when I asked for metric o rings. Scratch below the surface and most industrial work is still imperial as is construction.

Any observation/solutions would be great. I have to admit I’m a newbie when it comes to hydraulics!

Don B

/ My backhoe LW8 cylinder replace or rebuild tough in Canada #2  
Usually when the hard surface on the rod becomes damaged, even by corrosion, the rod part is just replaced, and your ends are welded to it. Any good hydraulic shop does this on a daily basis.

/ My backhoe LW8 cylinder replace or rebuild tough in Canada #3  
You could use an imperial cylinder with rod ends (eyes) that are as close to the metric ones you have, just make sure they are larger holes. Then make (or have made) custom bushings to reduce the size of the eyes down to fit the metric pins on the backhoe.

Converting the existing metric hoses to fit the imperial cylinder will be a little more difficult, but several places sell adapter fittings. Try discount hydraulics or clearwater hydraulics if you don't have a local shop that stocks such things.

Jinma used quite a variety of different fittings on their machines over the years. Several versions of metric including the German D.I.N. Sometimes you have to use two adapters to get from what you have to what you need.

Been there, done that....

/ My backhoe LW8 cylinder replace or rebuild tough in Canada #4  
And yes, there are metric O-rings and seals. Time to change hydraulic shops.

/ My backhoe LW8 cylinder replace or rebuild tough in Canada #5  
KEZE 1200 Pcs 24 Size Universal Rubber O-Ring Assortment Kit with 4-Piece Precision Pick and Hook Set for Auto Vehicle Faucet Plumbing Pressure Washer Air or Gas Sealing Repair OD:6mm-28mm Oring… Amazon.ca

From Amazon, pretty cheap.

/ My backhoe LW8 cylinder replace or rebuild tough in Canada #6  
Sooo, my new to me my 2005 LW8 backhoe has one cylinder which has a leaky seal. The cylinder rod had some spotty rust which upon cleaning up still had finger nail noticable abrasion. On the time sucking vortex it seems the cylinder rod could be brazed and cleaned up, with new seals then installed. OR, do I try to get a new cylinder. I know I can get a cylinder from the Jinma dealers but of course shipping of such a large part to Vancouver Island would be crazy expensive. Option three seems to be to get a new cylinder but I understand the metric fittings are a problem.

So any viable options for this repair are what Would be helpful. We do have a Princess Auto nearby which does have a selection of cylinders.

Amazingly, Canada really is metric in name only so o rings and seal…imperial. My local hydraulic shop looked at me like I was a nut when I asked for metric o rings. Scratch below the surface and most industrial work is still imperial as is construction.

Any observation/solutions would be great. I have to admit I’m a newbie when it comes to hydraulics!

Don B
Hydraulic rod stock is a common item. Hydraulic repair shops buy the stuff in standard lengths. To make a new rod they just saw off a length of the rod stock, thread one end to accept the piston, then thread or machine the other end to accept an eye or whatever is supposed to be on the outboard end. Even though I have never worked in a hydraulics repair shop I did work for years in a regular job shop. And during those years I made several new rods out of rod stock. Some of the rods had eyes welded on. When this was the case I would saw the eye off of the old rod and weld it to the new rod. If the eye was worn I would bore and bush the eye. I also straightened several rods. My experience is not unique. Nor were my techniques. I would be really surprised if you couldn't find a shop on Vancouver Island to do this common job. I have driven around Vancouver Island and saw plenty of industrial stuff.
Eric

/ My backhoe LW8 cylinder replace or rebuild tough in Canada
Thanks for all the suggestions, appreciate them all. I’m thinking that the most cost effective repair would be:
Have the cylinder rod which isn’t smooth brazed and then smoothed out (cost?),
Find, some how..some where, new seal kits and install and
Get or make a cylinder end wrench.

Might also have to hone the cylinder.

There are some shops on VI but costs here are off the charts. I had a driveshaft shortened here, cost $400. New one from the US $300 including shipping. Estimate for new one locally $800.