My Brothers Estate

/ My Brothers Estate #81  
Sorry to here about your brother. I lost my brother several years ago, he was an alcoholic, diabetic and a heavy smoker, he died in his early 40’s. I “inherited “ the only thing he had of value, a set of golf clubs. Keep in mind all the choices he made were his, not yours. Don’t let his choices and problems bog you down in the future.

I didn’t read all the responses but your parents are not responsible for his debts unless they co-signed. My brother also let behind some debt, they just didn’t get paid and they had no recourse since he had no assets. I hope someone said in previous post to get a lawyer involved. They will know what to do and how to handle it. I personally would go through his stuff, take anything of value or keep sakes and walk away from the rest. I wouldn’t feel obligated to clean anything up or do much more. I would for the sake of the animals find a home for them.

Good luck Eddie in these hard times for you and your parents.

Last edited:
   / My Brothers Estate #82  
Eddie, I have no advice on the situation you find yourself in... I do, however, extend my empathy... best of luck in dealing with the emotional aspect, as well as the rest of it.

May Peace be with you all...
I'll second this. :(

/ My Brothers Estate #83  
Two schools of thought and neither is better than the other...

No shame in walking away especially when a will is not present and everything is an uphill battle.

The other is your work to settle affairs can be a therapeutic way to honor your brother and the Walker family...

Individuals handle grief in different ways... it's just how we are...

Once a person has passed everything done is really about those that are left behind..

/ My Brothers Estate #85  
Sorry, Eddie. No matter how ready you think you are, it always hurts. Take care of yourself and your family through this, as you will all need the support.

/ My Brothers Estate #86  
I'm sorry to hear this Eddie. Based on your contributions here, I think that you will do the right thing. I think that there is a bunch of good advice posted here.

As always, all the best,

Peter

/ My Brothers Estate #88  
My brother is still alive and in ICU, but his lungs and heart are on a machine that is keeping him alive. His heart stopped for 15 minutes on Sunday and his doctors have been doing tests to see if there is any brain activity. This is day three, and they want one more day to make sure. I don't know what happens next, but he is listed as Do Not Resuscitate, and we all feel it would be better to pull the plug then keep him alive as a vegetable. He is 55 years old, and his drinking is what has led to this.

He has a 40 acre farm near Mabank TX. He has polled Herford's and he raises mallards for hunting clubs. I've spent the last two days going through his house and shop, looking for valuables, bills, papers and documents. He does not have kids or a wife. My parents will inherit everything.

We've never done this before, so I'm hoping for some advice or direction. Nothing legal, just things that we should look into or think about.

He was always in debt with multiple credit cards. What happens to that debt when he passes? Can they put a lien on his land? How do they collect what is owed on the credit cards?

The house on his land is inhabitable. He lived like a vagrant to some degree. One room had walls, a ceiling and a floor. The house needs to be torn down before we sell the land. We are unsure what he owes on the land. I haven't found anything that looks like a mortgage book. His laptop is password protected. Is there a way to get around a password on a laptop?

He has a Cannon 80 gun safe with an electric keypad. If I cannot find a password for it someplace, I can get it open with a grinder, but I'm also willing to try something else if anybody has a suggestion?

From what I've found so far, he leased his truck for 2 years, then financed it. I don't know what he owes or if he's been making payments. Any thoughts on what to do? I don't need or want another truck, neither do my parents. I'm thinking about letting them reposes it, but I need to know what he owes and if there is any value in selling it.

He has 5 trailers. I've found a note for one of them for about $2,000 What happens if it's not paid? do they reposes trailers?

Most of his stuff will end up here and become part of my farm. Tools and equipment type of stuff. His animals will have to be sold, and I've never sold cattle or ducks. Neighbors have stopped by while I was there and I think I can find a home for the cattle. Nobody wants his ducks. There are more then 200 of them that I'm feeding every day. Once it's official, I'm going to contact the people that where buying his ducks and see if I can make a deal to get rid of all of them at one time. If that doesn't work, I'm open to suggestions or ideas?

If we decide to hold onto the land as an investment, what's involved in leasing it to a neighbor to run cattle on?

Is there anybody on here from the Mabank area that knows a good realtor that I can contact? I know a lot of realtors in my area, but they are an hour away from my brothers farm and I don't trust them to know that market.

Another option would be to split it up and sell separate lots, or build spec homes on 5 or ten acres, sell that, then do it again and again until it's all sold. I'm not excited about this because it's so far away, and I already have enough work to keep me busy. If we held onto the land for awhile, I might have more time to do this and the market might be better by then.

If you can think of something that I should consider, please feel free to make those suggestions. We're flying blind right now.

Thank you,
Eddie
Please accept my condolences;

As for CC debit in TX the CC company will have a claim against the estate; https://money.usnews.com/credit-cards/articles/what-happens-to-credit-card-debt-when-you-die Any other unsecured debt has a claim against the estate. Secured debt like a mortgage or auto have a claim against the asset. Often new car dealers sneak term life into the payments. That being said, contact the creditors and supply them with a death certificate. The funeral home issues the death certificate and can be very helpful in navigating the proses.

Where I live there is a stockyard that has cattle auctions on the weekends. I would look for a stockyard and inquire about selling the livestock.

When I had to liquidate an inherited house that was 200+ miles away I looked at the list of realtors that had the highest dollars in sells with the least amount of houses listed. There may be a better way but I assumed finding a realtor that could sell houses but did not have a lot if inventory would be a good starting place. A good realtor can advise you on selling the tract or splitting it (from my selfish perspective I hate to see farmland split up.)

Last suggestions: Try to find a copy of last years tax return. The return will have a 1099 for any account that earned interest or a dividend. Too many times people pass away with accounts that end up going to the state because they become dormant.

Wait long enough to get past the emotional pain before making decision about real-estate.

/ My Brothers Estate #89  
Get the numbers off of it. If it was registered to him, the manufacturer will tell you how to get it open. They will require a copy of the death certificate.
There is an entire category of YouTubers dedicated to opening locks. Ask the lockpickinglawyer for example how to crack the safe if you cannot find a specific how-to video.