My Brothers Estate

/ My Brothers Estate #121  
We're waiting on the Death Certificates. I have a few names of lawyers, but haven't spoken to any until I get the Certificates. We ordered 20 of them. The Funeral Home said that they could provide more if we need them at the same cost.
When my mom passed away in December I got 3 copies which are $10 a piece for my county, Still have all 3 original copies. Everybody has either excepted copies of the original or they copies the original and then handed it back to me. Even the life insurance company accepted a mailed copy of the original.

/ My Brothers Estate #122  
There could be an animal rescue group somewhere that could have some suggestions about finding homes for the ducks. Our local vet seems to know who they are in our area. Maybe your vet could put you in contact with someone to help?

/ My Brothers Estate #124  
Sorry for you loss. Been there in your situation.

I'd find a decent estate lawyer local, see who you like, and go with them.

End of the day, it sounds by what you've said with your brother, you want to ensure all your bases are covered per the state of Texas.

My father was the executor of his families home after his brother passed and his sister went into a nursing home, and there were unpaid taxes and no written will. Major PITA for my father, and one particular sister of his disowned him because she didn't get the house.

I would just want to ensure that if your parents inherit the land, it's all "legal" so nothing bites you 10 years down the road.
On that note, if you hand't done so already, I would suggest to you and everyone here to set up an estate and lay everything out per worldly goods "per people you trust".

My father recently passes away, and even though I was an only child, before my mom passed away in 2002, they set up an estate before my mom passed.

My father wasn't a rich man money wise, but he saved what he had. After my mom passed, I was listed on everything like my mother was via the "estate" and everything was "joint ownership" (after my mom died, my father had it revised).

For tax reasons, we will still get a estate lawyer to go over taxes for next year, but at the end of the day, after my father passed, because my parents took the time to set up a estate and my father updated it after my mom passed, everything was painless on my end without having to deal with probate because my name was already listed with my father.

Our one boy just turned 18, but after my wife and I saw how my parents did it with me, we will set up the same estate to have our one son included.

I get the fact that everyone hates lawyers and realtors, but in both professions, I have found people of immense help that used their expertise to make my life much easier and were easily worth what they were paid for their professional help. Like any profession, you have good people and bad people you come across. It's the bad people that give the profession a bad name IMO.

I just see how my aunt and uncle did it (brother and sister, never married) with my dad's "family home", and since there was no will and no taxes being paid, legally, splitting the home up amongst the family was nothing but a PITA for my father because no one took the time to lay everything out "legal" wise.

/ My Brothers Estate #125  
I just heard something on the radio about someone being left a third of someone's house, a third of their truck, and a third of their dog. Reminded me of how things can go if it's not spelled out well in a legal document.

As far as lawyers, every body hates them until they need them, then they're indispensable.

Also, there are a lot of different types of lawyers specializing in a lot of different types of law. So try not to lump them all in with the ambulance chasers.

/ My Brothers Estate #127  
Some time has passed. I hope things are clearing up somewhat for you getting things in order.

I will never understand how they can split a title on a property. When my mother passed away, she had 1/2 title on property in TX. I was lucky, I sold the 1/2 to the other owner.

I can understand how property is transferred upon death. TOD in MO is call Transfer upon death to xxxxx. But splitting a property into two titles seems strange.

/ My Brothers Estate #128  
Wow Eddie, Just saw this. Death is not only sad, but can be a real mess, especially when you leave stuff behind. Wishing you the best.

/ My Brothers Estate #129  
"Our one boy just turned 18, but after my wife and I saw how my parents did it with me, we will set up the same estate to have our one son included."

You have to be careful how you do this. A guy I worked with put his son on the deed, a few years later son was getting a divorce and the daughter in law wanted her share. I never did ask him about the outcome. You are better off doing a "Transfer upon death".

/ My Brothers Estate #130  
I just heard something on the radio about someone being left a third of someone's house, a third of their truck, and a third of their dog. Reminded me of how things can go if it's not spelled
I just heard something on the radio about someone being left a third of someone's house, a third of their truck, and a third of their dog. Reminded me of how things

As far as lawyers, every body hates them until they need them, then they're indispensable.

Moss there's an old saying,
"If it weren't for lawyers, we wouldn't need lawyers".... but I understand what you're saying.