My BX2200 runs hotter when mowing than roto-tilling

/ My BX2200 runs hotter when mowing than roto-tilling #1  

davesl708

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200D,
I have had my BX for three years now and just started mowing my one acre with the MMM. I notice when doing FEL work or roto-tilling the yard the temp only moves up about a quarter of the temp gauge. When I mow the temp goes up to about 1/3 of the gauge.

Does this seem normal? I work the BX pretty hard with the FEL and tiller. Seem the temp should not change. It has not gotten hot here yet. Not even 80 deg. I worry about what the temp will do when the temp gets up in the upper nineties or hundreds this summer.

/ My BX2200 runs hotter when mowing than roto-tilling #2  
Generally tilling or loader work isn't a continuous load. With tilling you take a swipe and reposition to take another. With mowing you are generally under a steady load as most folk cut in a spiral pattern to make a continuous cut.

Another thought, have you greased your mower spindles? Feel the spindle housings just below the belt, if the housings are hot there may not be enough grease, a shaft could be bent, or a blade out of balance. The spindle housings should get warm but not hot.

/ My BX2200 runs hotter when mowing than roto-tilling
Thanks. Yes the spindles get plenty of grease. Blades are sharp and well balanced. I will wait and see what the temp does this summer.

/ My BX2200 runs hotter when mowing than roto-tilling #4  
If you're talking about the temp. gauge on the dash, it's only measuring engine coolant.

I mow at 3000 RPM for over an hour. The temp gauge does climb, but the engine is running high speed for a while. Not much else I do requires as much speed and time, so it makes sense. I have never seen it climb to dangerous levels, but it gets above half.

/ My BX2200 runs hotter when mowing than roto-tilling #5  
Thinking about that and could the mower set up an air current that does not allow cool air to get to the rad? Just a thought.

/ My BX2200 runs hotter when mowing than roto-tilling #6  
Some of the newer BX's show pretty hot on the gauge when mowing. Nothing I do with my BX makes the temp climb as much as mowing does. I'd say its normal, just make sure the radiator is clean.

/ My BX2200 runs hotter when mowing than roto-tilling #7  
The mower deck probably requires more HP than you think. Plus, with mowing you are actually driving the HST continuously. With tilling, you move a little then wait, the move a little, then wait. Do you use low range when tilling?

My biggest problem when mowing is plugging the radiator and screens. After two or three hours of mowing, I have to blow air rearward to clean out the radiator. Sometimes I remove the battery and use a shop-vac. Regardless, when not plugged, my BX runs no hotter than its "warmed up" indicator.

/ My BX2200 runs hotter when mowing than roto-tilling #8  
My BX24 was getting very close to the red mowing (with a hog) the other day. It usually runs hot but this was extreme.

I popped the hood to make sure that the rad fan was spinning. It was. Later on when the machine was off, I happened to try to spin the fan by hand. It moved easily and there probably wasn't enough adjustment available to snug it up properly. I got a replacement.

Long way of saying that the belt had worn "skinny" and was slipping on the fan sheave and the fan wasn't pushing (pulling...) air like it should.

Z.

/ My BX2200 runs hotter when mowing than roto-tilling #9  
As others have stated, mowing requires continuous high rpm, whereas most other tasks only require intermittent high rpm. Plus mowing often happens when it is hot outside. I have a mmm plus a rear pto driven bagger and I mow at full throttle. The temp gauge needle goes about half way, but never in the red. Be sure to check coolant and oil levels, both of which can influence temperature. FWIW, I also use my pto driven snowblower at full throttle but the engine runs cooler, I believe because it's really cold outside.

/ My BX2200 runs hotter when mowing than roto-tilling #10  
To reach 540 rpm pto speed my TC30 needs to run about 2400 rpm. I was tilling the garden at that speed and it just didn't sound right. I dropped the rpms to 2100-2200 rpms and the engine sounded better and had plenty of power for the tiller. I bush hog between 1800 and 2000.
I sometimes think that our vehicles are not really designed to run a 540 rpm pto speed - leading to over heating etc..
I don't have much experience with other tractors- but I think we need to find the comfort level for our tractors and forget the book sometimes.