my deck/patio project

/ my deck/patio project #21  
Looking at your pictures again, you may have to put a noise barrier around the AC unit. My house has a small alcove for a back patio which I never liked. I poured a slab extending out and along the back side of the house. This was great but the AC, placed similar to yours, was really annoying each time it turned on. I finally got tired of the noise and moved it around the corner of the house. The original AC was really noisy, the newer replacement is a lot quieter, like yours, but still would be a distraction.

BTW, my project looks similar to yours. I have four 14' pipes sticking up out of the ground.

/ my deck/patio project
Looking at your pictures again, you may have to put a noise barrier around the AC unit. My house has a small alcove for a back patio which I never liked. I poured a slab extending out and along the back side of the house. This was great but the AC, placed similar to yours, was really annoying each time it turned on. I finally got tired of the noise and moved it around the corner of the house. The original AC was really noisy, the newer replacement is a lot quieter, like yours, but still would be a distraction.

BTW, my project looks similar to yours. I have four 14' pipes sticking up out of the ground.

I agree,I think I may need to do something about that.I checked to see what it would cost to move it ($300.00) so I dont know if that is an option.

Good luck with your project!!!

/ my deck/patio project
I had a good day (got started at 10:00 am).completed everything I wanted for the day and best of all,I spent some more quality time with Dad.

They have changed the forcast for tomorrow,so I hope to get some of the
skirting up.

Attachments

• 100_0285.JPG
    100_0285.JPG
    439.3 KB · Views: 395
  • 100_0312.JPG
    100_0312.JPG
    365.9 KB · Views: 467
  • 100_0315.JPG
    100_0315.JPG
    388.9 KB · Views: 312
   / my deck/patio project
Front skirting is on and will be finishing up the side skirting during the week.

Attachments

• 100_0319.JPG
    100_0319.JPG
    400.9 KB · Views: 659
   / my deck/patio project #25  
Front skirting is on and will be finishing up the side skirting during the week.

This might not apply to you since I've never lived there, but here in the south, you absolutely HAVE to have air flow under a deck to stop mold from growing. Once moisture gets under the deck, the air flow is the only way to dry things out and keep them dry. That skirting looks like it will stop the flow of air and create the perfect environment for mold.

Eddie

/ my deck/patio project #26  
This might not apply to you since I've never lived there, but here in the south, you absolutely HAVE to have air flow under a deck to stop mold from growing. Once moisture gets under the deck, the air flow is the only way to dry things out and keep them dry. That skirting looks like it will stop the flow of air and create the perfect environment for mold.

Eddie

I agree with you on the circulation issue...

As far as the ledger board...I put one on my house, but mounted it to the block foundation with posts and a box beam 4 feet out..Overkill as I've been told, but I didn't want to remove the siding and have the rot risk...Put a really wide 2 step platform coming out of the sliding glass door..Has worked really well, especially during snow storms...Everything stays below siding level.

Also, we have french drains in this part of the country and the ground close to the house is pretty much all gravel, so not good for post installation..

/ my deck/patio project

Eddie

Good point,these boards are pretty wet,I assume they should shrink and create gaps for venting.I will give them a year to see how much shrinkage I get and if they dont gap,I plan on installing two vents on the sides.

/ my deck/patio project #28  
Good choice on 6x6's instead of 4x4's. They are not only stronger, but look a heck of a lot better!

/ my deck/patio project #29  
Moving along
I got off to a late start tonight (my helper was late getting to my house).
but I did get quite a bit done.the support beam is in and some of the floor joist.
Tomorrow I will be laying down the plastic and gravel and setting the rest of the floor joist.
They are calling for rain Sunday ,so I will get the day off :)

that is all for today.

Nice looking start.

I was looking back through the thread and didn't see, what is the span of the deck? What size are your joists-they look like 2 x12s, but it is difficult to tell from the pictures.

Not trying to snipe, just curious.

/ my deck/patio project
Nice looking start.

I was looking back through the thread and didn't see, what is the span of the deck? What size are your joists-they look like 2 x12s, but it is difficult to tell from the pictures.

Not trying to snipe, just curious.

The deck is 20'x10' and the joists are 2x10's.

I had several friends and family members ask, if I plan on parking my car on there......lol.

I have always beleived in "over kill"