My dog's not doing well

/ My dog's not doing well #71  
I travel a lot and when I was home last weekend, I noticed my dog would have a slight cough, or more like he was clearing his throat, every so often. Anyway, I asked my wife to keep an eye on him, because it seemed odd. Thursday, she said he didn't seem like he was hungry. Which is really odd, because his dinner is usually the whole reason for his existence. Last night, he barely touched his food and the wife said he just slept all day behind her recliner and seemed lethargic, something is definitely wrong.

He drank water and pooped when she let him out this morning and the poop looked normal, but he was all mopey and clingy. So, she took him to the vet today. They took an xray and confirmed no intestinal blockage, but his blood work showed him to be dangerously anemic. All the other bloodwork parameters were normal. The minimum normal value for the anemia is 143K and he was 60K. So they gave him a subcutaneous IV of 1500cc's and sent her home with some steroids to give him. They'll follow up in 24 hours. If he isn't improving, he'll need to go to the pet ER.

He's a 6 YO black mouth cur, that's never had any issues, other than a food allergy that will make him itch and lick his paws. I give him a salmon based protein food and he has no issues.

We're trying to figure out if he got into something that's poisoned him or some other cause. I hate that the poor guy is ill, and I can't be there to try to help in some way.

Anyone have a similar issue that could throw out some ideas to look for? I have the wife checking the patio, carport, barn and any other place around the house for something/signs of him getting into something.
I hope he gets well soon! Have you tried feeding him chicken? A dog will usually eat chicken when he wont eat anything else. Always worked for me when a dog got sick and wouldn't eat.

I'm sure you know that the chicken must be cooked, not raw. Just mentioning in case someone else might not know.

/ My dog's not doing well #72  
I travel a lot and when I was home last weekend, I noticed my dog would have a slight cough, or more like he was clearing his throat, every so often. Anyway, I asked my wife to keep an eye on him, because it seemed odd. Thursday, she said he didn't seem like he was hungry. Which is really odd, because his dinner is usually the whole reason for his existence. Last night, he barely touched his food and the wife said he just slept all day behind her recliner and seemed lethargic, something is definitely wrong.

He drank water and pooped when she let him out this morning and the poop looked normal, but he was all mopey and clingy. So, she took him to the vet today. They took an xray and confirmed no intestinal blockage, but his blood work showed him to be dangerously anemic. All the other bloodwork parameters were normal. The minimum normal value for the anemia is 143K and he was 60K. So they gave him a subcutaneous IV of 1500cc's and sent her home with some steroids to give him. They'll follow up in 24 hours. If he isn't improving, he'll need to go to the pet ER.

He's a 6 YO black mouth cur, that's never had any issues, other than a food allergy that will make him itch and lick his paws. I give him a salmon based protein food and he has no issues.

We're trying to figure out if he got into something that's poisoned him or some other cause. I hate that the poor guy is ill, and I can't be there to try to help in some way.

Anyone have a similar issue that could throw out some ideas to look for? I have the wife checking the patio, carport, barn and any other place around the house for something/signs of him getting into something.
Any chance he got into a quantity of onions, garlic, or allium flowers like daffodil bulbs? Allium kills red blood cells in dogs, but it takes a meal to do the damage.

/ My dog's not doing well
I got to see him briefly when I got back from my trip. He's was looking pretty poor. All skin and bones, you can see the entire length of his backbone and his flanks, chest and shoulders have all shrunk. His face is also getting drawn. He tries to be cheerful and he wags his tail, but he sleeps a lot and doesn't want to eat. The wife was putting bacon grease on his food and that worked a few days, then he lost interest.

I'm on the road again, this time Canada. She took him to the vet this morning, he's down to 61lbs, losing another 2.5 lbs in a week. He started out at 80lbs, when he was healthy. The good news is his platelets were better than a week ago, now at 135. The plan is to continue with the current treatment of antibiotics and steroids. He still has labored breathing. We're going to feed him chicken cooked with bouillon and add instant/boiled potatoes. Basically, keep challenging him with anything we think he'll eat.

My wife said he was in better spirits today. She said when it was time to leave for the vet, he tried to go jump in my truck and he was all wiggly-waggly.

When I get home. I might try another vet for a second opinion.

/ My dog's not doing well #74  
I hope he gets better. Try the chicken asap. I recommend thigh meat. Bouillon may help I wouldn't worry about the potatoes but they probably won't hurt. I hope he gets well soon!
We're going to feed him chicken cooked with bouillon and add instant/boiled potatoes.

/ My dog's not doing well #75  
I got to see him briefly when I got back from my trip. He's was looking pretty poor. All skin and bones, you can see the entire length of his backbone and his flanks, chest and shoulders have all shrunk. His face is also getting drawn. He tries to be cheerful and he wags his tail, but he sleeps a lot and doesn't want to eat. The wife was putting bacon grease on his food and that worked a few days, then he lost interest.

I'm on the road again, this time Canada. She took him to the vet this morning, he's down to 61lbs, losing another 2.5 lbs in a week. He started out at 80lbs, when he was healthy. The good news is his platelets were better than a week ago, now at 135. The plan is to continue with the current treatment of antibiotics and steroids. He still has labored breathing. We're going to feed him chicken cooked with bouillon and add instant/boiled potatoes. Basically, keep challenging him with anything we think he'll eat.

My wife said he was in better spirits today. She said when it was time to leave for the vet, he tried to go jump in my truck and he was all wiggly-waggly.

When I get home. I might try another vet for a second opinion.
Too much salt in the bouillon. You can get chicken broth at the market, or boil up a chicken and make your own. White rice cooked in chicken broth is another possibility.

/ My dog's not doing well #76  
Does the vet know what is causing the issues with his bloodwork? If not, has he mentioned any additional tests to help diagnose the underlying issue?

IME, x-rays or an ultrasound have helped to see what's going on inside. (Of course, I don't know if it would help in this case.) It can get expensive, but I prefer to know whether there is hope for recovery. It can help in making the tough decision.

I feel for you. It never gets any easier. Good luck.

/ My dog's not doing well #77  
I like your idea about a second opinion. It won't hurt, and might give you some things to think about. With all due respect though the poor guy is suffering. Can your wife take him while you are in Canada?

/ My dog's not doing well
I like your idea about a second opinion. It won't hurt, and might give you some things to think about. With all due respect though the poor guy is suffering. Can your wife take him while you are in Canada?
I fly back Friday, so I don't think she needs to schedule anything tomorrow/Friday. I'll probably have her see if she can get an appt with another vet on Monday, if possible. That way we're both in attendance and can ask all the questions we have.

No, the current vet hasn't offered any other courses of treatment or tests, and we still don't have any answers about what's causing his issues. Like a lot of folks on here. I'm willing to make a reasonable effort, but I won't go heroic on expenses. No different than what I'd expect for myself, regarding the financial or emotional burden I'd put on my loved ones if I ever fall ill. But it would be nice to know that we've looked at all reasonable causes/options.

/ My dog's not doing well #79  
When one of our GSD passed (early 2000s) some of her symptoms were similar. Vet said it was kidneys. She just stopped eating much of anything. We got her to eat peanut butter by putting it on her nose. In our case she went very fast.

I feel your pain and completely understand the conflict between help and compassion.

/ My dog's not doing well #80  
A few years ago, we lost one of our dogs. She had puppies, and then went into depression. Every vet we talked to said that dogs don't get Postpartum Depression, but in the end, that's what got her.

During the process of trying to help her, we started out with our regular Vet, and all three Vet's there looked at her. They tried different meds, took lots of blood, and pretty much wasted our time. We went to another Vet, and they did the same thing. Another Vet and the same thing. Finally, my wife talked to a Vet that she knows from out of our area that knew of a Vet in our area she was impressed with. She said that she was jealous of his brain. That he was on another level then any other Vet that she had ever met.

We went to him and realized that we had been wasting our time with the other Vets. They where all competent, knowledgeable, but not the top of the class like Dr Ramsey is. My wife has been a RN for 30 years, and she has a PhD in Nursing. She knows a little bit about medicine, and even more, when somebody is BSing her. Dr Ramsey has all human grade equipment. His Xrays where crystal clear. I could even see what he was talking about when looking at them!!! None of the other Vets had spent the money for that level of equipment.

Unfortunately, she was too far gone when he finally saw her and she passed away a few days after that. We might of been able to save her if we had gone to him first, but we really don't know.

What we did learn from this experience was that it's very hard to find the very best Vet. They do not admit that they don't know what's happening, and they never tell you that there is a guy in the area that is a lot smarter and better equipped then they are.

I know it's a drive, and I'm sure there are very good Vet's in your area, but for us, this is the only place that we take our dogs to.