My dog's not doing well

/ My dog's not doing well
My wife and kids said he's pretty bad this morning. He won't eat anything and is just standing around in a daze, looking very distressed. When she let him out, he wandered out to the barn and just stood there in the stalls. They think he's looking for a place to die.

A few years ago, we lost one of our dogs. She had puppies, and then went into depression. Every vet we talked to said that dogs don't get Postpartum Depression, but in the end, that's what got her.

During the process of trying to help her, we started out with our regular Vet, and all three Vet's there looked at her. They tried different meds, took lots of blood, and pretty much wasted our time. We went to another Vet, and they did the same thing. Another Vet and the same thing. Finally, my wife talked to a Vet that she knows from out of our area that knew of a Vet in our area she was impressed with. She said that she was jealous of his brain. That he was on another level then any other Vet that she had ever met.

We went to him and realized that we had been wasting our time with the other Vets. They where all competent, knowledgeable, but not the top of the class like Dr Ramsey is. My wife has been a RN for 30 years, and she has a PhD in Nursing. She knows a little bit about medicine, and even more, when somebody is BSing her. Dr Ramsey has all human grade equipment. His Xrays where crystal clear. I could even see what he was talking about when looking at them!!! None of the other Vets had spent the money for that level of equipment.

Unfortunately, she was too far gone when he finally saw her and she passed away a few days after that. We might of been able to save her if we had gone to him first, but we really don't know.

What we did learn from this experience was that it's very hard to find the very best Vet. They do not admit that they don't know what's happening, and they never tell you that there is a guy in the area that is a lot smarter and better equipped then they are.

I know it's a drive, and I'm sure there are very good Vet's in your area, but for us, this is the only place that we take our dogs to.

Thanks Eddie. I think I agree with you completely about competency. The vet practice he's at has 6 Texas A&M doc's and I'm sure they're competent, but also wouldn't offer up a referral for another opinion.

Sounds like we might be too late. The wife and kids said it looks like he's failing today and he probably won't last very long.

/ My dog's not doing well #83  
@gsganzer I'm so sorry your guy isn't doing well.

I hope that you and your family can remember all the good times with him, too.

All the best,

Peter

/ My dog's not doing well #84  
My good friend works as a Vet Tech an animal surgical hospital. They KNOW that all raw meat diets for dogs are trouble because that worked out 100,000 years ago. But most dogs today have been select bred thruout the ages and now to need the amino acids, proteins, and sugars in dry kibble food. Your pet is not the same wolf that hung out in the last Ice Age.

/ My dog's not doing well #85  
Hope a miracle to happen

I think he's in his final hours. My wife and kids said he won't eat at all and his breathing has become very quick and shallow.

To try to give him some final comfort, they picked him up and laid him on my side of our bed. Maybe with the softness of the bed and my scent, he'll find some solace. He must think he's in bizarro world, because he's never been allowed on the bed. Sometimes, you've earned it and deserve it. He certainly has.

I was hoping he might make it until I get home tomorrow night, but it's probably not going to happen. If I don't see you before I get home, godspeed little buddy, you've been my best friend.
Mason.jpg

/ My dog's not doing well #87  
I think he's in his final hours. My wife and kids said he won't eat at all and his breathing has become very quick and shallow.

To try to give him some final comfort, they picked him up and laid him on my side of our bed. Maybe with the softness of the bed and my scent, he'll find some solace. He must think he's in bizarro world, because he's never been allowed on the bed. Sometimes, you've earned it and deserve it. He certainly has.

I was hoping he might make it until I get home tomorrow night, but it's probably not going to happen. If I don't see you before I get home, godspeed little buddy, you've been my best friend.
View attachment 831336
This is a tough post to read. I am sorry that you can't be home now, but your family is doing their best to make his last time here comfortable.

/ My dog's not doing well #88  

We are so sorry... been in this space multiple times & it never gets easier... God's speed with you, your family (which definitely includes your dog)... thoughts & prayers!