My Front Gate Project

/ My Front Gate Project #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
About 15 years ago I cleared the trees, moved a bunch of dirt and created my entrance. I built the columns and installed the white vinyl three rail fence. Over the years I've sort of lost interest in the white vinyl fence to the point that I'm going to remove it and go with wood. But that's not part of this project, right now.

I've been on and off about putting in a fancy entrance gate, or doing nothing and just living with the gates on the posts that flop around that we rarely close.

My wife really wants the gate closed every night, but we are too lazy to actually get out of our cars and close it every night.

I've decided to build two more columns like what I already have and then mount a 14 foot wire filled farm gate to it and paint it black. Cheap and quick, but not the fancy gate I've always wanted. I can always do the fancy gate in the future, but after 15 years of not getting around to it, I'm not sure if I ever will.

Step one was building the forms and getting them into position. They are 18 feet apart from where the gate hinges will be. On one side will be the 14 foot gate, and on the other end will be a 4 foot walk through gate.

I'm off to Lowes to get some concrete, and I'll have that done before the storms hit tonight.

120184376_10224031428556215_4674584649054160820_o.jpg

/ My Front Gate Project #2  
About 15 years ago I cleared the trees, moved a bunch of dirt and created my entrance. I built the columns and installed the white vinyl three rail fence. Over the years I've sort of lost interest in the white vinyl fence to the point that I'm going to remove it and go with wood. But that's not part of this project, right now.

I've been on and off about putting in a fancy entrance gate, or doing nothing and just living with the gates on the posts that flop around that we rarely close.

My wife really wants the gate closed every night, but we are too lazy to actually get out of our cars and close it every night.

I've decided to build two more columns like what I already have and then mount a 14 foot wire filled farm gate to it and paint it black. Cheap and quick, but not the fancy gate I've always wanted. I can always do the fancy gate in the future, but after 15 years of not getting around to it, I'm not sure if I ever will.

Step one was building the forms and getting them into position. They are 18 feet apart from where the gate hinges will be. On one side will be the 14 foot gate, and on the other end will be a 4 foot walk through gate.

I'm off to Lowes to get some concrete, and I'll have that done before the storms hit tonight.

View attachment 671056

So what is the plans for the space between the existing fence and the new columns?

/ My Front Gate Project #3  
What is wrong with the vinyl fence?

I cringe every time I see someone put up a white wooden fence. Been staring at a broken down one for 20 plus years that should have been torn down 3 paintings ago. They just finally tore it down last week. They are pretty for a year at most then they go down hill.

/ My Front Gate Project #4  
My vinyl fence is nearly 20 years old and still looks great. Have to pressure wash every so often, but sure beats wood fences. I hate wood fences. Come on, with those nice brick columns...make a nice steel gate. 7674A1C1-CA6A-4647-A0FE-A641C401A5D2.jpeg

/ My Front Gate Project
So what is the plans for the space between the existing fence and the new columns?

My secondary reason for wanting the gate is in case one of the dogs gets out. They are chipped, but that doesn't mean they wont get run over if they ran out the gate and onto the road. Which is another thing that's wrong with the vinyl fence, it doesn't keep anything in or out. Horses push it over, goats and dogs climb right through it.

I'll set a treated 6x6 post between the columns and attach goat panels to the posts, and then run treated 2x6's between the columns. Eventually, I plan to do the same with the vinyl fence, but with rolled goat fencing instead of welded panels.

I poured the concrete by mixing it with my Spade Drill in a bucket. I lost count how many sacks I used. I was going to buy6 for each post, then figured I should be save and get 10 for each one. I have some left over and I need to unload them before the storm hits tonight, but I'm having lunch and I don't really want to deal with them right now.

120123336_10224038332608812_1796160094927504658_o.jpg

I can't remember why I bought the steel 2x4 tubing. It's super thick and strong, and just laying around, so I cut holes in it with my torch and welded on some nuts for the gate hinges. The blocks will go next to it and the threaded rod will go into the block where I will lock it into place by filling the open area with concrete.

/ My Front Gate Project
My vinyl fence is nearly 20 years old and still looks great. Have to pressure wash every so often, but sure beats wood fences. I hate wood fences. Come on, with those nice brick columns...make a nice steel gate. View attachment 671076

Your gate is really nice!!!! That's what I want for my place. I just haven't decided what exactly I want it to look like. I've drawn a dozen designs and like them all for a little while, then I stop liking that design and eventually come up with another, that I eventually stop liking. I told my wife that when it's right, I'll know and it will happen.

/ My Front Gate Project #7  
My secondary reason for wanting the gate is in case one of the dogs gets out. They are chipped, but that doesn't mean they wont get run over if they ran out the gate and onto the road. Which is another thing that's wrong with the vinyl fence, it doesn't keep anything in or out. Horses push it over, goats and dogs climb right through it.

I'll set a treated 6x6 post between the columns and attach goat panels to the posts, and then run treated 2x6's between the columns. Eventually, I plan to do the same with the vinyl fence, but with rolled goat fencing instead of welded panels.

I poured the concrete by mixing it with my Spade Drill in a bucket. I lost count how many sacks I used. I was going to buy6 for each post, then figured I should be save and get 10 for each one. I have some left over and I need to unload them before the storm hits tonight, but I'm having lunch and I don't really want to deal with them right now.

View attachment 671086

I can't remember why I bought the steel 2x4 tubing. It's super thick and strong, and just laying around, so I cut holes in it with my torch and welded on some nuts for the gate hinges. The blocks will go next to it and the threaded rod will go into the block where I will lock it into place by filling the open area with concrete.

You are a contractor, and don't have at least a small 120v concrete mixer, and a generator to run it anywhere?

/ My Front Gate Project #8  
You are a contractor, and don't have at least a small 120v concrete mixer, and a generator to run it anywhere?

I’ll have to admit to being a contractor without a cement mixer. I’ve been looking to buy one but haven’t found any good candidates. My block guy is pretty good about letting me use his.

/ My Front Gate Project #9  
Your gate is really nice!!!! That's what I want for my place. I just haven't decided what exactly I want it to look like. I've drawn a dozen designs and like them all for a little while, then I stop liking that design and eventually come up with another, that I eventually stop liking. I told my wife that when it's right, I'll know and it will happen.
Get bill gates to make you a huge computer screen gate. Then you can keep changing the design. But seriously, goats and vinyl are not a good idea, unless you add a field fence inside it with zip ties like our neighbor did. Our horses never have done anything to the vinyl fence.. i guess its cause i never have anything on the other side for them to eat.

/ My Front Gate Project #10  
I’ll have to admit to being a contractor without a cement mixer. I’ve been looking to buy one but haven’t found any good candidates. My block guy is pretty good about letting me use his.

I used to have a tow behind mixer for pouring 8 sac of ready crete for my generator pads....sold it, went back to wheelbarrow. It took longer to clean mixer than to mix with wheelbarrow.