My Ice storm/ generator lessons

/ My Ice storm/ generator lessons
Here is my issue with dual 2000i setup with extended tank.

Amazon.com : IPI BERG Dual Fuel Extender for Generators : Power Generators : Patio, Lawn & Garden

if you bought 2 clones like mine that supported parrell link plus the extended tank setup, and the parrell kit. Your total outlay is somewere close to a $1000. If you did it with to real honda's your looking at like $2000.

Generator development has really embraced newer tech recently. Ive seen better mufflers installed, electric start kits on gennys as small as 5K. electronic notification pannels to give you advanced diagnostics to troubleshoot it as well as built in watt meters and frequency meters. Built in dual fuel options with the option to run propane with the flip of a switch. For $1000+ I could have had one of these in the 7500w run (9K surge) range.

I dont RV and dont generator camp so having 3K of ultra quiet power just isnt worth $1000-2000 to me.

Oh one last note, Ground your generator. The furnace service guy pointed it out when generator supply was a clean 120v but when checking hot to chassie ground on the furnace, was only ~90 volts. the difference being, with a floating neutral, the phase of the hot supply will be "random" and therefore when checked against a true ground will show less then 120v. As soon as you ground the generator, the phase is corrected and will help prevent from burning up sensitive electronics.

I had chained mine to my porch railing but again its just to keep the honest man from walking off with it. One of the added pluses of one of the super quiet inverter types is that by the time you got to the street you couldn't here that i was running a genny. Although the lights in the kitchen was a clear give away.

Overall i was happy with its performance once I understood its limitations (autoidle) Granted for anything longer than a couple of days I probably would have wanted a larger genny, but the reality is, if you can stand monitoring your load and are willing to make the compromises then it would work for as long as you needed it to.

/ My Ice storm/ generator lessons #12  
I've used UPS in similar applications and so far so good.

At work we have automatic doors to the lobby with the BESAM brand.

Always had trouble if the power went wonky... even the lag for the generator to start was an issue.

Fifteen years ago I added a box to the electric panel room and put in a APC UPS and fed the door from the UPS... end of problems... change out the 7 amp hour battery every 3 years.

/ My Ice storm/ generator lessons #13  
I found a 6k generator , a diesel powered light tower . its fairly quiet . Holds 35 gallons of fuel . The bonus is when the boys want to play in the yard at night ,I fire it up , crank on the lights and its like daylight . It annoys one of my yuppie neighbors when I do it . So I try and do it at least 2 times a month .

/ My Ice storm/ generator lessons #14  
With a few parts you can DIY a 220 "kill o watt". I used a couple of these :http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...iiwc1sdm-cfc6f83b-f205-4215-8e87-d28e58107625
on the sub panel used for the generator entry. They are < $15 each delivered via Amazon Prime. They each come with a doughnut shaped pickup you pass a feed line through to read current flow (amps) as well as volts. Use one for each leg to monitor balance and total load. You could fit everything into a box with proper fittings or as part of the feed cord if you don't have the option of a permanent mount location. I think they now have multi display models for 220v that were not available when I did mine...

genny-meter-1.jpg

Nick

/ My Ice storm/ generator lessons #15  
I hate loud generators!!! Finally bought a Honda 3000is a few years back. Expensive but I love it. If I went bigger I would suck it up and pay for Honda. Don't know why I feel I have to sing the praises of Honda but I just do.

The Yamaha's are just as good, in fact, Yamaha used to build the generator heads for the Honda Inverters. I have a 2800 I Yamaha, it's over 15 years old and runs fine, even on auto idle (economy mode).; Inverters produce 110 or 220 (depending on the unit of course) at any engine speed above base idle. Engine speed is predicated on amp draw, not voltage. I have mine for the RV and field use when commercial power isn't available. The farm runs on a 24KW standby propane fired Generac wheh the juice goes out...

/ My Ice storm/ generator lessons #16  
Here is my issue with dual 2000i setup with extended tank.

....if you bought 2 clones like mine that supported parrell link plus the extended tank setup, and the parrell kit. Your total outlay is somewere close to a $1000. If you did it with to real honda's your looking at like $2,000 or so.to.
Nope, more like $2,200 with Companion and wires.

We know people who have run these Hondas for up to two weeks continuously without a hiccup. Living near the coast in a cold weather climate, I'm not going to take a chance when the safety of my family is at stake.

You defend your choice and that's fine, but I don't know anyone who has had a problem starting a circulation pump with an EU2000i, or burnt one out.

/ My Ice storm/ generator lessons #17  
The Yamaha's are just as good, in fact, Yamaha used to build the generator heads for the Honda Inverters. I have a 2800 I Yamaha, it's over 15 years old and runs fine, even on auto idle (economy mode).; ..
Yamaha also makes a 2400 watt model that will run an RV AC that's super popular. And the Yamahas come with jumper cables which are extra cost on Honda.

/ My Ice storm/ generator lessons #19  
   / My Ice storm/ generator lessons #20  
We recently bought a whole house 22,000 watt whole house generator complete with the automatic transfer panel, so we will probably never have a power outage again. I also bought a generac 1600 watt inverter generator. It is supposed to be quieter than the Honda. I need to borrow a friends Honda and do a comparison. I wanted a generator big enough to run the camper air conditioning which the 1600 watt can't do. There was 3 major downfalls to buying a 3000 watt inverter generator. Reason 1. They cost more than twice as much as the 1600 watt generators which can be piggy backed giving me 3200 continues watts or 4,000 start up watts. Reason 2. They were too heavy for one guy easily handle at around 80 pounds. I can handle the 40 pound generator. Reason 3. They burn more fuel all the time VS running 2 generators only when needed.