My Industrial Cabin Build

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,811  
We have been in the house since May 2019, and I still have cabinets to build, drawers and doors for cabinets to build. But we work inside in winter, outside in summer. OP will get there. Jon

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,812  
My opinion FWIW is finished drywall puts you at 2/3 of the way. That’s for your average house. The higher the level of trim and detail, the less far along you are. Lots of work left to trim and finish the house.
And that would align with my builder's statement.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,813  
They have a ton of work to do in regards to painting around all the wood beams and windows. All that wood will need to be masked off and protected.

David ...are all the windows going to have wood trim ? Will the trim be painted or stained ?

I always paint the walls first before installing trim work. That way you don't have to paint around the trim work.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,814  
I always paint the walls first before installing trim work. That way you don't have to paint around the trim work.
This 1000%, being able to roller right over the drywall edges in window openings is so nice. Plus pre-stain or paint the trim wood in a mass-production process on some saw horses, so that you don't fuss with it once installed.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,816  
Agree, paint it all now while you have the floor protection down and before finish work.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,817  
I only had one exposed beam to deal with. It was left covered up by the insulation guys that did the spray foam. They cover everything with plastic for good reason, and I had them leave most of it to protect stuff from drywall, mud, and later paint. All windows were masked off inside to the drywall. Any vents too. Then I had bought a commercial Graco sprayer (low end for commercial stuff but plenty good for me) and sprayed primer all over everything. Super easy to do Then I cam e back over it and sprayed the color coat on all the walls and didn't worry about hitting the ceiling. I found I had to back-roll to get good even coverage but that was still pretty fast with a friend helping. Finally I masked off the walls at the ceiling and sprayed the ceilings (knock down texture on them). Then pulled plastic from everything and was mostly done. The exceptions were rooms that got different wall colors which were done individually with roller and brush, but the ceilings were all shot with the gun first for those.

BUT... You will spend a lot of time covering everything first. But once you start spraying, it goes fast and covers very nicely. You will absolutely have to wear a respirator when doing this as it is nearly impossible to vent the place with all the windows and doors masked over and besides you will be in a fog of paint the whole time, even if you can vent the place.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build
#3,818  
Started rolling primer yesterday. Surprised how much the walls drink up. Taping off beams is a joy. Just tolling thru it steadily. I painted during the summer, in college. I don’t like it but, It isn’t the worst part of the build, for sure.
Just a couple hours after work last night and tonight. I think it bothers me less than vacuuming the dust. We primed Jefanna’s office and ones small section of the main room around the wood stove and started the half bath.
I want to paint half bath and get sink installed. Then get the rest of the house done. I may paint a few walls before finishing all the priming, because it will let me get some mini splits installed. I need to be ready, when the weather is right.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,819  
Sounds like a reasonable plan.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,820  
I had an apartment I rented with 3 room mates in college. They had people come in and paint. You need to hire those guys, they’ll be done in a day. They used a roller everywhere, didn’t cover anything, no brushes, and they did a room that would take a good painter a few hours and did it in a half hour. Rolled right over the light switches and huge swathes with no paint, they didn’t cover any of the furniture.