My Industrial Cabin Build

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,931  
Lauren has been a trooper. She has her ups and downs and there have been frustrated tears but overall she has remained upbeat. We keep pushing. She has found a small handful of very good Dr’s but we have had to sift thru some outrageous incompetence. With an underweight young woman the default is always eating disorder every doctor wants to run tox screen and pregnancy test no matter that the last dozen tests have all been negative. Yesterday we had nutritionist who had dr’s notes saying grade 3 gastroparesis and it was supposed to be to get formula ordered for after the jejunostomy. She looked at endocrinology notes and started asking questions about eating disorder. Lauren explained why she was there. The woman had mot read the notes and was not prepared. Said she would have to get back to her. In her after meeting notes she wrote that they talked about an eating disorder. I was not at that appointment. She is an adult and often I sit outside but I will be in surgeon consult tomorrow.

She has to be a trooper to go through what she had gone through. It has to be hard on your daughter mentally. Her setting and listening to what the Doctors are saying and knowing the consequences would be a very tough thing to do.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,935  
Your stove looks like it burns just right. You have to be happy with that.

1671043410917.png

Last edited:
   / My Industrial Cabin Build
#3,936  
I like that shade of white...it sets off the wood beams nicely ! Now...how many rolls of painters tape have you used !!!

This is what i use to mask off things if i have a lot to do. Really is nice. https://www.lowes.com/pd/3M-Hand-Masker-Masking-Tape-Dispenser/3027115
I have actually used less tape than I expected. maybe 5 rolls of the thin 1 inch stuff and 5-6 rolls of the 3 and 4 inch stuff. That includes what I have on hand to finish the master bedroom.
my biggest issue is that I am maniacal about taping the beams so that I have as clean a line as I can get and it is driving Jefanna a little crazy. But we have worked so hard on this house, I don't want to mess it up with some carelessness taping.

Your stove looks like it burns just right. You have to be happy with that.

View attachment 774600
I have been extremely pleased with the stove. it burns great and gives a lot of heat, with no noise, and the chimney seems to stay very clean. The reburn tubes also work very well. I previously had a catalyst stove insert, that I bought used and ran for more than 15 years. I paid about $275 for that stove and probably spent $900 over the years replacing CATs and rebuilding some of the baffles inside it., as well as replacing a fan. This one was significantly more. I hope that it lasts as long as the other one did for me.

on the medical front...We had a very good appointment today. We drove to Richmond. The doctor understood her issue completely. He wants to run an additional scan (He believes we can get her in this week) and in the mean time, also wants to try her on one more medication. It is a hail mary and doesn't usually work with people who have Ehlers Danlos. if she doesn't respond to the medication within a couple days he will perform the Jejunostomy as early as next week. She was wearing Doc Martin combat boots today and weighed in at just over 100 lbs. we left with a sense of relief, knowing that she will get a lifeline next week. UVA called and told her yesterday that they can see her in two months.....and the hospital system where her Gastro works, said they had a surgeon who could see her next month for an initial consult..... So this is a much better option and this guy has done hundreds of these. His office also has resources they can line up for "wrap around care" to help insure that she has the right kind of formula and no issues with the tube afterwards. The Augusta hospital system had none of that. They said they could place the tube but didn't know what to do for her afterwards......kind of baffling.
Today's appointment was a night and day difference.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,937  
I have actually used less tape than I expected. maybe 5 rolls of the thin 1 inch stuff and 5-6 rolls of the 3 and 4 inch stuff. That includes what I have on hand to finish the master bedroom.
my biggest issue is that I am maniacal about taping the beams so that I have as clean a line as I can get and it is driving Jefanna a little crazy. But we have worked so hard on this house, I don't want to mess it up with some carelessness taping.

I have been extremely pleased with the stove. it burns great and gives a lot of heat, with no noise, and the chimney seems to stay very clean. The reburn tubes also work very well. I previously had a catalyst stove insert, that I bought used and ran for more than 15 years. I paid about $275 for that stove and probably spent $900 over the years replacing CATs and rebuilding some of the baffles inside it., as well as replacing a fan. This one was significantly more. I hope that it lasts as long as the other one did for me.

on the medical front...We had a very good appointment today. We drove to Richmond. The doctor understood her issue completely. He wants to run an additional scan (He believes we can get her in this week) and in the mean time, also wants to try her on one more medication. It is a hail mary and doesn't usually work with people who have Ehlers Danlos. if she doesn't respond to the medication within a couple days he will perform the Jejunostomy as early as next week. She was wearing Doc Martin combat boots today and weighed in at just over 100 lbs. we left with a sense of relief, knowing that she will get a lifeline next week. UVA called and told her yesterday that they can see her in two months.....and the hospital system where her Gastro works, said they had a surgeon who could see her next month for an initial consult..... So this is a much better option and this guy has done hundreds of these. His office also has resources they can line up for "wrap around care" to help insure that she has the right kind of formula and no issues with the tube afterwards. The Augusta hospital system had none of that. They said they could place the tube but didn't know what to do for her afterwards......kind of baffling.
Way to hang in there. It is amazing the differences in folks that you would think would be about the same. Hope you all have a great Christmas.

Best,

ed

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,938  

Glad to hear some better news. Prayers for Lauren from Texas. Glad she's a trooper with combat boots!

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,939  
Finding the right doctor can make all the difference. Much of medicine is "playing the odds", and of course you understand why, as it is logical. When 95%+ of the young, seriously underweight girls you see have some sort of eating disorder, you assume it as the first and most likely cause. The sin is when they won't listen to you saying, "yeah we get why you would start there, but it isn't the issue in this case, so let's move onto the real issue." Had a friend that almost died from a heart attack for the same reason - early 40's, fit, no signs that he fit the "typical" profile. He made enough noise that something wasn't right with these chest pains that they finally reluctantly gave him a stress test, and almost crapped their pants when they saw how bad the results were and rushed him to the hospital for stent surgery.

This sounds like some serious hell you guys are in, and I hope the surgery and aftermath get her some real relief and on a path to recovery and improving. Good luck with the next steps.

/ My Industrial Cabin Build #3,940  
Glad things are moving in a positive way for your daughter continued prayers sent