My MSG to Haynes Repair Manuals

/ My MSG to Haynes Repair Manuals #11  
That's a great example. Kia only sold about 14,500 Sedona's in 2014. There isn't enough volume to justify creating an entire repair book for that low of volume.

I could not find figures. But, lets say 2011, 20012, 2013, & 2014, Sedona's, which are all the same, sales equaled 50,000 units. My guess is, it's closer to 70,000. That's still not generating enough interest.

I am sure it's expensive to make one of their manuals.

Haynes does make a manual for the Sorrento. :confused3:

Kia has a wonderful website, where all the service information is available. Which, used to be free. But, it requires a monthly subscription now.

I may, or may not, have been able to get a boot legged download, of a digital factory service manual, on e-Bay. ;)

/ My MSG to Haynes Repair Manuals
I agree MossRoad, numbers drive the cost vs profit for them. Only 200k tractors sold in 2013 seems way low. Haynes is now a global publisher and most sales are pdf manuals globally and not printed on paper. Think Honda Civic or Toyota PU. Difference is in other countries those vehicles do not have all that EPA crap under the hood. My Ford PU or Ute in Australia and Asia gets 31+mpg, but that engine is not for sale in NA. Third generation Honda Civics in Asia, Africa and EU for many years now run on hydrogen fuel. I am sure my tractor exists in many countries worldwide, under many names, as it痴 built and shipped from Korea. IMO, much more cross over globally for tractors under 100hp, as same tractor is painted blue, green, red, etc and branded differently worldwide. Heck I even found another mfr in USA had used the identical sales broacher and pictures for my WM40. They photo snipped their own Logo and name onto the tractor pics.

Thx daves I forgotten about Clymer, have not seen one in years, but will check it out. Good idea.

I agree with you CCWKen, those new lockout systems are the bane of DIY repair. Can not trouble shoot electrical problems has they shut down the entire system and you need a code reader to understand which part failed or is out of specs. As too why I need a repair manual, simple I own a wrench and I am not afraid to use it.

Thx Avondale, yep a good repair manual also lets me know when I hit my knowledge and expertise limits and need to pay for experts with specialized tools and training.

/ My MSG to Haynes Repair Manuals #13  
There was a period of time where the OEMs where not selling there engine software, but allowing the purchase in some cases troubleshooting manual free. They stopped the paper troubleshooting manual and incorporated it into the engine diagnostic software. Some OEMs would not allow the purchase of there diagnostic software. Now, there has been some very recent changes and i have not figured out exactly why and it would be conjecture. Now, the OEMs have or are allowing the purchase of there software, but not allowing the(open) purchase of there trouble shooting manuals. In some cases they are flat out remove/forcing the removal of the manual from there troubleshooting software.
NOW, here is where this affects the after market manuals. The after market manual publishers really do not write the repair manual, they get permission from the OEMs to use there material. So, if the OEMs are not as freely letting that material out the after market published manuals will be lacking.
SO, what are the repair manual publishers of this world doing to make money? They are creating repair web sites, where the mechanics DIYers post the repair steps, they edit that info, then sell the access, in some cases these are better than the actual OEM manuals.
BEST place to get repair steps? Can you say GOOGLE.
PS. Rebuild manuals will be out there for a while.
PSS. The above is a generality of what is going on in the heavy duty diagnostic industry as a whole, and the problem with a generality is it is just that.

Thx, I guess KISSS, Keep It Simple for Sanity Sake, is a thing of the past. Going the way of anything for a buck...

/ My MSG to Haynes Repair Manuals #15  
Before buying a manual these days you better be getting an OBD code reader.
Shucks, even today's mechanic cant repair much of anything without plugging in his computer.

And tractors are heading that way. Lots of NH's are full of modules nowdays.(and others I would guess)

Reply received from Haynes VP to my msg about tractor repair manuals:
Thank you for your e-mail, I appreciate it. 1/7/2015

As you may or may not be aware, Haynes Manuals purchased the Clymer and I&T line of manuals from Penton Publishing in September of 2013. Included in the sale was the complete line of the I&T Tractor books. The timing of your e-mail is ironic in that we have just been talking about what we could do in the I&T line to add new content. The current line of I&T titles cover tractors from essentially the 30's through the 70's. Tractor Shop Service Repair Manuals from Clymer

We would like to add new content, but realize the audience for the new content is a little different than the audience for a 1930 Ford 8N. It sounds like there may be an opportunity as you have outlined below, but it will take some research on our part to see if it is a viable project. The content is produced by acquiring the machine, doing a complete disassembly of the machine, photographing the process and reassembling everything. The process is a large undertaking and one we need to feel confident in, with regards to a return on our investment, before beginning.

I will pass your e-mail on to our editorial director and ask him to review it further. A project like this can take up to a year from research to production. Please know I thank you for your e-mail and will definitely pass it on for consideration.

Sincerely,
Matt Tusken, Vice President - Powersport, Marine, Ag Sales, Haynes Publishing

/ My MSG to Haynes Repair Manuals #18  
Reply received from Haynes VP to my msg about tractor repair manuals:
Thank you for your e-mail, I appreciate it. 1/7/2015

As you may or may not be aware, Haynes Manuals purchased the Clymer and I&T line of manuals from Penton Publishing in September of 2013. Included in the sale was the complete line of the I&T Tractor books. The timing of your e-mail is ironic in that we have just been talking about what we could do in the I&T line to add new content. The current line of I&T titles cover tractors from essentially the 30's through the 70's. Tractor Shop Service Repair Manuals from Clymer

We would like to add new content, but realize the audience for the new content is a little different than the audience for a 1930 Ford 8N. It sounds like there may be an opportunity as you have outlined below, but it will take some research on our part to see if it is a viable project. The content is produced by acquiring the machine, doing a complete disassembly of the machine, photographing the process and reassembling everything. The process is a large undertaking and one we need to feel confident in, with regards to a return on our investment, before beginning.

I will pass your e-mail on to our editorial director and ask him to review it further. A project like this can take up to a year from research to production. Please know I thank you for your e-mail and will definitely pass it on for consideration.

Sincerely,
Matt Tusken, Vice President - Powersport, Marine, Ag Sales, Haynes Publishing

It is interesting that they are willing to take that approach.
I see a business opportunity here.
You could take yours apart, take the pictures and help them with there manual. To be honest that is how a lot of them are done now.