My MSG to Haynes Repair Manuals

/ My MSG to Haynes Repair Manuals #21  
I am in the habit of writing "stuff" in the margins of my manuals as I learn things not already in the book, (including bolt head size, location issues, interference items, etc).

/ My MSG to Haynes Repair Manuals #22  
Before buying a manual these days you better be getting an OBD code reader.
Shucks, even today's mechanic cant repair much of anything without plugging in his computer.

And tractors are heading that way. Lots of NH's are full of modules nowdays.(and others I would guess)

I'd love to see the tractor industry standardize using OBD II connectors. Already have 2 code readers for trucks and cars but no way to check my tractor. There are a couple companies that sell scanners for tractors at Ginormous prices but they only cover certain brands. There was another thread on this a while ago but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

/ My MSG to Haynes Repair Manuals #23  
I'd love to see the tractor industry standardize using OBD II connectors. Already have 2 code readers for trucks and cars but no way to check my tractor. There are a couple companies that sell scanners for tractors at Ginormous prices but they only cover certain brands. There was another thread on this a while ago but I don't see it happening anytime soon.
The epa forced the automotive OEMs to go to OBDII. Until that happens to tractors agree with you. When the EPA actually checks tractor emissions then we will see it. When that happens any OBD2 reader will work, however only get codes related to emissions. Can't give time line don't follow tractors, look at what Europe is doing that will give you idea.

/ My MSG to Haynes Repair Manuals #24  
Reply received from Haynes VP to my msg about tractor repair manuals:
Thank you for your e-mail, I appreciate it. 1/7/2015

As you may or may not be aware, Haynes Manuals purchased the Clymer and I&T line of manuals from Penton Publishing in September of 2013. Included in the sale was the complete line of the I&T Tractor books. The timing of your e-mail is ironic in that we have just been talking about what we could do in the I&T line to add new content. The current line of I&T titles cover tractors from essentially the 30's through the 70's. Tractor Shop Service Repair Manuals from Clymer

We would like to add new content, but realize the audience for the new content is a little different than the audience for a 1930 Ford 8N. It sounds like there may be an opportunity as you have outlined below, but it will take some research on our part to see if it is a viable project. The content is produced by acquiring the machine, doing a complete disassembly of the machine, photographing the process and reassembling everything. The process is a large undertaking and one we need to feel confident in, with regards to a return on our investment, before beginning.

I will pass your e-mail on to our editorial director and ask him to review it further. A project like this can take up to a year from research to production. Please know I thank you for your e-mail and will definitely pass it on for consideration.

Sincerely,
Matt Tusken, Vice President - Powersport, Marine, Ag Sales, Haynes Publishing

Hey, at least they took the time to reply to you. Today, that's pretty rare. ;)

/ My MSG to Haynes Repair Manuals
Yep, thanks MossRoad. All they usually get is complaints, so a note from me about how to make more money might interest them. IF they want my money here's how...

/ My MSG to Haynes Repair Manuals #26  
The epa forced the automotive OEMs to go to OBDII. Until that happens to tractors agree with you. When the EPA actually checks tractor emissions then we will see it. When that happens any OBD2 reader will work, however only get codes related to emissions. Can't give time line don't follow tractors, look at what Europe is doing that will give you idea.
New cars and tractors now use CANBUS to talk to the various parts. Its not a big deal to see the messages, the problem is knowing that code FF23322E set to TRUE means "Regen needed" and that code FF7228B9 is for engine RPM.

Aaron Z

/ My MSG to Haynes Repair Manuals #27  
I have for sale Mitsubishi repair manuals. See the photos. OOOOPS photos did not upload but contact me and I will provide specifics.