My new horse stall fronts...

/ My new horse stall fronts... #1  

DJ54

Elite Member
Tractor
IH Farmall 656 gas/ IH 240 Utility/ 2, Super C Farmalls/ 2, Farmall A's/ Farmall BN/McCormick-Deering OS-6/McCormick-Deering O-4/ '36 Farmall F-12/ 480 Case hoe. '65 Ford 2000 3 cyl., 4 spd. w/3 spd Aux. Trans
Got the hardware on my last two stall doors yesterday,and a coat of sealer on them... Love that Cannonball track..!!

Attachments

• DSC00211.jpg
    DSC00211.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 1,276
  • DSC00212.jpg
    DSC00212.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 2,737
  • DSC00214.jpg
    DSC00214.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 1,939
   / My new horse stall fronts... #2  
Very nice! Where did you get the track hardware from?

/ My new horse stall fronts... #3  
Very well done ... I wouldn't have horse's good enough for a stall like that. Now my Mules would love it.

/ My new horse stall fronts... #4  
I really like the narrower grill work, I assume it's steel? Usually they use something about the size of 1/2" conduit and it looks like a prison. Did you buy those doors as a kit, or did you make all that from scratch?

I don't see what restrains the base of the doors from being pushed out. Maybe you haven't finished that part yet.

Very nice work.

/ My new horse stall fronts...
Got the track and trollies from a local lumber store, not big box type... Should be able to Google Cannonball track, and find a local supplier in your area. Those doors probably weigh close to 125-150 lbs. apiece, and you can push them with one finger...

Sure you got horses good enough for this...!! Love them long ears too... One of the stalls is for my mammoth donkey, Percy... He is a hoot..!!

Everything you see, except hardware, is built from scratch. Grill work is simply 1 1/2" X 1/8" flat strap. Rods are 3/8" round stock. Cut straps to length, tacked together on the ends, then measured, and center punched 2" O.C., then drilled in a stack. Inserted rods, and tacked on the bottom, then seperated the flats, and spaced at 16" with spacers.

Stall fronts are white oak, all ship lapped. Doors are Poplar, panel ship lapped too...

I need yet to set a stubby 4X4 on the one end to hold it in. I usually set a piece of 1/2" plywood between, for a spacer. These are much like I have here at the old place, and have held up very well for 12 years.

I'll get some pics of the finished interior today, as it is all ship lapped Poplar too, at least the bottom half.

Thanks for the compliments... I appreciate it.

Here is a link for the cannonball track system. Door Track Systems - CannonBall:HNP

I forgot I used it on an sliding entry door here on the old barn. The slider is 14'W and 12' H. Can even move that with one hand. Great stuff..!!

I prefer the pendant bolt type trolley, because the bolt is bent in a configuration, so as to adjust the door in and out for clearance.

/ My new horse stall fronts... #8  
Inserted rods, and tacked on the bottom, then seperated the flats, and spaced at 16" with spacers.

So the rods protrude slightly through the top flat, or is that welded too? Explain the spacers for the 16" horizontal flats, I assumed those were welded too. I would think that would be pretty flexible in the middle of a panel unless the whole thing were welded together. It sounds like the horizontal straps are just floating.

Don't you have any horses that chew? We always get at least one that wants to eat the whole place. I'd be sleeping out there at night to make sure they didn't damage a place that looked that good.

Every rod, is welded where it goes through a flat. I cut 2X2's, then cut a rabbit in the center to go over a rod, and space the flats @ 16", except the top. Lots of holes to drill, and lots of welds to make..., LOL... But they are very ridgid..!!

Welded tabs on, made from the 1 1/2", 2" long, and put a 3/8" lag screw through it, into the poles, bottom, and header across the top.

They don't seem to chew on the insides. But then they aren't locked in their stalls... They are free to come and go when they want. Everyone has their opinion, but I think it eliminates stall sour, or just plain bored, being locked in... AND..., always fearful of a fire... You never know...

The hay rack always has enough hay in it, what they can clean up in a day, or more..., plus out on pasture.

Now if I could just break these two mares, from being "housebroke"....