My Pawpaw's old Oliver and his tiller steer Gibson

OP
M

mwemaxxowner

Gold Member
Tractor
White/Iseki Field Boss 21
I've thought about asking Mawmaw if I can have it some day, but idk what the heck I would do with it. My uncle who currently controls the old shop where it's parked will probably insist that it stays right where it is.

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
I've thought about asking Mawmaw if I can have it some day, but idk what the heck I would do with it. My uncle who currently controls the old shop where it's parked will probably insist that it stays right where it is.

For now that's probably the best place for it, until you have the time and money to get it going again. Although it probably will start without much effort... those old gas engines were pretty simple.

ovrszd

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota M9540, Ford 3910FWD, Ford 555A, JD2210
Although I would hate to admit it, I probably have things sitting in the corner that my Sons and Grandsons would think should be dragged out and used or sold. That's okay. When I'm gone they can do as they please.

ultrarunner

Super Star Member
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
It's 50/50... I've seen family treasures given only to be forgotten and/or neglected...

On the other hand the opportunity to learn through accomplishment can't be over estimated.

Maybe you could offer to service it and get it running...

Actions always speak louder than words.

It's a great piece of family history...

mapper

Platinum Member
Tractor
MF 1734E
The first tractor I operated was a tiller steer Gibson. It was a little work horse.

super55

Platinum Member
Tractor
Oliver Super55, John Deere 4310, John Deere 4400, Kubota L2500 (had)
It might be worth the time to pull the spark plugs and pour some ATF in the cylinders and then put a breaker on the crank pulley and spin the engine a few times to help prevent it from locking up from sitting. The oliver even has an access hole on the front grill to the crank pulley you can get at with an extension. Those crawlers I believe had hercules motors (might be waukesha) but either way they stopped making them decades ago so it's worth the effort to preserve it if it is still a good engine.

fried1765

Tractor
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, 8N Ford, Gravely 12 HP "Professional", 48" SCAG Liberty
It might be worth the time to pull the spark plugs and pour some ATF in the cylinders and then put a breaker on the crank pulley and spin the engine a few times to help prevent it from locking up from sitting. The oliver even has an access hole on the front grill to the crank pulley you can get at with an extension. Those crawlers I believe had hercules motors (might be waukesha) but either way they stopped making them decades ago so it's worth the effort to preserve it if it is still a good engine.

Yup...... my OC46-3G had a Hercules gas engine.
I can't imagine parts being available now.