My Place: a CAT, Mahindra, and Ducks

/ My Place: a CAT, Mahindra, and Ducks
Nice looking vise!

Hahaha.:laughing: Your funny, 25centscore!:confused2: You want it, pay shipping and I will ship that piece of s?xt to you. I really need a new, bigger one.
hugs, Brandi

/ My Place: a CAT, Mahindra, and Ducks #103  
Your work bench looks like mine. I love open shelves and being able to see my tools out in the open. If I'm missing a wrench, I know right away which one. How is that white Makita impact driver holding up for you? I bought one and I loved how small and light it was, but hated how quickly those half sized batteries died on me. Then the trigger quit working and it was always on full speed with trying to use it. I have it hanging on my wall right now for emergency use, but never use it because I bought the blue Makita impact driver and it's been perfect.

I didn't realize the duck nests where like barrels. How do they get from the water into them? I saw over on Pondboss where some people where making floating duck nests, but never saw if they where used or not. Ducks are kind of odd in where they lay eggs. Not like chickens at all.

Your work bench looks like mine. I love open shelves and being able to see my tools out in the open. If I'm missing a wrench, I know right away which one. How is that white Makita impact driver holding up for you? I bought one and I loved how small and light it was, but hated how quickly those half sized batteries died on me. Then the trigger quit working and it was always on full speed with trying to use it. I have it hanging on my wall right now for emergency use, but never use it because I bought the blue Makita impact driver and it's been perfect.

I didn't realize the duck nests where like barrels. How do they get from the water into them? I saw over on Pondboss where some people where making floating duck nests, but never saw if they where used or not. Ducks are kind of odd in where they lay eggs. Not like chickens at all.

As I understand it, the white and blue Makitas have the same guts, but a slightly different housing. I have had Makita cordless drills since they came out with 7.2 volt batteries, then 12 volt, now 18 volt. I have two sets of the driver and the impact cordless kits. One at work and one at home. I love the 18 volt ones. I have 3.0 amp hour batteries at work and the 2.2 amp hour batteries at home. I use the impact and driver every night at work. The impact, I use to remove all screws on the doors and I install the screws with the drill/driver. I have a Milwaukee 1/4" ratchet for small nuts and bolts at work. I had to go Milwaukee because my AC Delco ratchet needed a new battery and it was faster to buy new. Now I got the AC Delco at home with a "late to the party" battery.

My older Makita driver (at home) finally used up the trigger and had a broken, taped up case. For $29 at the Makita dealer/service center in Houston, I got a new trigger and used plastic case half. It had been taped up for years with aircraft baggage bin tape..........an expensive duck tape! Now the thing needs a new armature, for about another $25. Here is the link to the service center, Empire Tools....... Bootstrap Portfolio template

The ducks fly up to thenests. There is a 2x8 underneath with 2 inches of lip to land on, on each end. That is what all the you tube videos said to use. Better yet..........ducks hatched in them look for them to nest in. My ducks are treating the nest like a new stranger on their pond and right now, keeping their distance. Maybe it's too late for this nesting season. Time will tell.
hugs, Brandi

/ My Place: a CAT, Mahindra, and Ducks #105  
Here's a picture I took of my ducks the other day when the small pond froze over. It's only 3/4 of an acre, so it freezes pretty quickly a few times a year. All of our ducks where given to us from friends that tried raising them in small pens, and then didn't want to do it anymore. We've never had a duck egg hatch, but we're thinking that if we can collect them right after they are laid, we can put them under a broody chicken. The ducks seem to sit on a nest for awhile, then just wonder off and never come back to it. Same with the geese. We know that a chicken will push out a bad egg, and some chickens love to sit, while others don't. Might just be that we have a bad batch of ducks that just don't like to sit on eggs?

Once we get this area in the picture fenced off, we'll see about putting some hay out for them along to give them a place to make a nest. Goats and Oscar mess with the eggs. Oscar eats them, the goats just run around and scare the ducks off.

IMG_0691.JPG

Eddie,
I fear the chicken hatched ducks will never learn to swim and be ducks. Ducks pile up lots of eggs before they sit on them. Up to 20-24 eggs. If they lay one a day, it takes a while. The eggs won't start developing until heat is added with a hen sitting. You can save up eggs for a week or so on the counter, adding picked up eggs each day, to have a bunch to go into the incubator. I put eggs into the incubator when I find them, after penciling in the date on the end and candling. Then 3 days before the hatch date, move them to the incubator without an egg turner and more moisture inside. Ducks are harder to hatch then chickens. Good luck.
hugs, Brandi

/ My Place: a CAT, Mahindra, and Ducks #107  
Eddie,
I fear the chicken hatched ducks will never learn to swim and be ducks. Ducks pile up lots of eggs before they sit on them. Up to 20-24 eggs. If they lay one a day, it takes a while. The eggs won't start developing until heat is added with a hen sitting. You can save up eggs for a week or so on the counter, adding picked up eggs each day, to have a bunch to go into the incubator. I put eggs into the incubator when I find them, after penciling in the date on the end and candling. Then 3 days before the hatch date, move them to the incubator without an egg turner and more moisture inside. Ducks are harder to hatch then chickens. Good luck.
hugs, Brandi

Our turkeys plus a few odd chickens breeds my wife does not want to mix with the main group of chickens, the geese, and a whole bunch of ducks all live together. Do the ducks and geese want to go down to our little ponds? Not much, maybe in summer to swim for a few hours, then they go back to hang with the turkeys and chickens. Of chicken, duck, turkey, and goose eggs, duck eggs are the yummiest, next I like the goose eggs, even though they are not 24Kt. Yeah I agree chicken-ducks do not act like ducks. I wonder if they???

/ My Place: a CAT, Mahindra, and Ducks #108  
Eddie,
I fear the chicken hatched ducks will never learn to swim and be ducks.

We are hoping to try putting the duck eggs under the chickens in a month or so, but we have to find the duck eggs first, and that's the biggest challenge. It might work, or it wont. We tried incubators, and haven't had any luck. With chickens, when we let the girls sit on the eggs, once they start hatching, we get a chick or two every morning and every evening. Then we bring them into our house and keep them in different pens according to age. If ducks hatch, they will be kept with other ducks in a separate cage until they are big enough to be let loose with all the other ducks.

All of our ducks are rescues, they never saw a pond before. When we get them, we clip their flight feathers and toss them into the air. They land in the water and freak out at first, then start bathing. And bathing and bathing!!!!! Then they form up groups and start swimming around. By the next day, they are nice and clean and wanting to eat. We feed everyone together, so they all come up to the barn at the same time. Now they are usually there an hour before feeding time.

Anyway, that's how it's worked out for us so far.

We are hoping to try putting the duck eggs under the chickens in a month or so, but we have to find the duck eggs first, and that's the biggest challenge. It might work, or it wont. We tried incubators, and haven't had any luck. With chickens, when we let the girls sit on the eggs, once they start hatching, we get a chick or two every morning and every evening. Then we bring them into our house and keep them in different pens according to age. If ducks hatch, they will be kept with other ducks in a separate cage until they are big enough to be let loose with all the other ducks.

All of our ducks are rescues, they never saw a pond before. When we get them, we clip their flight feathers and toss them into the air. They land in the water and freak out at first, then start bathing. And bathing and bathing!!!!! Then they form up groups and start swimming around. By the next day, they are nice and clean and wanting to eat. We feed everyone together, so they all come up to the barn at the same time. Now they are usually there an hour before feeding time.

Anyway, that's how it's worked out for us so far.

Just an hour before feeding time? Heck, my ducks are mooches and head to the barn anytime in the afternoon they see me heading that way. The stragglers quit running and fly in, sometimes buzzing me when they flare out to land. I love it. Our male goose came up dead one morning, so we only have one female. She runs with the ducks and leads them around.............honking and thinking she is just a big duck.:laughing:
hugs, Brandi

Last weekend, I removed a huge Sweetgum stump. It was 36 inches at the stump cut. I had a neighbor cut the tree down, as I pulled it with the tractor, as it curved over my back neighbor's fence. 4-6-18 CAT and Sweetgum Stump.jpg4-6-18 Huge Sweetgum Stump.jpg
hugs, Brandi