My Place: a CAT, Mahindra, and Ducks

/ My Place: a CAT, Mahindra, and Ducks
PLEASE! SOMEBODY take good videos and post them on TBN!
Eddie and I will be busy catching ducks. I haven't taught Fritz how to take videos, as he is all left paws.
hugs, Brandi

Oh, it didn't happen. A few days before, I was topping off all the truck fluids, for the road trip. I had to add antifreeze. The next day, at Lowes, I saw it leaking out the top left end cap of the radiator. I had prayed to GOD about my concerns and if it wasn't meant to be, I would get a sign. The Friday I was to pick them up, I started pulling the radiator. The morning before, I got an email from the hotel I reserved, to bring my own disinfectants. So that was two red flag signs to me.
I found 800radiator.com and got a radiator for $211 bucks with pickup at the north Houston warehouse.
The radiator, like the truck, has hips as in it's a dually. With the intercooler, the a/c condenser, and the auto transmission cooler all in front of the radiator, it made it a tough nut to crack.

The radiator surge tank has to come out, along with the windshield washer fluid reservoir. But they are molded to fit the spaces and are larger at the bottom. To get the surge tank (molded in a curve fitting around the shoud) out, I had to remove the reservoir for the power steering pump. Then I could remove the intercooler ducts on both sides, then loosen all coolers mounted in front of the radiator. The auto trans lines clip into the 1/2 inch square slots in the radiator on the left "hip". On the right side, the solid a/c condensor line went over the right "hip" into the flex line to the compressor.

When the radiator was lifted up, it had to tilt left and right to slip pass the solid lines. I didn't want to take off the a/c condener, but I should have. I worked around it's removal with about 6 hours additional labor.

I got everything back together and working, only to have the a/c blow warm air. I always had a slow leak that took an annual recharge. But I guess I abused the flex lines enough that they needed to be replaced.
So the radiator, all the 3 different fluids, including 5 gallons antifreeze, two a/c flex lines and charging cost $1102.

So no ducks this winter. What is so odd, is the bottom ot the radiator is about 8 inches BELOW the lower radiator hose port! I figure I saved over $1500 in labor R&R the radiator myself.
Oh yeah, the truck also had a power steering cooler attached to the bottom of the radiator. I never realized it had a PS cooler!
hugs, Brandi

radiator.jpg

Last edited:
   / My Place: a CAT, Mahindra, and Ducks #604  
Wow, would have been easier wrangling ducks !
That wasn't a project for the faint of heart, well done !

/ My Place: a CAT, Mahindra, and Ducks #608  
I eat duck, pheasants, every so often, but its been decades since I plucked one. I skin them only or pass on the hunting trips :)

Repair work has gotten to be complicated. But seems you saved quite a bit of money. Nice.

I finally started on the chicken/quail coop for Brady to take care of. It will be 8x16 feet and since it will not have a floor, I am building it on cedar post stub walls. 10 feet for the chickens and 6 feet for quail. Here is the work so far....
Chicken Quail Coop Bottom Sill Installed 1-17-23.jpg

Chicken Quail Coop In Relation to Sawmill Shed Pad.jpg
I laid the bottom sill yesterday. The day before the sill 2x4s were in a log.
hugs, Brandi