My Special Chainsaw Cart

/ My Special Chainsaw Cart #11  
very nice rob. now you need a cover for the top bin for a table to put your chainsaw on. maybe add a vice? :thumbsup: as always nice job.

Nice project. When you put the cover on top of the bin to use as a table, Install a thin padded top that can be snapped on and off for cleaning, so when you have the saw laying on the clutch side for fueling and oiling it won't knock the paint off the clutch cover and it won't knock the paint off the bottom of the saw when you are doing chain adjustments. A thin pad will also stop the saw from sliding around while you are working on it.:thumbsup:

/ My Special Chainsaw Cart #12  
Nice build Rob!

I have a off topic question. I have owned Still Saws in the past but am not impressed with then new ones. I see you have a Solo. I know its a small saw but how do you compare it to Still and Husqvarna? I really like both of them a little better of the Still Saws but am not totally against the Still at this point.

Chris

Chris, pop over to Arborist site and ask that question. Is there something specific about your Stihls that you don't like? I have several saws. I must say the the Husky XP's are pretty nice tools. I had a new 372 last year. I also have an Echo 6700 that has some very nice features. It actually has a knob that you can turn to set the idle speed without using a tool, and an easy to get to adjustment for the chain oiler output. It has cut a lot of wood and it shown no sign of wearing out anytime soon. :thumbsup:

/ My Special Chainsaw Cart #13  
Nice cart project.

Regards the Stihl saws, can't beat the MS361, 20" bar. It likely will be regarded as a classic. EPA regs are continually downgrading the performance of all the chainsaws.
We continue to shoot ourselves in the foot with the unrelentless Gov't control. They get hired, then have to figure out something to control (called job security, and use of free "to them" money).

/ My Special Chainsaw Cart #14  
ANOTHER quality product by Rob! I can really appreciate the use of those machines and tools you have there, buddy! Unfortunately, they're here at work and not at home! BTW, I see one problem with the cart....it's at your place not mine!:D:thumbsup:

Like Eddie says, "the Swiss Army Knives of carts"!:laughing:

/ My Special Chainsaw Cart #15  
Great job, and do not forget to proudly label it "PROUDLY MADE IN AMERICA"!

/ My Special Chainsaw Cart
Thanks very much guys,
The wagon is just large enough to be able to slide the forks under it if needed. The outside dimensions are 40" wide by 56" long. That happened to be the size of the steel angle iron which was already welded together. I just used it as it was and made everything to fit. You can see the pile of scrap I had and notice the frame in the middle of it.

I used those Harbor Freight tires which were on sale for $9.99 and I already had 2 for some reason?
I have the same ones on my Special Firewood Cart. They leak down so I filled them with tire sealant goop. I'll do the same for these ones. Although each one is rated for 300lbs, I'll probably never have that much weight in the wagon. Those photos with the trailer hitch were attached to my boxblade ball. But this wagon pulls easily behind my ATV. I have roads and trails to most parts of the property now, so it is very easy to get to the downed trees for firewood harvest.

The wood platform comes out of the frame.
Even fully loaded with the chainsaw stuff, Loretta and I can easily lift it out of the steel frame.

My plan is to leave the chainsaw stuff in that wood platform.
Then make another platform so the wagon can be used for gardening. Just to put my lawnmower and weedeaters on, or pots and stuff like that...even cement bags or whatever. For all of us who work outside, you can never have enough "stuff" with you. The platform not being used will keep all the chainsaw stuff together when stored. Same goes for the one with the gardening stuff. Loretta and I plan to build a large Garden shed this Summer. That's where I'll store the wagon and other platform.
Again, thanks for all you swell comments.
Rob-

/ My Special Chainsaw Cart #17  
I know what you mean, Rob. The pics below show !ONE! of my ongoing projects that started as a machine crate and is turning into a small trailer, ramp, etc., etc.:D

Attachments

• SD530651.jpg
    SD530651.jpg
    493.6 KB · Views: 134
  • SD530739.jpg
    SD530739.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 113
  • SD530767.jpg
    SD530767.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 113
  • SD530748.jpg
    SD530748.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 118
   / My Special Chainsaw Cart
I know what you mean, Rob. The pics below show !ONE! of my ongoing projects that started as a machine crate and is turning into a small trailer, ramp, etc., etc.:D

There you go Jay, nice work!
That's pretty much exactly what I do. I use what I have and if it works the way it is, I use those dimensions. After all, it's strictly for my my use so no one will ever know the difference ... except you guys of course.:D

The only thing I do pay particular attention to, are the stress points.
That is why I added those thrust bearings under the front wheels. I also took particular care to have the tongue built well (most trailers are solid) because it's a wagon and not a true trailer. In this case, the tongue swivels sideways at the wheel frame to move the wheels with a tie rod. Then in front of the tongue, the handle part swivels up and down for the handle or trailer hitch.
Here are some photos that show how the tongue is fixed to the wheel frame and tie rods. I split a cross tube piece to put one part on top and one part on the bottom of the wheel frame to (sort of) balance out the pulling force on it. The second photo shows only the lower one, but the 3rd photo shows the tongue with the cross tube on top and bottom of the wheel frame like a clevis or yoke. The pin goes through both of them.

Then at the handle end of the tongue I made a pivot for the handle portion to swivel up and down.

I used 1" diameter leader pins as pivot pins for all those connections.
Each of those pins are drilled and tapped for greasable Zerk fittings too.

Other than that, it's just build it with what you got and make it work.

/ My Special Chainsaw Cart #20  
Great cart its a very cool idea having different job specific tops should save time and make things easier. I have a couple of questions, how much does the unit weigh when loaded and is it stable in off canter situations. My 4-wheeler weighs about 600# and I fear having the cart leading the horse. Thanks Mark