My take on driveway gates

/ My take on driveway gates #72  
Never under estimate the ability of criminal master minds to go out of their way being stupid to commit the crime.

Case in point, my daughter this week had her SUV broadsided by someone that ran a stop sign ... 200 feet from a police station. In Georgia the police have license plate scanners and In Georgia you are required to have car insurance to cover losses to other drivers and people, a driver's license, and to come to a complete stop at stop signs and not to proceed until it is safe to do so. He had no car insurance and no license on him because it was suspended. Yet, not only did he drive through a stop sign, he committed his crime on a street where there was a high chance of a police officer running his plate just by driving by or behind his car. They ended up charging him with a bunch of crimes, maybe 12.

I was talking with my wife and we both agreed if we would be breaking the law by illegally being on the road, we would have driven a mile+ around the police station and certainly not down around the center of town less then a football field away from the police station where we would likely encounter a police officer. We would make sure all our lights were working, our glass was perfect, with no stereo on, and not be on the cell phone, paying attention to NOT get in an accident or stopped.

Never under estimate the master criminal mind to commit a senseless crime like driving through or over boulders or grass or breaking gates to steal patio furniture, even though you think it might deter them in the future. Or driving by a police station AFTER you already had your license suspended. You can't fix stupid.
You and your family sound like folks I would enjoy having for dinner but by today's standards you are fools. Maintaining insurance and other expenses to legally keep a car on the road falls under the same heading as working one's way through school. Why bother when all these safety nets are in place?

/ My take on driveway gates
I

I installed one of the E8 openers on my front gate a few years ago. It's worked flawlessly ever since. I've been very impressed with it so far. I ran 12/2 direct buy romex 800 feet to the gate. It's on a 20 amp breaker and I'm probably losing about half of that power over that distance, but it still enough to power the opener and 4 LED lights that stay on all night.

We decided to install the gate for a few reasons. People where driving down our driveway to our house and then saying that they where lost, or looking for a dog, or if their friend lived there. Most of the time it was an obvious lie, sometimes they where really lost because my street is North, and they are looking for the South address, which is almost an hour away.

We also where worried about our animals getting out and running out the driveway. This gives us another layer of security if somebody gets out.

Unfortunately, the biggest issue we've had is FedEx refuses to come past the gate. The gate opens with a button, so it's not complicated. UPS and USPS both come in to deliver packages to the house, but FedEx refuses, so they leave everything at the gate.

I still need to wrap my cinder blocks in rock to make it all look nice.

View attachment 761998 View attachment 761999

But why? Someone can just drive through them….lol

Yours are much more grand then mine, nice set up.

/ My take on driveway gates #75  
Great set up - quality opener. What solar setup are you using? Or did it come with the opener? That panel doesn't seem that big.
I have a small panel like that. All it has to do is to keep the battery charged. The battery does the work. My batteries typically last about 3-4 years.

/ My take on driveway gates #76  
Do you know the simplest way to keep those people away? Within their circle they practice SHUNNING. Just say you are a former JW and you want to show them the way out of it. They will turn high tail and NEVER RETURN ! Even if you invite them over, they will not come.
I offer them a beer and say let’s talk. They leave because I think they don’t drink.

/ My take on driveway gates #78  
I think you missed it…..layers, they’ll move on to easier targets, but by all means keep being condescending. It suits you.
Yes, you can have your layers with the blankets pulled over the eyes. It suits you too.

/ My take on driveway gates #79  
I apologize for not reading the entire thread, but could the OP's thief have taken the patio set by accident? The reason I ask is that around here, anything by the road is considered free unless it has a sign with a price. Unwritten rule, but stuff will move fast! I've intentionally left out old appliances, furniture, crappy firewood, lawn mowers, and bicycles. All taken within 24hrs and never had people take anything else.

/ My take on driveway gates #80  
gòoklookodďkkkou9