My tractor is broken

/ My tractor is broken #1  

gcp

Silver Member
It's sad! After all the work I put into this new to me IH 584 by degreasing it, repairing all its leaks and painting it, and boy was I proud of all that work, Saturday after using the FEL to remove a cemented post I suddenly could not shift into reverse or low. The shifter is stuck in high but the gears (1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th) still work just fine.....plus, in my angst to get it unstuck I cracked the shifter :ashamed:

Can someone please give me an idea of what I'll be faced with in attempting to repair it? Is this a job I shouldn't tackle myself due to transmission complexities or could it be a simple fix?

/ My tractor is broken #2  
I have never had to work on the shifter of my 684 but the first thing I would do is take off the levers and see if you can move it by hand. I remember reading somewhere that the shifter wears and gets out of adjustment and make it not shift correctly.

/ My tractor is broken #3  
It's sad! After all the work I put into this new to me IH 584 by degreasing it, repairing all its leaks and painting it, and boy was I proud of all that work, Saturday after using the FEL to remove a cemented post I suddenly could not shift into reverse or low. The shifter is stuck in high but the gears (1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th) still work just fine.....plus, in my angst to get it unstuck I cracked the shifter :ashamed:

Can someone please give me an idea of what I'll be faced with in attempting to repair it? Is this a job I shouldn't tackle myself due to transmission complexities or could it be a simple fix?

Down here we call that a Dupont Imron overhaul! I will ask my IH buddies if they have any knowledge of your 584 tranny. I know of bigger models have issues with the T/A but not sure if you even have one or not.

/ My tractor is broken #4  
I think beyond the Dupont tune-up you should have checked the mechanicals!!!

It is not that tough of a job, more time consuming but hard to figure exactly what is to loose to allow you to get it to this point.

Last edited:
   / My tractor is broken
I'll demonstrate my ignorance, what is the Dupont Imron overhaul? And what mechanicals should I have checked? The tractor worked fine for a month until it didn't.

/ My tractor is broken #6  
dupont / imron are references to 'PAINT'

it's common to see someone buy an oldtractor.. fix a leak, maybe change a hose..etc., paint it, then try to sell it as restored. thus the 'dupont restoration' comment.

soundguy

/ My tractor is broken #7  
I'll demonstrate my ignorance, what is the Dupont Imron overhaul? And what mechanicals should I have checked? The tractor worked fine for a month until it didn't.

Your not the first! A dupont tune-up is a paint job!!!!

Find another 584 that you could drive to feel the difference in the shifting. There are several places that might have gotten loose enough to allow you to not shift properly.

You have two levers, one is the range and works that part of the transmission and the other is the speed.

/ My tractor is broken
OK, but mine needed to be painted because in a few body parts, as well as the right fender, the metal was rusting so the surface protection was needed. I didn't paint it to sell it, it's staying with me after I fix it!

/ My tractor is broken #9  
My dad said" Son you better watch your wallet when you see a newly painted tractor"..I found out he was right about the concequences? But nobody likes rust..

/ My tractor is broken #10  
rust for sure needs treatment.

it's all an art vs a science.. just got to really inspect things.

paint can hide cracks.. can hide patched cracks.. will even seal a leaky flange or gasket temporarilly.

painted hoses and wires are a red flag.. it's a short cut.. what other shortcuts were taken.

again.. investigation is the key.

i knida feel the same with new fluids too.. .. I'd almost rather see old oil then new oil.. :)

soundguy