My Trailering Adventure

/ My Trailering Adventure #1  

skipmarcy

Veteran Member
Tractor
2001 Mahindra 4110
I'm sitting home today trying to nurse my broken pride and right arm (broken right arm, that is) that all came about at quittin' time last nite. It will probably take me 2 hours just to type this little story of mine. I was loading the same tractor, on the same trailer, behind the same truck that I've done well over 100 times in the past 3 years, and in virtually the same spot I had recently just loaded at once before when my fiasco began.

I've got my F250 SD 4x4 parked on what I thought was a slight hill on an asphalt driveway, heading downhill, with my 20' trailer behind. I religiously apply my parking brake as hard as I can, then put it in park. I proceed to drive the tractor up the ramps in low 4wd with my loader bucket up of course and have the 6' boxblade on the back. Just as soon as my rear tires got level on the deck the whole rig breaks traction and starts sliding down the driveway. Shock was the first thing to hit me, then the fact that I was picking up speed and there was nothing in the path of the rig,so I made my decision to abandon ship. I guess I was doing something between 5 and 10 mph when I turned the key off on the tractor and jumped hard off the left side. This is when I broke my arm.

I rolled into the ditch and up against the horse fence and got on my feet pronto. The rig caught traction and stopped about another 50' or so past where I jumped, which made the total slide approx. 150' long. When the truck stopped, this launched the tractor off the tongue of the trailer and the loader bucket into the rear of the truck. The 'glas cap disintegrated and the tailgate & left side of the bed is destroyed. When the left front tire of the tractor came off the tongue, the bucket mashed down into the fender just above the wheel - this is what kept the tractor from flipping off completely.

I walked back up the hill and got my friend to come help. We chained the boxblade to a D-ring with a ratchet binder for a safety and I had to get on that tractor and walk it back onto the trailer - had to use the bucket most the way to help and working that joystick with a broken radius was a memorable experience. Got the tractor off OK and no damages to it that I saw in a quick look-over, the trailer is definitely warped in the tongue to that left side but I don't think it broke any welds - will have to check every single one closely. I don't think there's any structural damage to the truck but I haven't looked it over yet. It pulled the trailer back up the hill to my friend's place without anything unusual feeling or sounding. Of course it's got $1k's of body damage.

I know exactly what happened - this driveway had a little gravel/dirt scattered here & there on top of the asphalt, the grade was steeper than it should have been for loading but not exceptionally, and when my loaded rear tires hit the end of the trailer it picked up at the tongue and took too much weight off the rear tires and they started sliding.There are several things I could have done to avoid this accident and you can bet I won't skip the details again. I'm really disappointed in myself but thankful to the Lord it wasn't any worse. How was your work week ?

/ My Trailering Adventure #2  
This might not help - but at least you are not alone.

Similar situation - slight slope on drive way, trailer hooked to truck, loading tractor carefully, when I get the wheels half way up the ramps the rig slips forward. Give tractor some gas to speed up ramp and push the whole set up further forward - much faster. Getting hairy!

Then my wife noticed the frame on the back hoe was digging in the ground (angle too steep) and the whole thing was never going to load!

oh well, easy to miss the little things and fortunately no damage but I did feel silly. Now I make sure I have the bucket well in the air!

Hope your damages are not too bad.

/ My Trailering Adventure #3  
The bright side is you can tell us about the little incident!!:D :D :D

/ My Trailering Adventure #4  
I run into this all the time loading a boat, it weighs about 25,000#. I pull it with a 4x4 2006 Ford Powerstroke F-350. Yes, its that heavy. Anyway, you must back the trailer all the way in the water to get the bunks wet and then pull it back out quite a bit till all the fenders are out of the water. If you don't the back of the boat will float and the anchor roller will get caught up it the bow stop. You want the boat to ride up the bunks. If you don't have it in 4 wheel drive, I use 4 LOW, and someone on the brakes it always happens and then just pushes the boat up the ramp.

Your arm will heal and the truck and trailer can be fixed. You are alive, that is what is important.

Chris

/ My Trailering Adventure #5  
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Glad you are mostly ok
I NEVER would have thought such a thing could happen.
NEVER
Never even crossed my mind as something to worry about, I do stuff like that all the time.
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!

Bet that was a heck of a 8 second ride.

/ My Trailering Adventure #6  
doh !!!!
thats a dang bad situation!!! i have loaded mine many tiimes and that never crossed my mind, i always find the most level spot i can and put jack stands under the rear of the trailer. Now i know why i do that
glad your ok man and thanks for reminding us all of a normal situation that can go bad in a way you never thought of.

/ My Trailering Adventure #7  
Yep. I’m going out right now to buy some trucker style wheel chocks.:eek:

/ My Trailering Adventure #9  
First time I loaded my Kubota with loaded rears and Woods Brushbull 600 with chains (cutter is 1250# with chains), the rear of the truck (Silverado 1500 at that the time) came up off the ground. The tractor drug the truck & trailer backwards while it went forwards. I quickly found religion and put the jack stands under the back of the trailer! The spot it was in didn't allow for a roll off, thankfully!

Had you drove the tractor forward quickly, the truck would have stopped. But that is NOT the first thing that comes to mind while riding the run away express!~ Not by a long shot.

Glad you only have the minor bone in your arm cracked. Could have been much worse had you froze and stayed on the tractor until it crashed.

jb

/ My Trailering Adventure #10  
Diamondpilot said:
I run into this all the time loading a boat, it weighs about 25,000#. I pull it with a 4x4 2006 Ford Powerstroke F-350. Yes, its that heavy. Anyway, you must back the trailer all the way in the water to get the bunks wet and then pull it back out quite a bit till all the fenders are out of the water. If you don't the back of the boat will float and the anchor roller will get caught up it the bow stop. You want the boat to ride up the bunks. If you don't have it in 4 wheel drive, I use 4 LOW, and someone on the brakes it always happens and then just pushes the boat up the ramp.

Your arm will heal and the truck and trailer can be fixed. You are alive, that is what is important.

Chris

I wad at a river fest last year and a guy was getting ready to load his boat and he got a bucket out of truck and wet the bunks down about 3/4 back.
I though it was weird after he was in lot with boat I asked him why he only wet part of bunks he said if he dunks the hole bunk its too slippery. He did put it right against the stop in one smooth shot his wife was in truck and pulled right out.

tom