My vintage workhorses

/ My vintage workhorses #1  

RichZ

Veteran Member
White Creek, New York, Washington County, on the V
Tractor
Kubota 4630 with cab and loader
I had to use a digital camera for my job, but had time to take a few fun shots of my 1951 Ferguson TO-20, and my 1967 Oliver 1550. These are my work horses. I've had Fergie for over a year, and Ollie for only a few months. I couldn't be happier with both of them, and I give them pretty heavy use!

Attachments

• 44-158493-MVC-026S.JPG
    44-158493-MVC-026S.JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 308
   / My vintage workhorses #5  
Those are nice machines, Rich. I've been "wanting" for about 10 years, and now looking with money in hand for about a month. I started looking for the type of stuff you are running, then progressed all the way up to new 4wd's like everyone else on this board. Now we are taking a little break to allow reality to settle in. One of the things that keeps coming up in our minds is the amount of money tied up in more modern 4wd tractors, and what else we could do with the $$ if we got an older one.

There are plenty of older, decent units around here, with and without loaders. I've pretty much settled on power steering, but like the old Ford-Fergie style. How do you find the Fergie is to work, assuing it is manual steering? I know you've only had both for a short time, but I'd appreciate your perspective. Everyone else must be sick of me repeating this on new threads (sorry), but this is the place for informed opinions, and I'd like yours, as well as others. We're going to be in the woods for hardwood, mowing/hogging about 2 acres, and doing road maintenence and odd jobs.

The idea of a small Farmall Cub or 8N/Fergie/Massey for yard/mowing/utility work, and then a larger unit for the heavier work is very appealing. Two for a lot less than the price of one, so to speak, is also very tempting. We've got a large local club and network of "antique" tractor owners that are very close, and even the dealers advertise for the older tractor business.

I'm on the fence - I need a shove, and most are shoving me in the 4wd compact diesel direction. What about you?

/ My vintage workhorses
OK, Mark, get ready to be shoved! I have NEVER needed 4 wd on either of my tractors. I've had the Fergie for over a year, and done everything from brush hogging to manure spreading and almost anything you can think of with it. My property is very hilly, little of it is completely flat, and I am now involved with my neighbors in farming another 50 acres. The Fergie does not have power steering, and does not need it. My friend, who I am farming with has a 62 hp Belarius with power steering. He frequently borrows my Fergie because it's easier to steer and makes tighter turns. If you get a Ferguson or Ford "N" series, don't worry about the power steering, you won't need it. My Oliver is much larger, it also has 62 hp, as compared to the Ferguson's 25. The Oliver has power steering, and handles beautifully, but since it's so big it does need it.

As far as getting a Farmall Cub, be careful with that. Remember it doesn't have a 3 point hitch, unless one was added later, so getting implements can be hard. But there are kits to convert to a 3ph.

I have NEVER regreted my decision to go vintage. I spent $3200 for the Ferguson (with a 3ph snowblower) and $5000 for the Oliver. That's far less than anything new would cost for one tiny tractor. As far as maintenance, I have had very few problems. Most I can handle myself (and I'm no mechanic) and I have a local independent tractor mechanic who is very reasonable for anything else. When I got the Oliver at an auction, I knew there were some steering problems. The dealer who was auctioning it promised to get me all parts to repair it for free (he lived up to his promise), and my mechanic overhauled everything including the steering for a few hundred dollars, so now it's in tip top shape.

If you have any questions on vintage tractors don't hesitate to ask me! If you don't want to post them, my e-mail is rbz01@health.state.ny.us.

Good luck, and go vintage!!!

Did I shove you enough??/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ My vintage workhorses #7  
Quit Shovin'! O.K., now my nose is in the grass and my pants are tangled up in the barbed wire /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif.

You are saying exactly what we are thinking. And people are wondering what I am waiting for. You know that funny feeling some people call sixth sense (I call it something else but that's for the "Faith Forum")? Something has been bugging me, and it's probably common sense trying to connect through the noise of conventional wisdom. I ain't knocking the CUT's, but this tractor thing is only one line on the list of projects. I almost went for a new L3710HST last week @ $22k, which would have meant no shop/machine shed, no truck, no trailer, and almost nothing else for a few years.

This vintage forum is kinda slow. There are others out there on the 'net, but I'd like to see this one get more time, because it's easier to use, and I've gotten accustomed to hearing from some folks.

I read your post about the auctioned Oliver and the steering - I'd forgotten about that. Thanks for the shove.....got my pants loose, but I hope that wet stuff I just put my fingers in isn't what I think it is....../w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

/ My vintage workhorses #8  
Nice looking pair you got there Rich. I have been following your posts about your tractors, and am glad you still like them. I would still like to get an older tractor. First, I like the style of them, and I like to work on things. Also, sence I have never used a newer tractor, I would not know what I am missing./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ My vintage workhorses #9  
Knucklehead,
I too have a strong affection for the older models. I like my new Cub Cadet, but it doesn't hold a candle to my old Farmall 200 when it comes to doing "real" work. The Farmall had a 2-point fast-hitch with a 3pt adapter that I had made. My brother uses the adapter on an old Super C to run his 5' Dixie Cutter. My Farmall had a narrow front end, which I suppose, can be dangerous if you aren't carefull, but I had it in many compromising situations and it never flinched. I like the manueverabilty of a narrow front end for haying. When it comes to getting a vintage tractor, buy whatever jumps out at you. They all have their own personalities. You can find parts for many of them at NAPA.
One last thing, I don't know about all the tractors, but I know the older Ford 8n's and Farmall M's didn't have "live" hydraulics". If you step on the clutch while picking something up, the hydraulics stop.

/ My vintage workhorses #10  
IHC man - thanks. I'm still getting pressure to buy a more modern unit. You're a Southern boy, right? Like York County?

Thanks for the tip on the hydraulics. I'm looking at a IH 444 over at Waterman's for $5500, they say it's one they used on their farm. The pump is on the motor, and they say it's a bit slow (low gpm), but works. There's no loader on it. It's clean (been painted, but no nasty dings on the tin), has 3000 hours. A lot of stuff they have is nasty on the outside, works good on the inside. Noticed there were a pile of Fergies in this week's Uncle Henrys. I'm currently looking around, like on YT, for info. The old ones are everywhere up here. Do you belong, or attend any of the Maine Anitique Tractor Club functions? I was in for a couple years, but let it go. There's a lot of them up here in the Kennebec County area.

Attachments

• 44-158800-IH444Right.jpg
    44-158800-IH444Right.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 168