My vintage workhorses

/ My vintage workhorses #31  
Real nice. I like it.

/ My vintage workhorses #32  
Nice looking rig, Mark. I'm sure you'll be happy with that one. Of course, no law sez it can't have an older brother as a stablemate...

/ My vintage workhorses #33  
My Farmall was close; it was a four hour drive each way. I had liked what I saw by pictures, so I took the trailer with me, just in case. Then it was love at first site/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

I had not actually bid on my tractor; it was a seperate deal. This guy was liquidating 16 tractors after he had a heart attack. I had seen his ebay ad's, but none were the Cub or "A" that I wanted. So, I dropped him a line to see if he had anything else; he did!

I have a friend who bought two collectable Camaro's over the last coupe years. He had to go by description on email, phone, and pictures. In both cases, the cars were what was described, and the deal went well. One had to ship from the mid west, the other from the east coast, to here in central Calif.

I had talked to Steve Carver previously about finding me a Farmall Cub, since they are more plentiful back east than here in the west. He said he could find one for $1000-2000. But... It would cost about $1000 to ship it cross country. That's a lot of stamps/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ My vintage workhorses #34  
Knucklehead, here is a pic of my 1980 Ford 1700. only a 2-w drive. I gave $2 thousand for just the trtractor. it had 1500 hours. Have since overhauled the engine and replaced the plutch & pressure plate. I really like the little fella, does every thing i need to do.

Attachments

• 44-161221-jim1.jpg
    44-161221-jim1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 156
   / My vintage workhorses #35  
Jim - nice tractor! Oddly enough, I live just outside of Augusta, myself. Right now it's 55 F here. What's the temp in GA?

Did you make that ROPS? How does is attach? That black 2"x2" one on mine is from CA. I found a guy in Maine who's trying to find/make one, and he's getting the same answer as the previous owner of mine: $800 + $200 to ship it. Glad it was put on mine before I bought it. My ROPS attaches as shown in this picture. It'd sure be nice if he could avoid paying $1000, and get/make a safe ROPS.

Attachments

• 44-161288-ROPS@axle.JPG
    44-161288-ROPS@axle.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 160
   / My vintage workhorses #36  
Hey guys,

Do not forget the often over looked David Browns,and Oliver 550,770 tractors.

/ My vintage workhorses #37  
Mark, I live in Augusta, ARKANSAS. I don't know what the temp is in Georga. The temp here
today was 90 deg. I will get some pics of the rops tomorrow and send them.

/ My vintage workhorses #38  
Oops /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif. Now you know how thoroughly I read profiles. Thanks for the pictures in advance.

/ My vintage workhorses #39  
For a ROPS, check with your local 4x4 truck/Jeep shop. They may be able to make one for you, or refer you to a good welding/fab shop that can do it.

If shops like those can build a roll cage for a Jeep or Land Cruiser that will protect the driver/passenger in a roll-over, they can easily build a robust ROPS for a compact tractor. They can even put mounts for lights and tool box on it while you're there.

/ My vintage workhorses #40  
Thanks, Robert. The fella I'm talking to via email is considering making one. As you said, they are quite simple. Makes you wonder why they are so expensive ....can you say liability? I knew you could. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif