My welding project.

/ My welding project.
gabby,

I pondered the idea of the fifth wheel ball but then I don't have any fifth wheel trailers although I could use at the fair when we are setting up trailer displays for some of our vendors.

/ My welding project. #22  
Cliff; You got a real deal on the cost of your class. Mine ran $402 total including the books. It was for a full semester. Ofcourse the instructors were husband and wife, nieghbors of mine too! Sometimes my hours of work aren't consistent and they were flexible enough so I could go in on Sundays and practice from 0800-1500. Then I even switched a couple times from my evening class to the morning class, and could still get 8 hours in if I wanted. After all that, I guess the price was worth it, especially when you add that I added another useful skill besides the ones I already had. I might now be a weldOr, but I'm still a rookie. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

On the autohood, I doubt if I could strike an arc without it. They make a definite difference. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Oh yeah, I graduate tomorrow. Now I need the three P's, practice, practice, and more practice. Do you plan on a Mig or Tig, along with stick? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Congrats on your sucess!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ My welding project. #23  
Johnday, I will finish my semester class (community college $250- 8 flexible hours after work a week) in about two weeks. I got the auto dark helmet also and jumped ahead of the others in class on starting beads. Some of the other eventually bought the auto change. I want a MIG but also want a Stick I want something for a shop and something portable and I want only one unit. I don't think they make it yet. I was thinking a generator and a MIG and Harvey suggested a used Miller Bobcat. I'm finishing my projects - toothed bolt on edge, a mailbox, and bucked teeth for my backhoe.

Your welds look great! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ My welding project. #24  
Yup, this welding stuff is great. Wish I'd learned years ago. My next project is a welding table, then more trinkets for the TC. I'm thinking of a boompole attachement for the loader out of square tubing for one. RonJHall and I were talking about before the soiree you guys had. Now that you guys let him and Betty come home, maybe I'll get it done before our version of summer. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think the next thing I'll tackle is getting a Tig and class A CDL. Getting older does have benefits, even tho I don't know the connection between the CDL and Tig machine. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ My welding project. #25  
Make sure to tell Ron to take pictures while building the boompole. I will need one by the Fall.

<font color="blue"> "...I don't know the connection between the CDL and Tig machine." </font>

That's OK. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

What's a CDL? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ My welding project.
John,

The price of the class was very reasonable and if I knew a portion of what my instructor has forgotten I'd be pretty good! I would like to go with a TIG. I had the chance to do a little bit of everything. My instructor said I caught on quickly, I liked welding aluminum as much as anything. I have been contemplating all kinds of things to build....most tractor related....imagine that! I am thinking of making an attachment that will pulverize, level and groom all in one. I keep looking at the box blade, adding a tooth bar of sorts to the front lower section with a raised leveling blade towards the rear and then a final grooming attachment to the rear.

I would have to say that the Auto Darkening helmet makes a huge difference in getting the weld started. There were two of us in the class that purchased them and one of the guys had one he had purchased years ago and paid dearly for it. Now I need a building to put the welding stuff in.

I have been using my KK tiller with runners set at there lowest point to just skim the surface of the ground. The results have been great but the soil conditions can vary so much that you may have to make multiple passes and then use a harrow to do the final grade. I did get a landscape rake but need a little more seat time with it and gauge wheels. We need to launch a think tank for the ultimate....affordable....grounds prep tool here on TBN.

/ My welding project. #28  
Don; I'm sure Ron will make sure photos are taken!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Cliff; I need another building myself, but that has to wait until I move "upnorth". I'm thinking a 30X40 building with a loft and 10' minimum sidewalls. That way the ROPS can stay up and the TC can have a house too. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Guys; I just got in from getting my final grade, a B+!!!!! On the final exam the section about Mig I kept thinking Tig. I'm glad on the Tig, I was still thinking Tig!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I always wanted to be a weldor, and now I are one. Does that mean I get to wear a funny little flower hat, dip Copenhagen, and have Nascar stickers all over my truck? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ My welding project. #29  
Nice design and great job. Now just be careful. The hitch I designed and posted pics of and sold a couple of on eBay is now being sold by someone else who claims to have a patent on my design!!! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif You have a great idea there. Protect yourself from the design theives. Trust me, they are thick and they are ruthless.

If you are even considering production, spend the $500 or $600 with an attorney to begin the patent process. I've designed way too many things that were "borrowed" and then fraudulently listed under a bogus patent number. You can look up patent numbers on the internet. My post will get deleted if I get more specific, but you will easily find bogus patents listed if you look closely. And, those who list the bogus patents are not afraid of threatening you about continuing to use your own design that they lifted. Again, great work! I wouldn't warn you of this if I didn't like your design.

/ My welding project. #30  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( gabby,

I pondered the idea of the fifth wheel ball but then I don't have any fifth wheel trailers although I could use at the fair when we are setting up trailer displays for some of our vendors. )</font>

It is not hard to make a design that will do both. I did since I bought a gooseneck trailer. However, I'm not showing anyone. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'll be told I can't make anymore after someone grabs my design. I'm sure you have figured out how to do one. If not, PM me and I'll tell you.