Need a large Extension spring that is discontinued

/ Need a large Extension spring that is discontinued #1  

Sean2202

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L305DT
Greetings,

I am looking for a large extension spring that is discontinued for my Hy-Roller Woodchuck WC-17 chipper. The spring dimensions are as follows and do not have to be exact but need to be close:

Extension spring
23 1/2 long from hook end to hook end
19" long from coil end to coil end
Spring with is 1 3/4" wide
Spring coil width is 1/4

I have searched Grainger, Mcmaster-carr, Tractor supply and now at my local J-D dealer. Nobody seems to have that dimension.

Any other suppliers out there?

Sean

/ Need a large Extension spring that is discontinued #2  
Call this place 859-600-0470 :drink:

/ Need a large Extension spring that is discontinued #4  
I did a quick search of the spring companies I know of but none show that big of spring as a standard spring. Some do show they will custom make the spring. I used bing to search for "extension spring".

One thing, be careful of your measurements. The one I question is the 1/4", how did you measure that? Use a pair of calipers to be sure what the wire diameter is. .207 seems to be a standard but I didn't see .250 so verify it to be sure.

If all else fails you can make one with a lathe but that can be a challenge, especially dealing with that wire size.

/ Need a large Extension spring that is discontinued
Thanks for the replies, I double checked my measurements with a digital caliper and the wire diameter is still .250.

I just looked at the Spring store and put in my dimensions but did not find anything for that size. I will try calling them and the other number listed a little later today.

spring.jpg

Last edited:
   / Need a large Extension spring that is discontinued #6  
Can it be replaced with a shorter spring and maybe stiffer?

/ Need a large Extension spring that is discontinued
   / Need a large Extension spring that is discontinued #8  
I would go to a tractor/equipment junk yard.

/ Need a large Extension spring that is discontinued #9  
it's not the spring SIZE that's important, it's the force supplied by the spring and the range of travel the mechanism requires to contain the work.

My first go to are rubber bungee straps until I connect with something else. Free on the roadways all over the country.

/ Need a large Extension spring that is discontinued #10  
I have a large stock of them my father has picked up on his walks.

One would have to know how particular the application is. Several springs in tandem might work. Unused (just about all of it)personal excercise equipment sometimes has nice big springs.