Need advice. 釘ush Hog for tractor

/ Need advice. 釘ush Hog for tractor #11  
Think ratchet rakes and piranha bars really enhances brush operations for compact tractors. Have a piranha bar on my M59, 5’ bucket. Better digging on hard ground and can clear brush and understory trees better and faster than a grapple. Can’t beat a grapple for carrying off brush or handling logs. Be curious your review of the ratchet rake from a similar size tractor.
Lots of good DIY grill guard enhancements on this site. A small stick can cause $$$$ damage.
IMG_1402.JPG

Last edited:
   / Need advice. 釘ush Hog for tractor
Re: Need advice. é©¥?sh Hog for tractor

556ED265-C789-49A9-9C54-0EEB2E78811D.jpeg2A8B98C5-5B95-4D63-A9F5-B970A3553220.jpeg556ED265-C789-49A9-9C54-0EEB2E78811D.jpeg9D16C688-B8F9-44B9-A405-EA1093150E54.jpeg2A8B98C5-5B95-4D63-A9F5-B970A3553220.jpegA prescribed burn was mentioned. I did one a couple months ago. Never forget it!

Photo of my footings if anyone thinks I知 exaggerating about the rain:)

Last edited:
My ratchet rake came Saturday morning, that was quick! Still too muddy on my building pad Saturday to retrieve my old bucket. Last nite we were up to over 50 hours without rain, I was able to walk to the bucket and could have safely drove my rtv to it but, my tractor is heavy and if the wheels spin, they dig a Panama Canal that stays wet for..... at least 1 week, probably more.

I致e played golf for 60 years, still working on it. Addicted Golfers, especially before retirement, pay very close attention to weather, especially rain. I will play in any weather, except rain! Again, I pay close attention to the weather. Because of that, I have a name for weathermen that I can稚 use here.

Last nite about 8 I thought, I could go out in my after shower undies and probably get that old bucket but, my buddy the weatherman forecasted only 20% chance of rain over nite so, let it dry a bit more.

I bet you can guess what I知 gonna say next. We got 1/2 inch of rain, hard rain over nite, thunder, lightening. Good thing it was only 20%. Ponds and puddles everywhere and another 2-3 days of waiting for things to dry up. So there my ratchetbrake sits.

I have 3 questions. (2 unrelated)

1. I wonder can I use the ratchet rake on my 4 in 1?

2. I wonder what a 田limate change thread would look like?

3. ( my favorite). I wonder what a 杜etric vs SAE thread would look like. (pun not intended)

I was at the big story tellers festival in Asheville NC years ago. The guy said, 渡ever cuss the rain or a winter calf? No clue about the winter calf but, as far as cussing the rain, what else are you supposed to do?

I致e started calling Carolina, Oregon with an accent (I lived there 7 years) different culture, similar climate.

Thanks agin for the videos on brush clearing, maybe someday.

/ Need advice. 釘ush Hog for tractor #14  
I want to go back to Jeff's comment regarding armoring your tractor. Pine trees are notorious for breaking into tractor killing spears. I rarely ever cut pine trees but managed to drive a 4' section of 1 1/2" pine tree through the front of my radiator guard and if it hadn't hit my battery, it would have gone through the radiator. I had a FEL on at the time. A pine tree took out a protective boot on my front end steering on the 3940. I found part of a pine tree wedged between the frame and hydraulic filter on my TN85. The filter was badly crushed. It is expensive to buy tractor armor and a pain to service a tractor with it on, but I can tell you from experience, it is money well spent.

/ Need advice. 釘ush Hog for tractor #15  
I want to go back to Jeff's comment regarding armoring your tractor. Pine trees are notorious for breaking into tractor killing spears. I rarely ever cut pine trees but managed to drive a 4' section of 1 1/2" pine tree through the front of my radiator guard and if it hadn't hit my battery, it would have gone through the radiator. I had a FEL on at the time. A pine tree took out a protective boot on my front end steering on the 3940. I found part of a pine tree wedged between the frame and hydraulic filter on my TN85. The filter was badly crushed. It is expensive to buy tractor armor and a pain to service a tractor with it on, but I can tell you from experience, it is money well spent.

Amen to the armor. Doesn’t take much of any wooden stick to get you. Sadly armor is mostly diy preventing some to skip it. Some of us have to pay more for education than others.

Want to thank everyone. I’ve decided to hire a guy to finish the job I’ve been doing by hand. I don’t mind doing it, it just takes too much time.

Got the ratchet rake and itching to get it on. Any opinions, what about attaching ratchet rake to 4 in 1, might have to modify rigging, maintaining the open/ lose function. Would it work?

That would be great!

/ Need advice. 釘ush Hog for tractor #17  
Good morning out there.

One of the fellas... suggested ratchet rake, after watching videos I bought 1. $350 vs $3500 plus, worth a gamble? Thx for that.

Yes regarding trees and tractor damage. Inm not going to drive over those things. Ive cleared maybe 2 acres by hand, 8-10 to go. Worst case, I can do that.

Thx for the link to videos, working on iPhone this morning so I will look later but thx.

Someone suggests that, if my property was a tree farm the county ag extension might be of some help. Oh boy.

First off, I am a tree farm recognized by the state, I had to do submit a long form called a f�orestry plan. The only benefit so far is I avoid sales tax on certain purchases. Helped when I bought my new tractor!

It’s all I can do not “go off” as my ex used to say. I will say this. I dealt with the dept of defense, electronic warfare systems, for 30 years. Most of us here do not have enough years left for me to even hi lite the problems associated with dealing with the govt and most of their employees. The govt is people.

I will say this. I have filled out more forms, had more meetings with this county guy, or this ag gal, or the state guy blah blah. It has been a complete waste of my time, they still get paid, well!

When I bought the tree farm, everyone said, the state will burn your land for free, give you lots of free advice, this and that. All bs. They do it, just not for me. Again, Ive been to 10 offices at least. I actually found “ the right guy” and now it’s all about the virus.

If I’ve learned 1 thing dealing with the govt, any level of govt., most of the employees are looking for any reason in the world not to do something, anything. They get a check on Friday regardless. In the private sector we look for reasons to do something, or we don’t get paid.

Ive also learned, virtually everyone has either worked for the govt or is closely related to someone working for the govt so I dont dare tell the truth out loud.

Im just not one of the local boys and that works against me. All wonderful people though.

After 2 years of excuses from our govt, I hired a private forestry guy to burn my land, done in 6 weeks. Paid for by me! That helped but he said 2 more burns at least, just to get back to even.

I’m really holding back, my experience with the local extension has been a complete waste of time, both listening to their double talk, endless forms, and wasting time just waiting for them never to respond.

The prescribed burn was one of the coolest things, done at night. I volunteered to watch the fire breaks so as not to burn neighbors land, what a hoot! I Have pics, no clue how to post from I phone. My fault.

Sorry for the long reply but, you should really hear what I say about dealing with our govt. and their helpful employees. Maybe not
As a 40 year government forester, I will say that we enjoy working with landowners to help them to achieve their management objectives. But forestry is a profession and we do make recommendations based on our education and experience. Oftentimes landowners have unrealistic ideas about forest vegetation management and we don’t sign off on practices that are unsound. That forest management plan that you say is bureaucratic is required by state laws and is documentation that public cost/share funds are wisely spent on sound practices. I have met few fellow foresters who don’t care about good management practices and providing helpful, sound advice. I suspect that your attitude has much to do with your experiences and outcomes. Maybe reflect on that.

/ Need advice. 釘ush Hog for tractor #18  
I would rent a skid steer with a mulcher up front. Get it all done once and use your tractor with bushhog to maintain it. Just make sure your property can handle the 13,000 lbs of weight. I got a skid steer stuck up to the top of the tracks.

/ Need advice. 釘ush Hog for tractor #19  
...just riffing on some other comments.

Years ago when I first got a used brush hog I got some real useful advice from my old timer neighbor.

He suggested that when I was brush hogging to use lower gear and the FEL as a bumper by keeping it just off the ground when moving forward. Also to back over the thicker/denser clumps while lifting the brush hog up for leverage.

I've never taken the FEL off the Kubota...

...just say'en.

/ Need advice. 釘ush Hog for tractor #20  
...just riffing on some other comments.

Years ago when I first got a used brush hog I got some real useful advice from my old timer neighbor.

He suggested that when I was brush hogging to use lower gear and the FEL as a bumper by keeping it just off the ground when moving forward. Also to back over the thicker/denser clumps while lifting the brush hog up for leverage.

I've never taken the FEL off the Kubota...

...just say'en.
Exactly. Go backwards when things are too dense and/or too thick. And specially if you don't know what's underneath.

From what I see on the forums and videos, people just slam that pedal down forward and plow everything, usually crazy fast as if they are racing someone. Then they find all the branches, rocks, etc the hard way. Usually with a ripped filter and broken filter housing, HST fans, hydraulic lines and electric wires.

If I'm mowing anything that is taller than the hood of the tractor, I just go in reverse. Same if I'm mowing for someone else and I don't know the field or what's hidden under all the brush.

It's very common over here to have open water wells with no protection at all. Several people died while mowing brush because they didn't caught the well in time and the entire tractor just fell inside the well.