Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property

/ Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property #11  
Know a kid helping grandpa milling lumber and a plank he was feeding kicked back striking the boy in the head killing him...

Had the boy been tall in stature or grown the plank would not have hit the head.

At the Christmas tree farm only 18 year old with training and safety equipment allowed to use chain saws and even switching to battery saws didn't change the rules.

It's great to have someone interested in teaching the young man.

My brother loved the dairy operation but it was the last place I wanted to be as for me it was all about mowing and bringing in the hay... best summers ever.

Last edited:
   / Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property #12  
Man, your over thinking it. Do some relaxed fishing during the day, and have a fire in the evening. Maybe do some target shooting, and all that. Maybe have him do some chores, but enjoy the efforts; ie gather, cut, split wood, for that fire.

Looks like Cali had open all year season, without bag limits on Jack rabbits.

Last edited:
   / Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property
Camping and sleeping outside.
Here's a pix from a trail camera where I might have him swapping memory cards.

Another pix, same camera, also included her cub. Same camera, a pix with momma bear and two cubs. And a pix of two coyotes chasing a bear.

A couple of nights ago we had two cougars the size of the one in the picture in the front yard at 9:30pm.

So what I am saying: If he camps out in this area I need to make sure he has a good camera! 😃

Cougar5.jpg

/ Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property
I would hesitate to make any specific recommendations without knowing / seeing the person in question.
That makes a lot of sense. I'm trying to build a list I will have in the "back pocket." As I learn more about his capabilities, I can pull appropriate things from the list to do.

The sawmill is a manual bandsaw mill. Anything with a spinning blade is a risk but I'd rate it on the low side of the scale. Lots of physical labor involved-- his mom tells me he can bench press 300# pounds at age 15-- so this might be a way to wear him out.

/ Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property #16  
I agree with several of the comments. Safety needs to be number 1. You will have to judge the kid's maturity.

My shop rule is the ten finger rule. If you begin the day with 10 fingers, you must end the day with 10 fingers. I don't hover, just make sure they're using tools correctly.

If you do decide to use a chainsaw...
It is hard to hurt oneself with the Black and Decker Alligator saw, and it actually does pretty good with stuff up to about 4" or so.
For a "normal" saw, perhaps go with 16" or smaller, and get him a pair of chainsaw chaps.

Now, you can't hover all the time. Teach safe techniques, and let him have fun.

Do some of your daily chores. If you use a tractor, teach him where to walk, where not to walk, pinch spots, crush spots, etc. That will be with him for the rest of his life.

Old stick shift farm pickup? 4 wheelers? 3 wheelers? Feed animals, set irrigation, etc. Castrate calves. Yep, that is part of life.

Have fun.

I go to auctions from time to time. I don't know if they laugh at me when I take the long way around a tractor or loader. But, there is a reason that is ingrained into my consciousness.

/ Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property #18  
Let him drive the tractor. It would be fun and he will be able to tell his friends back in the city that he got to drive a tractor. I love letting kids drive the tractor. Constantly supervised, in low gear. Kids love it.
Eric

/ Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property #19  
I taught all the kids to drive my F150 with stick shift around age 12 to 13 at the farm.

Being 4wd and in low range they got an easy intro into clutch throttle coordination.

Some of the nieces later had boyfriends that couldn’t drive a stick…

One was away at University and she drive a friends stick home… out of about a dozen people she was the only one that could drive as her friend had a cast on.

/ Need advice regarding a "city boy" coming to rural property #20  
Here's a pix from a trail camera where I might have him swapping memory cards.

Another pix, same camera, also included her cub. Same camera, a pix with momma bear and two cubs. And a pix of two coyotes chasing a bear.

A couple of nights ago we had two cougars the size of the one in the picture in the front yard at 9:30pm.

So what I am saying: If he camps out in this area I need to make sure he has a good camera! 😃
I think I'd want a camera with a pretty powerful flash.....and capable of taking multiple pictures before requiring reload.