Need Advise: Adding a Hydraulic Thumb

/ Need Advise: Adding a Hydraulic Thumb #1  

Avenger

Veteran Member
Tractor
LS XR4145C
After a few hours of searching, reading, googling, reading more, watching videos, etc. I'm more confused that ever. I am 100% positive others have asked this question multiple times on this site over the decades this forum has been active, but the search function does not seem to answer my question. How do I add a hydraulic thumb to my Woods BH90X backhoe?

Details:
I have a Woods BH90X backhoe with a mechanical thumb. I'd like to replace that static mechanical link with a hydraulic cylinder, plumbed in to the existing hydraulics on the backhoe. But how do I do that? How do I plumb in the hydraulic circuit? Do I need external power to my backhoe for an electronic solenoid? I have a 7-pin connector outlet on the back that I could use, but is that even necessary? How would the thumb be controlled? I saw one example of a switch mounted on the metal mousing below the joystick, when turned on, a function of the joystick moves the thumb. Not exactly what I was thinking, as you have to manipulate the switch, and remember to turn it off. I was thinking like a foot controlled peddle or something?? Something that I can use in conjunction with the normal operation of the backhoe. And how would I plumb this in? There is no auxiliary output on the backhoe (which would be nice), so do I add one somehow?

If you have a Wood backhoe, with a hydraulic thumb, please take some photos of how it is plumbed and how you operate it. I'd love to get this done this winter. Thank you so much for your time and attention. I know, this might be beating a dead horse, but I am really in need. Thank you!

/ Need Advise: Adding a Hydraulic Thumb #2  
1st remember you need to have your cylinder operate in both directions, push and pull for the thumb to be moved to clamp and release. A foot switch can be made to do this but unless finding a used donor hoe, these seem to be less common these days.
For 3rd function loader controls and some hydraulic thumbs folks have be installing primarily 2 types of systems.
1) diverter systems. This is where a hydraulic function is diverted (disabled) usually using an electric switch connected to a solenoid valve to allow the thumb to function in place of that function.
2) a true additional hydraulic circuit. Some times these are an additional spool valve and some times a solenoid valve with a switch mounted on one of the levers. With this system while it looks much like the diverter valve, you have all functions all the time.
Typically folks prefer the independent 3rd function solenoid system for ease of operation. Unless you can find a foot operated/controlled valve, you feel as though you need an extra hand.
I have not worked hoes in many years, but a few used foot controls for swinging the boom left and right. If you could find one if those systems, it should be able to be adapted to fit your hoe and plumbed to operate your thumb.
As for a solenoid valve, I would suggest a packaged valve kit. For loaders I know W R Long is a popular supplier. Idk about for hoe thumbs however.

/ Need Advise: Adding a Hydraulic Thumb #3