Need help figuring out which Oil/Coolant to use - Please and Thank You

/ Need help figuring out which Oil/Coolant to use - Please and Thank You #1  

tractorsmoke

Tractor
New Holland Workmaster 40 - Boomer
Hey all, I am working with a New Holland Workmaster 40 that is owned by my late father in law.

Unfortunately he passed away in the beginning of August and the family is not sure what they plan to do with his tractor.

What I do know is that it is currently sitting out back in the garage sitting and I do not want to let it sit and deteriorate so I plan to maintain it as best I can. Also, we always used it for mowing the lawn and doing other related work with it considering our yard is quite large.

Anyways, I noticed upon checking in on it recently that the coolant level is quite low.. I believe that the oil is OK for now but I may need to put some in it in the near future.

So with the being said, I am trying to figure out the exact fluids that I should be using to put in it, I have the manual and have read that there are a couple different types that I could be using.. So with that in mind, How should I proceed?

Should I drain the fluids that are currently in it to avoid mixing fluids if he had a specific fluid that he was using?

Or would I be OK?

I am assuming that I may want to completely drain and change the oil when it comes time to needing to do the oil, but what about the coolant?

Here is the fluids that are recommended for this tractor in question

I am trying to get it filled up properly and started / ran around the yard to put some use on it so I can keep the engine from sitting too long without use.. I would really appreciate any and all help that you all can offer, thanks a lot.

1699372914854.png

/ Need help figuring out which Oil/Coolant to use - Please and Thank You #2  
Are there no oil/antifreeze jugs sitting on a shelf that would give you a clue as to what your fil was using?

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Need help figuring out which Oil/Coolant to use - Please and Thank You #3  
Hey all, I am working with a New Holland Workmaster 40 that is owned by my late father in law.

Unfortunately he passed away in the beginning of August and the family is not sure what they plan to do with his tractor.

What I do know is that it is currently sitting out back in the garage sitting and I do not want to let it sit and deteriorate so I plan to maintain it as best I can. Also, we always used it for mowing the lawn and doing other related work with it considering our yard is quite large.

Anyways, I noticed upon checking in on it recently that the coolant level is quite low.. I believe that the oil is OK for now but I may need to put some in it in the near future.

So with the being said, I am trying to figure out the exact fluids that I should be using to put in it, I have the manual and have read that there are a couple different types that I could be using.. So with that in mind, How should I proceed?

Should I drain the fluids that are currently in it to avoid mixing fluids if he had a specific fluid that he was using?

Or would I be OK?

I am assuming that I may want to completely drain and change the oil when it comes time to needing to do the oil, but what about the coolant?

I am trying to get it filled up properly and started / ran around the yard to put some use on it so I can keep the engine from sitting too long without use.. I would really appreciate any and all help that you all can offer, thanks a lot.

View attachment 830848

Personally I would just change the fluids in question, then you know for sure what is in there and that it is the right stuff.

Just my 2 cents.

/ Need help figuring out which Oil/Coolant to use - Please and Thank You #4  

Or would I be OK?

View attachment 830848
How many hours on the tractor? Any service records?

/ Need help figuring out which Oil/Coolant to use - Please and Thank You
Are there no oil/antifreeze jugs sitting on a shelf that would give you a clue as to what your fil was using?
Actually I looked around and was only able to find these, which I'm relatively sure are not any of the correct oil's , but I'm not positive on the coolant... I read that it would take a 50/50 mixture coolant but I am not sure if this is the correct one, I assumed that it is not because it says it's for Asian vehicles and not tractors

also, the oils are not the correct sae, I'm hoping he didn't use any of those! I'm assuming he didn't.

Attachments

• 20231107_132901.jpg
    20231107_132901.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
  • 20231107_132452.jpg
    20231107_132452.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 38
  • 20231107_132857.jpg
    20231107_132857.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 38
Personally I would just change the fluids in question, then you know for sure what is in there and that it is the right stuff.

Just my 2 cents.
This is what I'm leaning towards doing, In which case I'd still be looking for info on which fluids to look for when I go to purchase... I only ask because I see that as far as the oil is concerned that it says there are 2 possibles

/ Need help figuring out which Oil/Coolant to use - Please and Thank You #7  
First of all - What climate are you in? North Alaska, Hawaii?
Most oils mix fairly well.
But cold climates can do with a llighter weight oil for starting in the winter.
Not so with anti-freeze.
If the plans are to keep the tractor you might want check the antifreeze color. Or just plan on draining, flushing and replacing. In general if you mix green and orange antifreeze they can form a thick, jelly-like substance that can completely stop all coolant flow which can lead to overheating.

/ Need help figuring out which Oil/Coolant to use - Please and Thank You #8  
This is what I'm leaning towards doing, In which case I'd still be looking for info on which fluids to look for when I go to purchase... I only ask because I see that as far as the oil is concerned that it says there are 2 possibles

For engine oil, a CK rated diesel oil is what you want. It's backward compatible to whatever API rating your manual specifies. You have more flexibility in the viscosity ratings than what the manufacturer is specifying. Depending upon your location and weather, you could use 0w-30 though 0w40 or anything in between (ie: 5w30, 10w30, 5w40, 10w40, 15w40).

I live in a somewhat moderate climate with winter temps occasionally in the single digits. My preference is 0w40 full synthetic. The API diesel rating is important.

There is a wide range of coolants that you can use. The manufacturer's specification of ethylene glycol is a very broad stroke, as almost all coolant chemistries are ethylene glycol based. My personal choice is Zerex G05, which is a hybrid organic acid coolant with a 5 year change interval.

/ Need help figuring out which Oil/Coolant to use - Please and Thank You #9  
My oil preferences are for a 5W-40 synthetic with a CK rating.
As far as anti freeze it is hard to standardize on one if you have newer vehicles around as many of them are quite specific as to what to use.
I would not recommend mixing anti freezes it can cause problems, draining and flushing is likely to be your best bet.
However you could open the cap and look in the radiator if it's green coolant then you could likely safely add more 50/50 mixed old fashioned green. The freeze protection should be checked any ways, the freeze protection also doubles as an anti boil over protection also.

First of all - What climate are you in? North Alaska, Hawaii?
Most oils mix fairly well.
But cold climates can do with a llighter weight oil for starting in the winter.
Not so with anti-freeze.
If the plans are to keep the tractor you might want check the antifreeze color. Or just plan on draining, flushing and replacing. In general if you mix green and orange antifreeze they can form a thick, jelly-like substance that can completely stop all coolant flow which can lead to overheating.
We are in Florida.

And I've actually learned today that the family plans to sell the tractor.

With that being said, I'd like to get it filled up with the proper coolant and I believe it should actually be OK on oil for now..

I checked the Oil and Hydraulic fluid and that seems to be OK at the moment, I still have to check the transmission oil I believe.