Need Help with correct engine replacement Troy Bilt Horse Rototiller

/ Need Help with correct engine replacement Troy Bilt Horse Rototiller #1  

capegardens

Tractor
Troy Bilt Horse
I have an older (80/90s) Troy Bilt Horse rototiller by Garden Way. Model 12089 Serial 120890103799

Has a Briggs and Stratten 8 HP engine on it that has burned out. My hubby wants another 8 HP - bit I am not sure which motor to get. What would be the B & S replacement model? I can not seem to find an exact replacement explained.

Briggs & Stratton 1450 Series 306cc OHV Horizontal Engine, 3/4" x 2.51" Crankshaft, Tapped 3/8-24, 3/16" Keyway
Model: 19N132-0051-F1

8 HP INTEK INDUSTRIAL COMMERCIAL, Crankshaft Extension: 3/4" Diameter x 2 21/32" Length, Tapped 3/8" - 24, 3/16" Keyway. looks like same one above. listed as model numbers below
19N132-0051-F1
202332-0563
202432-0063
202332-0063
202332-0563-B1
20S232-0063-F1

Is this one powerful enough?
Briggs & Stratton CR950 208cc Horizontal Engine, 3/4" x 2-27/64" Crankshaft, Tapped 5/16-24 Model: 13R232-0001-F1

I see some Kohler at 7 HP that state

TROY BILT HORSE TILLER KOHLER ENGINE REPLACEMENT 7HP COMMERCIAL

KOHLER CH270-TBH 7HP REPLACEMENT ENGINE KIT FOR ALL TROY BILT HORSE TILLERS

/ Need Help with correct engine replacement Troy Bilt Horse Rototiller #2  
Kohler 7 hp is plenty big enough and not so heavy to make it hard to run them. ---a lot of them came with a 6hp Tech. on them and did just fine. I prefer the Kohlers myself and last year I bought 3 of them to put on my older tillers.---they were s'posed to be direct fit,---BUT we all know how that goes!--bumper/guard cant be used with the new style motors,----the crankshaft bolt hole on the new ones takes an obsolete fine threaded 1/4" or some such size bolt to hold the pulley on.
After a disappointing install of the first one, the other 2 are still in the boxes they came in.
The one I did get mounted and running does just fine, tiller is 25 pounds lighter on the front end with the new motor because it is made from luni instead of cast iron like the original Kohler 7 was,--soooo there is a big trade-off when you try to replace these engines, and buyer beware!
I kept my old original cast 7 and will rebuild it and put it back on the tiller it came off of. The new engines will be used on walk-behind garden tractors and one will go to run a hydraulic pump on my dump trailer.

/ Need Help with correct engine replacement Troy Bilt Horse Rototiller #3  
I have the 6hp Tecumseh tiller, with dozer blade, trailer hitch, and furrower. I've never been short of power. After about 30 years, and lots of problems with the carb and alcoholic gas, I replaced the engine with a 6.5 from Harbor freight. It seems even more powerful now. I can see no need for 8hp. I might find more HP useful if I had the generator or chipper attachment.

Bruce

/ Need Help with correct engine replacement Troy Bilt Horse Rototiller #4  
For casual use the hf motor probably would work for a while, BUT with no parts for them, I would suggest staying away from the China crap.--just my .02!

/ Need Help with correct engine replacement Troy Bilt Horse Rototiller #5  
For casual use the hf motor probably would work for a while, BUT with no parts for them, I would suggest staying away from the China crap.--just my .02!

To the best of my knowledge when Garden Way started offering lightweight aluminum engines, they included a cast iron additional weight under the engine.

I understand and agree not wanting HF gas engine for a Horse tiller and I will also keep my Horse original with the HH60 Tecumseh engine, however there is abundance of all kinds spare parts for Honda clone engines on the eBay!

Here is the tiller I bought for $200 last summer:

3728 II.jpg

Last edited: