Resolved - Need help with grapple problem

/ Resolved - Need help with grapple problem #1  

kdparker

Tractor
Kioti DK 4710 SE
This will be a long post but I believe if you are asking for help you need to give all the details/information available.

Background:
  • Land Pride Grapple SGC0660 will not open
  • Have owned for 3 years with no issues (familiar with quick connectors and how to depressurize before disconnecting)
  • Installed and used on Kubota L4060 for two months with no issues
  • Dealer installed 3rd function kit Kubota part #L2265
  • The grapple was in the full closed position when I pressed the open switch on the joystick. I could clearly hear the solenoid actuate and I could see the hoses deflect all the way to the grapple but no open movement. I pressed the close switch and could clearly hear the solenoid actuate and I could see the hoses deflect all the way to the grapple.
  • I repeated the above a few times in the field with no movement of the grapple.
  • I took the tractor back to the barn to do some additional trouble shooting. With the tractor not running, I actuated the switches to depressurize the lines. I then disconnected the first quick connector with no issues but the second connector was difficult. I got the connector disconnected and pressed the poppet in on the tractor side and there was a good bit of pressure relieved.
  • After I manually relived both sides of the two lines, I reconnected both lines, cranked the tractor and pressed the open switch. The grapple opened about one or two inches and stopped. I could not get it to open and future.
  • I turned off tractor and redid all the steps above to relive the pressure. I found the exact same condition. One line from the tractor had pressure when I pressed the poppet. The LP owner’s manual labels this line as the “pressure line” the other line is labeled the return line.
  • I reconnected both lines, cranked the tractor and pressed the open switch. The grapple did not open any more.

Summary: It appears to me both solenoids are working and pressure is going to the grapple.

I am going to post this on both OTT and TBN.

I am not sure what steps to take from here. Any insights and suggestions would be appreciated.

Keith

/ Resolved - Need help with grapple problem #2  
Sure sounds like one of the quick connects is not fully seated for some reason. When this happen, it will act like a check valve and won't the grapple either open or close.

Can you swap the lines? Or is it setup with male/female on the grapple and the same on the tractor side?

/ Resolved - Need help with grapple problem
It is setup with male/female on the grapple and the same on the tractor side

/ Resolved - Need help with grapple problem #4  
Have you tried with the engine at idle? Sometimes if a quick disconnect is failing they will work at low flows but not higher flows.

Second question: do both hoses stiffen when trying to open? Same with trying to close.

If both stiffen then pressure - flow is getting to the cylinders but being blocked from returning.

/ Resolved - Need help with grapple problem
Thanks for all the insights and suggestions.
NCL4701 on OTT nailed my issue with the comment below.
“I had never removed the quick connects on the loader valve end of the hoses for the third function so of course they couldn’t be the problem. Then, for what reason I don’t recall, I glanced at the quick connect on the loader valve end of the third function lines. One of them wasn’t fully seated. Put it back on correctly and that fixed it. No clue how it got knocked loose.”

This was my problem and it not corrected and grapple working.

Thanks again,
Keith

/ Resolved - Need help with grapple problem #6  
(y) (y)

Lots of experience and helpful people on both sites. It's just a matter of finding the right guy.

gg