Need help with my geometry

/ Need help with my geometry #101  
Then he might know what these are too.
View attachment 465966

I used to have to read five level tape but it was only good for base 8 or octal. Eventually got to where I could add and subtract but had to convert to do anything more with it. It was easy to get cross eyed and lose your place.

View attachment 465967

Things are much easier today.

Dick is that some kind of old core memory? Ferrite toroids with copper run thru them?

/ Need help with my geometry #102  
I asked my 20 year old nephew if he knew what a slide rule was. He almost instantly quoted me:

"The Slide Rule 7.08
THERE IS NO "MUST SLIDE" RULE!!!
Rule 7.08 - Any runner is out when -
(a) (3) the runner does not slide OR attempt to get around a fielder who HAS THE BALL and is waiting to make the tag.
The key phrases here are: "or attempt to get around" and "has the ball waiting to make the tag."
The runner may slide or attempt to get around the fielder. He does not have to slide. Plus, unless the fielder has the ball, the runner doesn't have to do either.
The purpose of the rule is to prohibit the runner from deliberately crashing into a defender who has the ball, for the sole purpose of knocking the ball loose, because the runner knows he is going to be out otherwise.
The fielder should not be in the base path without possession of the ball. If he is it is obstruction. Anytime a runner deliberately and maliciously crashes into a fielder he should be ejected for unsportsmanlike conduct. However, if a close play occurs and the runner does not slide and makes incidental contact with the defender before he has the ball, no call should be made. If the defender has the ball, the umpire should judge as to whether the runner made an attempt to get around the fielder. If he did, he should not be called out simply because he did not slide or made contact.
In attempting to get around a fielder who has the ball waiting to make the tag, the runner must not run more than 3 feet to either side of a line that goes between him and the base he is advancing to. If he does, he is out for violation of rule 7.08 (a) (1)

AAHHHH!!!!!
I wonder if he knows what carbon paper is?

I laughed til I cried reading this. Tried to imagine what my reaction would be. Thanks for the laugh!!! :)

/ Need help with my geometry #103  
Reading this thread got me to wondering if I still had my very first calculator - early to mid 70's. I found it, put a 9v battery in it and it works. I still like it. Back then I really liked it - I probably slept with it.

Dsc09000.jpg

/ Need help with my geometry #104  
Back in my day, anyone who took anything beyond general math or general science, (9th grade) would know how to use one. So roughly I would say 1/3 of the students. Today?. I would say zero percent. Most would not even know what it was.

I took an introductory slide rule class when I entered college, oh about 1960 or so. I will never forget this one guy's remark, "I don't know what you need to take a class in slide rule for, I can learn to add and subtract on one of those things in five minutes!".

/ Need help with my geometry #105  
I took an introductory slide rule class when I entered college, oh about 1960 or so. I will never forget this one guy's remark, "I don't know what you need to take a class in slide rule for, I can learn to add and subtract on one of those things in five minutes!".

You should have challenged him to show a simple addition on a slide rule.. :D

/ Need help with my geometry #106  
Reading this thread got me to wondering if I still had my very first calculator - early to mid 70's. I found it, put a 9v battery in it and it works. I still like it. Back then I really liked it - I probably slept with it.

View attachment 465989

That is an old timer. It does square roots and has memory function though. The very first handheld one I saw, did not spot the decimal point for you. You still had to do that in your head.

/ Need help with my geometry #107  
That is an old timer. It does square roots and has memory function though. The very first handheld one I saw, did not spot the decimal point for you. You still had to do that in your head.

Since these were in use around 2500 BC, this is probably THE old timer of all old timers.:thumbsup: Abacus_4.jpg

I never learned to use one but they can be used to add, subtract, multiply, divide and also calculate square and cube roots along with decimal or hexadecimal math. I've seem them used to teach Chinese kids how to do math in their heads that I only wish I could do. I saw them in use all over Asia and they just fly with the things. Most are faster than I am with a modern calculator for simple stuff, however they do suck for trig. :D

/ Need help with my geometry #109  
I had a Texas Instrument unit about that same time. They had two models-- one with basic keys and another that they charged quite a bit more for with trig functions. I initially had the basic model. When one of the keys started sticking I took it apart to discover that my basic model actually had the exact same trig functions. They just did not put in the little dome switches where you could activate them. But you could use a pencil erase e.g. to push the switches and the trig operations worked just fine.

Obviously the difference in price between the two "levels" was merely marketing hype.

/ Need help with my geometry #110  
I have a hp58c programmable from 1979