Need ideas for storing manuals and documentation

/ Need ideas for storing manuals and documentation #11  
Thanks for the feedback. Got a few good ideas from hearing what you folks do, will implement one.
Almost all manuals are online now. I have a folder on my laptop with PDFs for all my equipment, kitchen appliances, even ceiling fans.

Then I send the most important (like tractor and implement manuals) to my phone so I can have them anytime.

That way I only have a few manuals I keep in paper like my owners manual, so those few are easy to store in the top drawer of my garage tool cart.

/ Need ideas for storing manuals and documentation #12  
I use a rubermaid box that sits on a shelf in the garage. Keeps the dust and critters out...so far.

/ Need ideas for storing manuals and documentation
Almost all manuals are online now. I have a folder on my laptop with PDFs for all my equipment, kitchen appliances, even ceiling fans.

Then I send the most important (like tractor and implement manuals) to my phone so I can have them anytime.

That way I only have a few manuals I keep in paper like my owners manual, so those few are easy to store in the top drawer of my garage tool cart.

Have some stuff in PDF form, usually things I never got a printed manual for, e.g., older ATVs I purchased used.

I've been in the information technology biz for nearly 40 years. The last 20 years doing web projects. Certainly, if you have PDFs, you can protect them from device changes, crashes, etc., just as you would protect manuals from a house fire, flood, etc., although many people don't do a good job with digital media. Can't even count how many panicked calls I've taken over the years, both professionally and personally, that begins with "Help! I've lost all my [fill in the blank with description of valued digital data]".

As for online access to non-PDF materials: Have seen those go missing many times, too, with acquisitions, out of business, discontinued models, etc. Many small manufacturers never get their stuff online in the first place.

In other words: I like keeping the paperwork on hand. Paper has worked well for centuries.

/ Need ideas for storing manuals and documentation #14  
Have some stuff in PDF form, usually things I never got a printed manual for, e.g., older ATVs I purchased used.

I've been in the information technology biz for nearly 40 years. The last 20 years doing web projects. Certainly, if you have PDFs, you can protect them from device changes, crashes, etc., just as you would protect manuals from a house fire, flood, etc., although many people don't do a good job with digital media. Can't even count how many panicked calls I've taken over the years, both professionally and personally, that begins with "Help! I've lost all my [fill in the blank with description of valued digital data]".

As for online access to non-PDF materials: Have seen those go missing many times, too, with acquisitions, out of business, discontinued models, etc. Many small manufacturers never get their stuff online in the first place.

In other words: I like keeping the paperwork on hand. Paper has worked well for centuries.
Yeah you can definitely lose files. For non pdf I just print to pdf and keep them that way. I just have lost too many paper manuals to oil spills, wind, mice, or just plain losing them.

/ Need ideas for storing manuals and documentation #15  
I have 2 metal drawers in shop for all manuals. Problem is I have manuals there for equip I have not seen for 20 years. I really need to sort thru that junk

/ Need ideas for storing manuals and documentation #16  
I have a couple of things like Rswayn posted, more like the bottom one in his post.

/ Need ideas for storing manuals and documentation #17  
Slider type gallon food storage bags for those manuals that will fit inside. 8.5 x 11 won’t quite fit though.

/ Need ideas for storing manuals and documentation #19  
I try and organize manuals and related paperwork for specific equipment in separate three or four ring hard sided binders on shelf in the shop, and office. If I have soft sided organizer binders I use them. Emphasis on try.

Attachments

• KIMG0348.JPG
    KIMG0348.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 64
  • KIMG0347.JPG
    KIMG0347.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 70
   / Need ideas for storing manuals and documentation #20  
I've lots of pendaflex file drawer space. Recently got a JD tech manual from a friend here. The wife brought me one of the bigger pendaflex holders. She put it into the drawer next to my other JD stuff.