need info from owners of 3830, 4330, 4630, or 5030

/ need info from owners of 3830, 4330, 4630, or 5030 #11  
My L4330 will handle a 6' KK bush hog. Any bigger and I would start getting concerned about keeping enough weigh on the front end and enough HP to go through heavy brush.
It handles a 6' Woods box blade very well.
Hind sight being 20/20 for a few thousand more I would get a L5030.

/ need info from owners of 3830, 4330, 4630, or 5030 #12  
My L4330 will handle a 6' KK bush hog. Any bigger and I would start getting concerned about keeping enough weigh on the front end and enough HP to go through heavy brush.
It handles a 6' Woods box blade very well.
Hind sight being 20/20 for a few thousand more I would get a L5030.

/ need info from owners of 3830, 4330, 4630, or 5030 #13  
I have a couple hundred acres and at times I likely severely over use my 5030. I have a fairly complete metal working shop and I made a 7' rotary cutter to where I can use it as a battering ram. It is completely boxed in with 3/8" wall 2X2 square tubing and has 2X3 3/8" angle every 14" across the top. I used 1/2" hardened wear plating on the bottom edges and on the leading edges. I do have a slip clutch to protect the gear box, but otherwise, if I can push it over with my loader, I'll chop it up. I got a nice sized rock this last time out and put it through the top of my cutter between my angle bracing. I don't think I really want to add any more steel to this thing, so I'll likely just beat that rip back down and weld it shut. I'd guess my brush cutter weighs in around 1200 pounds or more.

I have hills so steep that you cannot walk up them. I've run off the top of some using my FEL as additional stopping power and made sure that I hit all the bushes and small trees I could on the way down. The cutter is behind me chopping away as I go down. The only time I run short on power is when I bury it into the ground or drop off in a deep hole and have the cutter go under water. That bogs the engine down quite a bit. Otherwise, I've never had an issue handling a 7' rotary cutter.

/ need info from owners of 3830, 4330, 4630, or 5030 #14  
I have a couple hundred acres and at times I likely severely over use my 5030. I have a fairly complete metal working shop and I made a 7' rotary cutter to where I can use it as a battering ram. It is completely boxed in with 3/8" wall 2X2 square tubing and has 2X3 3/8" angle every 14" across the top. I used 1/2" hardened wear plating on the bottom edges and on the leading edges. I do have a slip clutch to protect the gear box, but otherwise, if I can push it over with my loader, I'll chop it up. I got a nice sized rock this last time out and put it through the top of my cutter between my angle bracing. I don't think I really want to add any more steel to this thing, so I'll likely just beat that rip back down and weld it shut. I'd guess my brush cutter weighs in around 1200 pounds or more.

I have hills so steep that you cannot walk up them. I've run off the top of some using my FEL as additional stopping power and made sure that I hit all the bushes and small trees I could on the way down. The cutter is behind me chopping away as I go down. The only time I run short on power is when I bury it into the ground or drop off in a deep hole and have the cutter go under water. That bogs the engine down quite a bit. Otherwise, I've never had an issue handling a 7' rotary cutter.

/ need info from owners of 3830, 4330, 4630, or 5030 #15  
Neighbor has a L3830 HST identical to mine, 72" Brush Hog , no issues whatsoever keeping the front end down, no loader on either. Power only runs out when she goes to fast or waits till the grass is 4' high and out here, its always green because of irrigation so that makes it a bit tougher as well. Remember too, if your carry the full weight of the mower on the 3 pt hitch while mowing, your doing something wrong.

/ need info from owners of 3830, 4330, 4630, or 5030 #16  
Neighbor has a L3830 HST identical to mine, 72" Brush Hog , no issues whatsoever keeping the front end down, no loader on either. Power only runs out when she goes to fast or waits till the grass is 4' high and out here, its always green because of irrigation so that makes it a bit tougher as well. Remember too, if your carry the full weight of the mower on the 3 pt hitch while mowing, your doing something wrong.

/ need info from owners of 3830, 4330, 4630, or 5030 #17  
Dargo, if you put the cutter underwater, you will kill the motor. My old L48 which has the same engine as the L5030 would stall very fast when my mower went into the pond. My old International 454D which dwarfs the L48 in power would stall as well. If yours does not stall in the water, better check and make sure you still have blades. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh yeah, one other thing, watch how you treat where the lower link attaches to the axle/brake housing. You will snap the outside support fairly easy if you are not careful, ask me how I know. The L48 had much more beef in the lower link attachment. For that reason Gene, I would think if you did not need to remove the loader, get a L48 without the hoe. Thats what I did for $26000 back in 2001.

/ need info from owners of 3830, 4330, 4630, or 5030 #18  
Dargo, if you put the cutter underwater, you will kill the motor. My old L48 which has the same engine as the L5030 would stall very fast when my mower went into the pond. My old International 454D which dwarfs the L48 in power would stall as well. If yours does not stall in the water, better check and make sure you still have blades. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh yeah, one other thing, watch how you treat where the lower link attaches to the axle/brake housing. You will snap the outside support fairly easy if you are not careful, ask me how I know. The L48 had much more beef in the lower link attachment. For that reason Gene, I would think if you did not need to remove the loader, get a L48 without the hoe. Thats what I did for $26000 back in 2001.

/ need info from owners of 3830, 4330, 4630, or 5030
Dargo the DareDevil /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

There are times it would be nice to have an outfit like that /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif but I think I'll stick with more normal operational procedures!
I do appreciate the info. I'm leaning toward the 5030 and the 1000 lb cutter. I use a 500 lb 4ft cutter behind my BX22, so surely I should have no issues with the 5030 setup.
My biggest decision is whether to get the 3830 with remotes, top-n-tilt, and probably at least 3 implements or the 5030 without remotes and a couple of implements for the same price. I'm sure I could live with the 3830 and might never need more power, just hard to give up the desire for more power! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
A dangerous question - what would you guys do??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Terry

/ need info from owners of 3830, 4330, 4630, or 5030
Dargo the DareDevil /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

There are times it would be nice to have an outfit like that /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif but I think I'll stick with more normal operational procedures!
I do appreciate the info. I'm leaning toward the 5030 and the 1000 lb cutter. I use a 500 lb 4ft cutter behind my BX22, so surely I should have no issues with the 5030 setup.
My biggest decision is whether to get the 3830 with remotes, top-n-tilt, and probably at least 3 implements or the 5030 without remotes and a couple of implements for the same price. I'm sure I could live with the 3830 and might never need more power, just hard to give up the desire for more power! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
A dangerous question - what would you guys do??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Terry