Need input on a welder for a newbie

/ Need input on a welder for a newbie #1  

pwright

Gold Member
Tractor
2012 Bobcat CT225
It has been many years since I last welded anything and that was with an old stick welder. IIRC, the profile of the top was like an octagon and it had a dial that my father had marked with what range to use with what rods. Can't say that I knew what I was doing then and my only training was from my father. Still I usually managed to get done what I needed done.

Now I want to be able to weld again. Modifying implements for my tractor. Perhaps building a ballast/tote box. Racks and maybe bumpers for my Ranger. That kind of stuff.

Here's the rub. My barn/workshop has no power. Nearest power pole is miles away. We are putting up a small solar power system for the barn that will handle lights and a power tool or two at one time. Strictly 120v stuff. So not really capable of running a welder.

What I do have is the Champion 3500/4000 watt generator. I guess it might run one of the smaller inverter type welders (120v 20a)? It's been doing fine for what we ask of it which is running the well pump to fill the storage tank and it runs the AC on the travel trailer when needed.

Or maybe it would better to get one of the welder/generator units like the Hobart Champion 145? I know that Miller and Lincoln both have units similar to the larger Hobart Champion ELITE welder/generator but now we are talking serious money for a hobby though with a side benefit of being a decent sized backup power generator for the house.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

/ Need input on a welder for a newbie #2  
<snip>decent sized backup power generator for the house.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

So buy the backup generator, thats a necessity, so what if it comes with some welding stuff?

That's what I tell SWMBO.

/ Need input on a welder for a newbie #3  
Your generator won't be enough to run a decent welder. Most of the Hobart are rebadged Miller's since they are both owned by the same parent company. Don't know the model number but you might want to step up the 200 amp (Bobcat maybe) engine drive. Look at the Miller catalogue online. A lot of times it isn't much more money to upgrade to a bigger/better machine. 145 amps and 30% duty cycle isn't too much. Once you have a welder and get some practice, you'll want to use it more.

/ Need input on a welder for a newbie #4  
i use a 5500 watt generator and everlast 140 stick welder for my portable welding.it works.since the everlast 140 is 110 or 220 volt ,you could weld with your generator and the welder set on 110. until you get a bigger generator.

/ Need input on a welder for a newbie
So buy the backup generator, thats a necessity, so what if it comes with some welding stuff?

That's what I tell SWMBO.

Heh. Yeah, that might fly.

Your generator won't be enough to run a decent welder. Most of the Hobart are rebadged Miller's since they are both owned by the same parent company.
So is there any reason to believe the Hobart won't work as well? Though the Bobcat does support more than just stick welding so that's a plus.

Don't know the model number but you might want to step up the 200 amp (Bobcat maybe) engine drive. <snip> A lot of times it isn't much more money to upgrade to a bigger/better machine.

I'm considering it but the difference in price would pay for leads, helmet and other supplies. The Hobart can be picked up for $3300 not on sale at the local Tractor Supply. I might be able to order the Miller online for near that price.

145 amps and 30% duty cycle isn't too much.

As in won't be good enough for what I want to do or will be frustrating to work with? I am concerned that if I get something smaller and less capable that it will end up being frustrating to work with and learn how to weld again.

i use a 5500 watt generator and everlast 140 stick welder for my portable welding.it works.since the everlast 140 is 110 or 220 volt ,you could weld with your generator and the welder set on 110. until you get a bigger generator.

That was kinda what I was hoping to do but my generator is a wee bit underpowered it seems.

Decisions, decisions.

/ Need input on a welder for a newbie #6  
The Hobart will work fine. Sometimes the same machine labeled a Hobart is cheaper. I only mentioned Miller because I'm more familiar with the Miller models. If the Hobart you mentioned is the model with the case around it and I think a 10,000 watt generator, it's good machine. A lot of times it's cheaper to buy a welder/generator than to buy an industrial type generator only. Your generator might run a small inverter. My generator is a little smaller and couldn't run a 90 amp inverter. Lower duty cycle means you'll have to wait for the machine to cool off between welds. This can be real frustrating if you're doing a bigger job and you want to get it done.

/ Need input on a welder for a newbie #7  
If it were me, I'd sell that generator you have and buy one of these! A buddy of mine has one, it will run 6010 every bit as nice as my Lincoln Short hoods, and run 7018 every bit as nice as my Lincoln Red Face machines. Couple weeks ago I set my LN-25 up on his 305-G and ran some .035" Mig, it ran every bit as nice as my V350-Pro. Welder Mike just bought one he should be posting real soon what he thinks of his.
Rangerョ 305 G Engine Driven Welder (Kohler)

/ Need input on a welder for a newbie
The Hobart will work fine. Sometimes the same machine labeled a Hobart is cheaper. I only mentioned Miller because I'm more familiar with the Miller models. If the Hobart you mentioned is the model with the case around it and I think a 10,000 watt generator, it's good machine.
That's the one.
champion-elite.jpg

A lot of times it's cheaper to buy a welder/generator than to buy an industrial type generator only. Your generator might run a small inverter. My generator is a little smaller and couldn't run a 90 amp inverter.
I think a friend has a 90 amp inverter unit. I may have to borrow it and see.

Lower duty cycle means you'll have to wait for the machine to cool off between welds. This can be real frustrating if you're doing a bigger job and you want to get it done.
Ah. I can see that.

If it were me, I'd sell that generator you have and buy one of these! A buddy of mine has one, it will run 6010 every bit as nice as my Lincoln Short hoods, and run 7018 every bit as nice as my Lincoln Red Face machines. Couple weeks ago I set my LN-25 up on his 305-G and ran some .035" Mig, it ran every bit as nice as my V350-Pro. Welder Mike just bought one he should be posting real soon what he thinks of his.
Rangerョ 305 G Engine Driven Welder (Kohler)

I think that one may be a bit more than I need or should spend. The Ranger 225 is a possibility though.

As I see it, I have three options.
  • Buy a small enough welder that can run off of a generator that does 3500w continuous. Questionable that a welder that small will be useful.
  • Buy a nice starter welder and a separate generator capable of running the welder. Doable but likely to be nearly as much as a welder/generator unit. I also end up with a generator that will probably only be used for the welder as it will be bigger and heavier. I can load my little Champion by myself into the back of the Ranger and take it where it needs to be.
  • Buy something like the Hobart, Miller or Ranger welder/generators. Spending more money but will have a decent generator as well. Of course I won't be able to move it except with the tractor.

/ Need input on a welder for a newbie #9  
I have a new Hobart 140 Handler I love it. Runs off 120V.

/ Need input on a welder for a newbie #10  
I'll just throw this in. Big unit or little, if you're a novice welder, look toward a wire feed system. My stick welding experience sounds much like yours...I was never very good, but generally got things stuck together. Without striking an arc of any kind for ten or fifteen years, I bought a wire welder and an auto-darkening hood, and I'm getting pretty good, as in not every weld is butt-ugly. Wire feed is soooo much easier.