Need to build a clamp on blade for my loader for digging short trenches and holes to

/ Need to build a clamp on blade for my loader for digging short trenches and holes to
Just so you know I need to dig out a broken water line and these stainless steel knees don't really like to much of that.

/ Need to build a clamp on blade for my loader for digging short trenches and holes to
From a post by a star in June 2008
I was looking in the Northern catalog and saw just what I thought I needed, a quick spade. I decided to make one myself...

I mounted it like my Paynes clamp on forks, which by the way I am super happy with.

I took a 13" diameter by 3/8" wall pipe and cut out a section. I used a cold saw, this milwaukee I find works well, it zips throught the 3/8 and later in the post you can see it cut off the 3/4" plate steel.

I torch cut the shovel point profile and a bit of the front edge bevel.

The shovel point burned up three 4-1/2" grinding wheels to sharpen it.
He includes pics will try and copy.

From a post by asgar in June 2008
"I was looking in the Northern catalog and saw just what I thought I needed, a quick spade. I decided to make one myself...

I mounted it like my Paynes clamp on forks, which by the way I am super happy with.

I took a 13" diameter by 3/8" wall pipe and cut out a section. I used a cold saw, this milwaukee I find works well, it zips throught the 3/8 and later in the post you can see it cut off the 3/4" plate steel.

I torch cut the shovel point profile and a bit of the front edge bevel.

The shovel point burned up three 4-1/2" grinding wheels to sharpen it."
He includes pics will try and copy.

images.jpeg

/ Need to build a clamp on blade for my loader for digging short trenches and holes to #14  
I have the Paulmco one from Northern Tool. Mine is the pallet forks mount one h was under $200 a few years back. It works ok. I've dug a few live Christmas tree holes & a downspout drain trench with it.

The L4060 runs is better than the L3200 did. But that's kind of Duh! 5k lbs vs 2.5k. The L3200 did ok & took 15 minutes or so to dig that hole in the picture in clay. If it's anything more than that small hole I'm borrowing a friends backhoe or $350 a day to rent a mini-ex from Home Depot. Not selling the bucket spade, but dont use it much either.IMG_20131224_130200.jpg

/ Need to build a clamp on blade for my loader for digging short trenches and holes to #16  
I have the Paulmco one from Northern Tool. Mine is the pallet forks mount one h was under $200 a few years back. It works ok. I've dug a few live Christmas tree holes & a downspout drain trench with it.

The L4060 runs is better than the L3200 did. But that's kind of Duh! 5k lbs vs 2.5k. The L3200 did ok & took 15 minutes or so to dig that hole in the picture in clay. If it's anything more than that small hole I'm borrowing a friends backhoe or $350 a day to rent a mini-ex from Home Depot. Not selling the bucket spade, but dont use it much either.View attachment 615682

That one out there on those forks will dig quite a bit deeper than mine on the bucket. Of course it all depends on what you have for "dirt". I don't have any.. :)

That quite a lot bigger hole than I need to do
This has given me some good ideas to build one.

/ Need to build a clamp on blade for my loader for digging short trenches and holes to #18  
That quite a lot bigger hole than I need to do
This has given me some good ideas to build one.

Look at the build thread I posted and don't do some of the stupid things I did the first time and you will be fine. Mine is still going strong now.

Look at the build thread I posted and don't do some of the stupid things I did the first time and you will be fine. Mine is still going strong now.
I checked your original post and you did a great job and sounds like you figured out right away the few weak spots. Having worked in tool die and jig and fixture design I already had a pretty good idea what I wanted to build. You gave me good ideas now just need to decide where to put this in queue with other projects.

/ Need to build a clamp on blade for my loader for digging short trenches and holes to #20  
I checked your original post and you did a great job and sounds like you figured out right away the few weak spots. Having worked in tool die and jig and fixture design I already had a pretty good idea what I wanted to build. You gave me good ideas now just need to decide where to put this in queue with other projects.

Rgr that, I have "dug" several ditches, but we almost don't have dirt here, it is just rocks with some clay mixed in, and it is ALL rough digging. If you had black dirt, you could probably just put it in and drive slowly forward.