Need to get up to speed on ZTs

/ Need to get up to speed on ZTs #41  
What arrived here today. Wondering how long it will take me to get comfortable going around a tree. Those steering arms are quite sensitive.

Attachments

• Ryobi ZT.JPG
    Ryobi ZT.JPG
    172.1 KB · Views: 79
   / Need to get up to speed on ZTs #42  
You'll get used to it fast. My first experience ever on a ZT was backing my new one off my trailer. That almost ended in disaster but somehow got it down without incident. Still not sure how.

My experience as a new ZT owner is that you just take it slow and it comes pretty naturally after an hour or so of seat time. I still don't fly around trees and beds like the pros do. But it is way faster than a push mower and way more precise than my tractor/bushhog. So I'm happy.

/ Need to get up to speed on ZTs #43  
It really doesn't take long at all to get used to normal mowing. Takes a bit longer to get good at things like operating closely around things (fences, houses, trees, etc.) and on slopes. Spend some time on the open flat areas first before tackling those things.

Nice mower. Congrats!

Rob

/ Need to get up to speed on ZTs #44  
What arrived here today. Wondering how long it will take me to get comfortable going around a tree. Those steering arms are quite sensitive.
I used my new 48" SCAG Liberty Z for the first time this week.
I probably go too fast, but the machine seems to just want to go fast!
I really like the SCAG, but it rides like a bucking bronco on my rather rough grass areas.
Apparently is is possible to get an air ride seat, but the $900 cost is a bit much.

Last edited:
   / Need to get up to speed on ZTs #45  
That might be the best $900 you ever spend depending on how much you mow, how rough the ground it and your physical condition. I am on my second tractor with air ride, the current Kubota came with out the air ride and it is worth ever cent it cost to change it. Every cent.
My concern would be what it might do to the seat height. If it raises it be sure you still have the clearance you need between your legs and the steering levers and it will fill little more tipsy if it raises you by much.

/ Need to get up to speed on ZTs #46  
I went skidding down a compound hill into my neighbor's tall grass the first time I took the Ryobi down the hill to the "blueberry" patch. It slopes only slightly but slopes to the side as well towards the neighbor's. Then I went looking for videos on how to run them on slopes. Carefully. Slopes with ponds or fences at the bottom are best done by backing down to the bottom. Some can mow across the slope, but compound slopes can be a problem.

My first time around some of my fence surrounds around some small shrubs and trees resulted in one of the rear tires smashing the fence.

Main reason I got it is to enable ME to do the yard in front and to both rear sides of the house. Will do this, but the left rear is a challenge, as it has a slope that I'll have to back down and go up. The thing is a billy goat going uphill because the weight of my body ends up pretty much concentration right onto the tires. The wife had normally been doing the yard with a self-propelled push mower, but she cannot do it in the high heat.

/ Need to get up to speed on ZTs #47  
Ralph, I have experienced all you have described on slopes and I have found be sure the grass is dry. Any dampness is a lubricate for sliding. Turn slowly. I don't have to back up on the slopes we have. I asked a good bit of questions here last year on thoughts on mowing a wet slope and what I ended up with I used my Kubota B2710 with finishing mower when it is wet. Had considered ag type tread tires but could not find them in the size my mower uses.

Hope have my issues mainly solved due to thinking may have source of wetness on the slope solved. I will totally agree it is right up with any theme park ride scary when they turn loose on a slope. Be careful. Hey do check tires pressure.

/ Need to get up to speed on ZTs #48  
^^^^
Having a steering wheel really helps traction, control and stability when mowing on hills and steep areas.

286F5EFB-B134-4F42-A8C4-ADC2134BF1F9.jpeg

/ Need to get up to speed on ZTs #49  
Yeah. I'd prefer a steering wheel and forward/reverse pedals like it has. Wish Ryobi had done that on its ZT. It has a steering wheel for its riding mower.

/ Need to get up to speed on ZTs #50  
I just got the Gravely but.....

I wish it had a brake pedal. Kinda like a panic button.

Takes practice!